Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The MCU does not have a good, diverse roster?
    Apparently not for a few DC fans here. To them, Suicide Squad ran a clinic on diversity.

Valkyrie, Falcon, War Machine, Gamora, Heimdal, Mordo, Nick Fury, Melinda May, Daisy Johnson, Luke Cage, Elektra...

Granted, there is a dearth of LGBT characters, probably because of China and Russia.
    Most of these are supporting characters at best, Gamora is an alien and Elektra is one of the most obvious instances of the Marvel Netflix shows mishandling of race and gender.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-03-2018 at 01:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    Apparently not for a few DC fans here. To them, Suicide Squad ran a clinic on diversity.
    The DCEU for it's flaws has been more willing to put PoC in important roles and not just as sidekicks. We didn't have a speaking role for a black woman in the MCU until Civil War, their 13th film.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The DCEU for it's flaws has been more willing to put PoC in important roles and not just as sidekicks. We didn't have a speaking role for a black woman in the MCU until Civil War, their 13th film.
    And Marvel's MCU didn't have a black character as the lead character in a movie until their 18th film. Yet DC gets all sorts of criticism from the Marvel fans because they don't have anything to match it.
    Never mind that the DCEU is only five films in and has already beat the MCU in having a female led film by the 4th DCEU film.

Most of these are supporting characters at best, Gamora is an alien and Elektra is one of the most obvious instances of the Marvel Netflix shows mishandling of race and gender.
    Why was Elektra a mishandling of race and gender? Not disagreeing, just don't know what you mean.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Ok, I wasn't saying the MCU movies and tv shows didn't have any POC characters. I was just trying to say that picking characters from outside the MCU would give a better selection of minority characters.
    I am not sure. How many do you need?

We're talking about a hypothetical Marvel Injustice game.
    You need about 24 characters, 8 or so of which will be POC, 8 or so who will be female (with some overlap between the two), and 3-4 or so who will be indeterminables like Groot and the Destroyer, and 2 or 3 of which won't be from any kind of Marvel at all, like Darth Vader of Mr. Incredible.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Yes. Valkyrie would be a must. I'd love to get the X-characters Marvel and Capcom shot themselves in the foot by excluding back too. That actually led me to wonder, if we get Iceman in the reboot we know we're getting if the Disney/Fox merger goes through, will they acknowledge him as gay?
    NO. At best you will see them pull a Static Shock with Iceman. He'll be gay on the show or the movie but it's never stated.

Richie was gay in Static Shock and McDuffie said there were hints about it because they couldn't be OPEN with his sexuality.

Disney is not going to be that open unlike Cartoon Network. They are still looking at keeping as much money as they can without offending certain "groups". Especially when dealing with stuff that might be targeted for kids and tweens.

IN order for them to understand-you would have to have someone HIGH up with kids in school-who has LGBT stuff rampant going on.

I have had gay parents with kids in my school. More from the two fathers stand point than two mothers.

I go dig through my school library and see PLENTY of books with LGBT leads that are available to check out by anybody. If you know who E Lynn Harris is-he's one and I have seen more. Black Panther WOW is written by a gay woman and that book is a top 10 seller on Amazon for teens. America Chavez has been up there too. We won't discuss RIverdale.

Disney is acting scared but the reality is our kids are dealing with this everyday. SO LGBT content in Marvel movies or games should not be an issue. If some MOms group take issue-tell them to visit a school and look around.

Mighty Member

Just got back from finally seeing Black Panther in IMAX, and I must confess it was worth the exorbitant ticket price since the visuals and soundtrack really benefited from the format. Especially impressive since I was afraid of over-inflating my expectations due to insane hype this was getting. A little annoyed though that they spoilers:
    killed Klaw (the guy who's SUPPOSED to be to BP what the Joker is to Batman). Hell, they could've even spared Killmonger and saved him for a Thunderbolts film or a sequel where he gets an army of zombies, like in the comic.
    end of spoilers Also, I wasn't quite seeing where all the praise of Killmonger as "Best Marvel Villain EVARRR!" was coming from (despite the crushingly sad backstory). Still, as the sum of its parts, this film succeeds in my book.
    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 03-03-2018 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    Why was Elektra a mishandling of race and gender? Not disagreeing, just don't know what you mean.
    Basically, it's the unfortunate implications of having the evil love interest that is oh so wrong for Matt be the woman of color while Karen the idealised love interest is white.

BANNED

Basically, it's the unfortunate implications of having the evil love interest that is oh so wrong for Matt be the woman of color while Karen the idealised love interest is white.
    That really feels like reaching.

Extraordinary Member

So people should praise & put down money for a flawed product based on racial/gender representation?

I don't have money to burn like that. I'm not gonna praise a film that ultimately did not entertain me just because of casting.

I don't support Tyler Perry stuff, slave films, and hood movies, either.

Extraordinary Member

This is Matt Murdock we are talking about. It's only a matter of time before someone adapts the "Born Again" story for live action.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    And Marvel's MCU didn't have a black character as the lead character in a movie until their 18th film. Yet DC gets all sorts of criticism from the Marvel fans because they don't have anything to match it.
    Never mind that the DCEU is only five films in and has already beat the MCU in having a female led film by the 4th DCEU film.
    Only because DC owns Wonder Woman.

DC already has female character that are household names to the general public. They won't have to
    build audience recognition from scratch.

It's the same reason you are hearing noises about a Harley Queen movie and and Batgirl movie ( even though nobody can figure out what to have Batgirl do in it).

All DC did was use one of its mulligans. I give it credit in not managing to fail at even that sure, but a Wonder Woman movie is a no brainer in a way that a Black Widow movie is not.
    Last edited by Vic Vega; 03-04-2018 at 10:28 AM.

That really feels like reaching.
    It really isn't and you can see this point brought up in many discussions regarding Netflix Elektra and race in general in Daredevil.
    So people should praise & put down money for a flawed product based on racial/gender representation?
    Care to point out where I said that?
    This is Matt Murdock we are talking about. It's only a matter of time before someone adapts the "Born Again" story for live action.
    I’m criticizing how the characters are handled NOW not how they might be handled in future.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 03-04-2018 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Only because DC owns Wonder Woman.

DC already has female character that are household names to the general public. They won't have to
    build audience recognition from scratch.

It's the same reason you are hearing noises about a Harley Queen movie and and Batgirl movie ( even though nobody can figure out what to have Batgirl do in it).

All DC did was use one of it mulligans. I give it credit in not managing to fail even that sure,but a Wonder Woman movie is a no brainer in a way that a Black Widow movie is not.
    It isn't like making a Black Widow movie wasn't something people have been asking for since Avengers. Even the Thor movies, their most mediocre output, make a ton of money.