Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    He's gonna have to do it sooner or later. I personally think it should be later.... Like movie 3 to finish off his saga.
    I'd like to see this be sort of a swerve. Maybe following Ivan's defeat by Rocky his career tanked because he couldn't get booked because of the Apollo fight, and he was disgraced due to losing to Rocky in such a public spectacle.

It would be interesting if the whole film was built up to this confrontation only to find that the Creed/Drago fight had broken both families.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I'm a Rocky III stan so, WHATEVER... Nah, I agree, I hate making this about old Rocky foils as opposed to what new construct MBJCreed would have come up with. What's next, Tommy Gun's kid falls out of the sky in part three? I didn't see Creed until last summer but it was better than I figured it would be. I just liked seeing Phylicia Rashad... Allen (I guess maybe she's not Rashad anymore) in a movie. Claire Huxtable is holding up pretty well.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I think they should deal with the fact that Boxing is sort of losing it's appeal in the rise of MMA. That's an interesting story to tell and a logical continuation of the "Rocky/Creed" franchise.

I don't necessarily want to see him try to become a MMA Fighter, but just show that for up and comers boxing isn't quite what it was in pre-UFC.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I have not seen the Supergirl TV show, nor do I read her current comic so I have no opinion on her hooking up with black Jimmy Olsen. Thus I didn't respond to people who do watch the show and have strong opinions about it. Why would I be asking for "proof" in a discussion that I'm not having regarding a subject I don't know anything about?

Anyway, if you're still following all my posts, I'll probably pop in the DC and Marvel threads soon and there will be more belly dancing and more corny pop tunes tonite! Grab a beer and join the party!
    Well, in the words of Columbo, there's just one more thing.

Back in #32939, you said:

Now let's say Smith was calling him "cracker" and "h*nky" throughout and the movie seemed to justify his behavior maybe you'd have a case for black on white racism. Although, keep in mind there's some people who feel SS had some subtle stereotyping of minorities among other things.
    I still argue that if you advance the idea that *maybe* I can make a case for "black on white racism" if the film has explicit anti-white insults, then that's tantamount to stating that the only real measure of racism is the explicit insult. Unless we're dealing with two separate standards of proof.

If we're not dealing with separate standards of proof, then by implication SS cannot be guilty of either "subtle anti-white stereotyping" or "subtle anti-minority stereotyping," as long as there are no explicit insults to someone's ethnicity.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I think they should deal with the fact that Boxing is sort of losing it's appeal in the rise of MMA. That's an interesting story to tell and a logical continuation of the "Rocky/Creed" franchise.

I don't necessarily want to see him try to become a MMA Fighter, but just show that for up and comers boxing isn't quite what it was in pre-UFC.
    These days I find boxing more exciting than MMA. Lately, MMA has structured itself way too much around striking in order to be more fast paced, but as a trade-off, it's basically sacrificed the thing that used to make it more interesting to watch than boxing: it's ground game. It was really exciting watching two grapplers going to the mat and playing chess. Seeing someone reverse a mount and turn it into a tapout was just an incredible display of endurance and skill. I LOVED that shit. But now, they go to the mat and if nothing happens after some arbitrary count, the match gets paused and they get stood up to bang fists. It's boring. If I have to just watch people punch each other, may as well stick with boxing, where they're better at it.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Well, in the words of Columbo, there's just one more thing.

Back in #32939, you said:

I still argue that if you advance the idea that *maybe* I can make a case for "black on white racism" if the film has explicit anti-white insults, then that's tantamount to stating that the only real measure of racism is the explicit insult. Unless we're dealing with two separate standards of proof.

If we're not dealing with separate standards of proof, then by implication SS cannot be guilty of either "subtle anti-white stereotyping" or "subtle anti-minority stereotyping," as long as there are no explicit insults to someone's ethnicity.
    I don't mind that you seem to be stalking my posts, but you're missing out on some fun bubblegum music and me half remembering comics from decades ago if don't join me in the other threads I post in. Trying to catch me in some sort of "gotcha" revolving around a argument that you started but couldn't actually support, has so far been futile.

Now..."standards of proof...blah, blah, blah". You quoted me giving an example of something I thought might be an example of racism. I didn't say that racial slurs were the only measure of racism. This still doesn't help your case.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    You see a version of this with female villains too.

