Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    This Remender was tone deaf at best with alot things examples can pretty much be found in most if his Marvel runs in my opinion.. He most definitely didn't plan on that speech being a beautiful deconstruction of why the X-Men metaphor is trash at best, but in alot ways that speech definitely can be viewed as such.. But I give Rick negative credit for that lol..
    I don't think it even you can view it as even accidental deconstruction. It's like someone said, it Rick going, "If we didn't keep talking about racism, it would go away."

I sorta give him more credit for as a writer for not wanting to do stories based on some of the clumsy "metaphor" tropes we've seen since the 90's, than I do for the actual speech that appeared in the comic.
    Last edited by ed2962; 03-15-2018 at 06:52 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    The thing about the all-precious mutant metaphor, is that it's stupid. It's always been stupid, and it's always catered to a deluded crowd of "woke" readers who thought their taste in for profit comics printed by billion dollar conglomerates was indicative of their moral purity. That's why Alex-Gate was so pure, so wonderful, the best thing the X-franchise has ever produced: Because Rick Remender looked at the mutant metaphor, cocked an eyebrow, and said "This is stupid." And he was right. There is absolutely nothing about being a mutant that makes sense through the veil of racism and homophobia. The color of your skin does not make you dangergous. The gender you're attracted to does not make you dangerous. Being capable of blowing up a school gymnasium if you tripped over your jump rope and your ruby quartz raybans fell off your eyes, makes you so goddamn dangerous that I would not want my kids within twenty feet of you. Also, speaking as a Jewish guy, I extort the gentiles to please take Magneto. You can have him. We don't want him. He's a nut.

Seriously, if mutants were a thing, people would be writing congress 24/7 wanting to know when their neighborhoods were gonna get a sentinel.
    Some folks think that does make you a threat.

Remember Generation X issue 38-39. The kids suddenly appeared through a portal to chase some villain. You had white kids there who had no trouble letting Jubliee, Monet, Angelo and the rest run by them.

Yet Synch got his behind beat down into a coma. They ignored that Gen X uniform.

Some folks would not have an issue with mutants as long as they were originally a certain skin tone.

How many times have we seen nor just mutants but heroes walk freely in the city and not get harassed?

Who would want to live in New York with the Fantastic Four? Honestly?

Yet there are more folks with an issue with Prodigy, Synch, Patriot, Riri, Moon Girl and Flint because they are black. Never mind Flint can drop a planet on you with his powers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But even before the Unity team Alex was in X-Factor when it was a government sanctioned mutant team. If that speech would have made since coming from anyone it would have been Wanda or Quicksilver. In that issue of the Avenger when they first joined back in the Stan and Jack days, Wanda asks why didn't we just join the X-Men when they asked and Quicksilver says something like, "Because the Avengers will accept us without always reminding us we're mutants!"
    He can't control what other writers did with the character, he can only retcon it (which pisses everybody off) or ignore it.

It's clear that Remender's favorite version of Havok was the in 80's version that only stayed with the Xmen because he had the hots for Maddy Pryor and
    went on bar crawls with Wolverine.

So I kinda assume for Remender the PAD run of X-Force never happened. I also think it's funny that Remender's reaction to the backlash was to disfigure Havok and
    heel turn him as he left the book.

It wasn't a Chuck Austin level of hostility to the fandom but its as close as we are gonna get these days (most of these guys now are learning NOT
    to pop off on Social Media).

That new JL lineup tho! John Stewart and Cyborg on the same team, Hawkgirl (Kendra) and Martian Manhunter back on the League... Damn! Solid lineup! Im curious to see the other JL teams!
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    That new JL lineup tho! John Stewart and Cyborg on the same team, Hawkgirl (Kendra) and Martian Manhunter back on the League... Damn! Solid lineup! Im curious to see the other JL teams!
    So other than Cyborg, this is pretty much the Cartoon League right? I like that team quite a bit.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Ultimate Member

I bet Snyder won't get McDUffie off the book.

Countdown till Shawn James, Yellow Flash, Diversity & Comics & the rest throw fits over John Stewart......

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I bet Snyder won't get McDUffie off the book.

Countdown till Shawn James, Yellow Flash, Diversity & Comics & the rest throw fits over John Stewart......
    Who cares what they say?
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member

I feel the same way.

DC actually got this right I'm shocked to say..

Now they just need to announce a Vixen lead team, Doing something positive with Bumblebee & Vox-Guardian, Broze tiger, the superior Blue Beetle ( the one in your Avatar), & color/draw Damien now looking like all white kid.. Keep Baz &Cruz around doing something GL or not..

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Who cares what they say?
    The same folks who took McDuffie off of Justice League despite top 10-20 sales.

The same folks who have IGNORED every single complaint about that team since New 52 and did nothing. Yet the echo chamber comes running and they suddenly listen.

Yes John, woo.

Hopefully the other Justice League teams has some prominent Latino and Asian characters with Vixen in at least one of them.
    My priority is black female characters; everything else is secondary.

~~

Marvel: Miles Morales, Riri Williams, Ororo Munroe, Thor, Quentin Quire.
    DC Comics: Vixen, Batman, Bat Family, John Stewart, Roy Harper, Tempest, Poison Ivy, Raven.
    Comics: Y: The Last Man, Justice League America (2009), Ultimate Comics: All New Spider-Man (2011)
    Ships: Thororo/ThunderStorm, Vixen/hasn't been created, Jason Todd/Kathy Duquesne.

~~

Icon/Avatar by LoneNecromancer

Incredible Member

Default Black Superhero Trivia Quiz

Last month, in honor of Black History Month, the African-American employee group at work offered a Black Superhero Trivia Quiz. I ended up being the only participant. The quiz is still online, and its creator gave me the OK to put it out to online fandom.

Here's the link to take the quiz: https://testmoz.com/1597370

It prompts for an email address but doesn't seem to do anything with it.

It doesn't let you leave a question unanswered, so it's your choice - guess or google.

I didn't find a way to get it to tell me the right answer on the one I got wrong. I still think I was right, but the way I answered confused it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Let us know how you did and how you liked the quiz - the creator will be happy to have more people enjoy his efforts!
    --
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

BANNED

I got two wrong: the one about Cyborg's obscure aliases and the one about War Machine's obscure aliases (Really? Hulk Machine?).

Three wrong; War Machine's aliases, and no idea where Blade was born or who killed Spawn.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Invincible Member

I got two wrong. War Machine alias and Vibranium. I got Vibranium wrong though cuz I mispelled it. I guessed at Cyborg's alias and just happened to get it right.