Page 4 of 2337 FirstFirst 1234567814541045041004 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Weiland View Post
    Seeing a lot of off topic posts in here, folks. Please keep it on the subject matter.
    The only off topic posts were from that spammer that I reported.

I debated whether or to sign back up but I caved in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    so are they turning electro black? I heard somewhere they are.
    In the Amazing Spider-Man 2 yes Electro is played by Jamie Foxx.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    Have you read the new Ghost Rider? If so what did you think?
    All-New Ghost Rider is a lot of fun. Tradd Moore's artwork is kinetic and Val Staples' colors are some of the best in the business right now.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Well, I'm happy someone decided to make sure this thread remained. Hopefully the Nu52 version of this thread will be new and improved. So in other words, a Marvel Now reboot instead of a Nu52.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    not feeling the scorched earth or the limited time of the old forums.

anyways, anyone from the old thread that knows what happened to Maj, pm me to tell what happened?
    I'm back.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 05-01-2014 at 05:46 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    I'm back. :smile:
    welcome back

before i head out, from Arturo R. García

After Sterling: Why the U.S. And The NBA Won’t Enter A Post-Racist Era Anytime Soon
    They might be loathe to admit it, but good cheer likely wasn’t the only reason so many people connected to the NBA were so quick to declare Tuesday morning the final chapter in Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling’s relationship with the league. The problem is, the league’s own mechanics all but ensure that won’t be the case. And that’s just on paper.

While it took just four days for the publication of Sterling’s racist and misogynist remarks toward girlfriend V. Stiviano to be met with a lifetime ban, a $2.5 million fine, and the league publicly indicating it’s willing to turf Sterling out as soon as possible, ESPN’s Jemele Hill correctly pointed out that it was, or should have been, years in the making.

“I didn’t look at Donald Sterling like a first-time offender,” Hill said shortly after NBA Commissioner Adam Silver’s roundly-praised verdict. “I looked at him as a habitual offender. It’s just that we caught it on audio. Again, this is a man who, since 2003, settled sexual-harassment suits, racial discrimination [suits]. Anyone who takes the time to read some of those things that are in those reports, you understand that this was far deeper than what happened here.”

[...]

The lack of the “morals clause” is likely why Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban initially called the idea of forcing Sterling out a “slippery slope”; if the league’s Board of Governors was that interested in policing its fraternity of sporting oligarchs, after all, Silver would have been granted the authority to fine a reputed billionaire more than $2.5 million.

Part of the league’s strategy thus far in the court of public opinion has been to Other Sterling, painting him as the One Bad Apple in the league “family.” Silver might be disconcerted to know that people like Bill O’Reilly and his ilk have also seized upon Sterling for the same reason, arguing that the Clippers owner is the type of outlier that disproves the existences of white privilege or institutional racism. That’s what racism really is, the argument will go, often citing people like Sterling as a point of demarcation through which to denigrate activists as “race hustlers.”

[...]

Looking beyond both the basketball court and the court system, however, the temptation will be great for a lot of people to follow the league’s signal and call everything hunky-dory now that Bad Guy Sterling is on his way out. The NBA would definitely not like you to remember or question its efforts to not present players who look like “thugs.” Silver’s remarks on Tuesday also barely saved his young administration from being remembered for a mass boycott by players during nationally-televised (and highly lucrative) playoff games.

But as Brittney Cooper writes in Salon, it’s still dangerous to look past the cases of Sterling and Cliven Bundy in the wake of the Supreme Court’s hit-job on affirmative action:

[...]

“Having people think before they speak is only a partial victory if racism just perpetuates itself in silence,” Hunter-Gault observes. Indeed, while we’d probably all like to believe that Donald Sterling will represent a bump in the road, the mechanics of the culture in which he thrived ensure that won’t be the case, either.

Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

This is definitely a chance to frequent forums that I wouldn't have ventured into.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    so are they turning electro black? I heard somewhere they are.
    Why because of Jaime Fox? Nothing that I have heard. Amazing Spider-Man 2's come and gone so I don't think Marvels doing any electro promotion at least from the comics side.

Do they even use Electro in the comics nowadays?
    The J-man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post

Have you read the new Ghost Rider? If so what did you think?
    I'm loving the hell outta it.
    I grew up in East Los/Boyle Heights, so there's some real familiarity.

Felipe Smith is off to a strong start and his voice for Robbie is great.
    Tradd Moore is killing it in the art department.
    The way he renders flames is beautiful.

Feels like the first run of Jaime Reyes' Blue Beetle but with more bite.

BANNED

while i know the history of the original thread and even though we got some leeway, can we just have a Minority related thread without having it tied to comics and media specifically?

i don't want to see stuff deleted or convo's wiped because of they don't meet the criteria of comics and media, especially with this supposed stricter modding. it's an unnecessary restriction
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonah Weiland View Post
    Seeing a lot of off topic posts in here, folks. Please keep it on the subject matter.

7th Angel is a prophet! Also if we reference our own experiences on CBR isnt that sort of on topic..being a Minority discussing topics in a comic forum IE other media?

Not trying to be funny, but what is considered on and off topic..i wouldnt want to step over a line.

Well, him and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar are absolutely correct in saying that Donald Sterling is only a product of a larger issue at play. Yes, effectively booting Doland Sterling from the "cool kids" club of sports franchise ownership was the right thing to do, but it's not some grand gesture that attacks the root of the problem. Beyond the decades the NBA let him get away with this stuff, society at large has let Donald Sterling and Slumlords like him effectively segregate People of Color into sub-standard housing and neighborhoods that don't get the proper support which perpetrates the diaspora that goes on there.

Also, it continues to make the face of Racisim into some of caricature whereas the worst of this happens in subtle ways, espcially among the systems that our society is built upon. If this country continues to welcome and embrace that idea that only Racist people are these "cartoon" like figures, then it becomes a lot harder to attack the heart of the matter, which are the systems at large.

Yeah, if necessary, I'd be fine with a separation with one thread dealing specifically with entertainment media related talks and the other being a Rita's style minority thread.

Only if necessary though.
    Last edited by Double 0; 05-01-2014 at 07:34 AM.

Just passing on an article. Its about a writer of color's experience within a college creative writing course and why he started creating his own workshops.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...fa-vs-poc.html
    Last edited by Mecegirl; 05-01-2014 at 07:51 AM.

So, because there was a long running one in the Marvel forum, I decided to make another "Minority Problem" thread...

On the DC Forum.

Hopefully the conversations are productive. Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    So, because there was a long running one in the Marvel forum, I decided to make another "Minority Problem" thread...

On the DC Forum.

Hopefully the conversations are productive. Hopefully.
    I was going to say "Good lord that isn't going to end well" but then I remembered the stricter rules. So some genuine discussion can happen, and it certain needs to with how the new Wally West has been portrayed so far.