A really hot woman is NEVER beyond redemption in genre fiction. If she was then then the hero couldn't ever bang her.

And hot women that the audience identifier/hero in genre fiction CAN'T have aren't to be tolerated.

You are kinda seeing this with Harley Quinn right now. She's a canonical murdering nut job but she's not so bad because...she's cute?

It's not like she ever reformed/became sane.

All she did was realize that the Joker didn't care about her.
    There is the hot girls can't be evil trope. Kylie ren's not even hot though, female characters are supposed to sacrifice themselves, and the crazy guy's not even cute? So unfair...

Quote Originally Posted by Holt
    Same thing with Marrow. She was butt ugly for most of her existence and then when she reformed and joined the X-Men, they came up with some bullshit plot where she got injured and then a healing device screwed up and accidentally rewrote her genes so she would be beautiful.

A lot of dudes can't handle the idea of a female protagonist who isn't crazy hot.
    Variation on the hot girls can't be evil, lol yes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    I'm a Rocky III stan so, WHATEVER... Nah, I agree, I hate making this about old Rocky foils as opposed to what new construct MBJCreed would have come up with. What's next, Tommy Gun's kid falls out of the sky in part three? I didn't see Creed until last summer but it was better than I figured it would be. I just liked seeing Phylicia Rashad... Allen (I guess maybe she's not Rashad anymore) in a movie. Claire Huxtable is holding up pretty well.
    I'd rather see Clubber's....daughter. The possibilities are endless.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 02-28-2018 at 07:47 AM.

Sandy Kim of The Herder Witch talks about Black Panther.

https://twitter.com/skimcasual/statu...24582832443392

And from another writer, Rahawa Haile talks about watching the film from a first generation African-American perspective.

https://longreads.com/2018/02/22/how...o-one-another/

She's a bit critical of the character of Ross.

I don't mind that you seem to be stalking my posts, but you're missing out on some fun bubblegum music and me half remembering comics from decades ago if don't join me in the other threads I post in. Trying to catch me in some sort of "gotcha" revolving around a argument that you started but couldn't actually support, has so far been futile.

Now..."standards of proof...blah, blah, blah". You quoted me giving an example of something I thought might be an example of racism. I didn't say that racial slurs were the only measure of racism. This still doesn't help your case.
    I was pretty sure you'd counter by saying that you'd only advanced one possible measure of racism.

But the fact that it's the only one you have advanced is the "gotcha," because it indicates that you aren't really interested in setting rigorous standards of proof-- even though you insist that I've failed the test.

It would be correct to say, "I didn't get X from Movie Y." Happens all the time. But when you ask someone for proof, then you're opening a different can of worms.

Re: "stalking"-- I only checked about a month back to see if you'd been demanding extensive proofs of others on this thread. I didn't find anything-- maybe there's stuff further back, but that was as much interest as I could work up in the subject.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    I was pretty sure you'd counter by saying that you'd only advanced one possible measure of racism.

But the fact that it's the only one you have advanced is the "gotcha," because it indicates that you aren't really interested in setting rigorous standards of proof-- even though you insist that I've failed the test.

It would be correct to say, "I didn't get X from Movie Y." Happens all the time. But when you ask someone for proof, then you're opening a different can of worms.

Re: "stalking"-- I only checked about a month back to see if you'd been demanding extensive proofs of others on this thread. I didn't find anything-- maybe there's stuff further back, but that was as much interest as I could work up in the subject.
    I'm telling you, you're missing all the fun posts..."Sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows everything wonderful is what I feel, when we're together..."

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

I'm telling you, you're missing all the fun posts..."Sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows everything wonderful is what I feel, when we're together..."
    What do they call those pesky little fish that follow Sharks? You got one on your tail, Ed.

Invincible Member

There's actually a lot left out concerning race and racism in the punk rock and hardcore scenes back in the day but as a ten minute intro this wasn't bad
    Last edited by ed2962; 03-01-2018 at 05:48 AM.

ATLANTA comes back tonight. I'm all over it. Zazie. Beetz, That is all.
    Took me forever to catch back up on S1, FX don't just keep all their shit out there, it re-airs in waves. Can't wait.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.