Page 514 of 2337 FirstFirst ... 1441446450451051151251351451551651751852456461410141514 ... LastLast
Results 7,696 to 7,710 of 35047

Random question, and honestly, this is because of the US version of The Killing. (Hint Hint: Avoid it.)

Anyone know of shows with Native American/First Nation representation? I know of at least Strange Empire and Banshee (which has quite a bit of both Native American and Amish characters, though the NA characters get the short end of the stick...)

Any others?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Random question, and honestly, this is because of the US version of The Killing. (Hint Hint: Avoid it.)

Anyone know of shows with Native American/First Nation representation? I know of at least Strange Empire and Banshee (which has quite a bit of both Native American and Amish characters, though the NA characters get the short end of the stick...)

Any others?
    Longmire formally of A&E and I believe Netflix has saved it

Then if it ever happens........Scalped is getting turned into a tv show......

Any others?
    Due South had quite a few; Benton lived/trained with them for a while, I think?

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    My point was they were black deaths. Contrary to the counter-point that they were rare. How are those examples bad to that point?
    A black character dying in a show where everyone dies isn't a good example; because it's so obviously not about race (unless it's always the black character who dies first, then it is relevant). There are so, SO many shows where black characters die while most others live; why pick examples from shows where everyone dies??? (and why include Charlotte's Webb???) It's just not a good way to frame your arguement; because it dilutes the very obvious and important issue with poor examples. That's like saying if the planet is destroyed someone can site that as an example where black characters die Considering the plethora of good examples, it's seems silly to use such bad ones out of tons of good ones available.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 12-21-2014 at 11:29 AM.

BANNED

A great interview if you like house music or not

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/m...ouse-interview

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I remember watching Anaconda and being like, "Both minorities lived? Wow!"
    I remember seeing Brandy show up at the end of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer kinda randomly and thinking she mustve pushed for that.

Any others?
    There were several Native American characters on Northern Exposure. I don't know for sure if they were all portrayed by actual Native American or First Nation actors, though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    I remember seeing Brandy show up at the end of I Still Know What You Did Last Summer kinda randomly and thinking she mustve pushed for that.

After her boyfriend played by Mekhi Phifer was killed, you knew one of them was going to live and at the time only one of them had a successful singing career and was used to get black folks to come see

Currently MagSeven

Any others?
    I haven't seen it, but Hell on Wheels I think.

BANNED

Any others?
    the tv series Blackstone. you can watch it online at aptn http://aptn.ca/fullepisodes/blackstone/season1/

one of it's stars, justin rain, is also in defiance, along with veteran actor first nation stalwart, graham greene (he's also in longmire)

another canuck series, arctic air, would be one to check out as there are many and adam beach is one of the leads (i don't think aptn has the series online)

there's a new series called mohawk girls, also on aptn and online http://aptn.ca/fullepisodes/mohawkgirls/

there's also red road on the sundance channel, it's a mix since the story revolves around either an analog of ramapough mountain indians (once called jackson whites, considered pejorative) or it is about them. it has some native american/first nations rep, but not leads, at least not in the first season i saw. it does have minority leads though, jason momoa is one of them, tamara tunie (law and order medical examiner) plays his mother. i think, but can't remember if gary farmer, another vet first natiuon actor from canada, plays her father, and she takes in, adopts kiowa gordon (native american), who does play a major role*

most tv shows with good native american/first nation representation come from canada, via aptn (i haven't been able to watch blackstone or mohawk girls because they use brightcove and for whatever reason, i can't get any vid working if it uses it)
    Last edited by 7thangel; 12-21-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    A black character dying in a show where everyone dies isn't a good example; because it's so obviously not about race (unless it's always the black character who dies first, then it is relevant). There are so, SO many shows where black characters die while most others live; why pick examples from shows where everyone dies??? (and why include Charlotte's Webb???) It's just not a good way to frame your arguement; because it dilutes the very obvious and important issue with poor examples. Considering the plethora of good examples, it's seems silly to use such bad ones out of tons of good ones available.

The real gripe with black deaths is most of those guys in the movies and shows either have little to no development or get the ax first.

And WORST you got fans cheering and celebrating when the black person dies and you get silly comments of "now I can enjoy the show" Never mind that black character might have had the fewest scenes or story lines.

We saw that crap with TNT's Invasion or whatever that alien show was called-folks were cheering that the black teen (who looks like Static) got killed.

We saw it with Mettle in Avengers Arena.

We really show it when Namor took out BP's homeland folks were begging for Marvel to do it again using a variety or racial slurs.

If John Stewart was killed off like DC planned-you thought you saw the worst in comic fans over that Teen Titans Wonder Girl cover.

Look at the CW's 100s-the black guy got axed off in the 4th episode never mind his character in the book had a HUGE role and was the reason for the arc going to Earth in the first place. And we find out he got axed because the bad boy white boy was popular among the crew. I saw more folks go off about that then talked about the show-a lot of folks boycott that show about how black males have been treated on that show. Killed off, peed on by white male and show as horny dogs in heat (and that was in the second episode).

Some deaths you can accept like those in The Wire or Battlestar or Game of Thrones.

It has just gotten to be a joke if there is a black person on certain movies/shows we know they are dead. I know a lot of folks that won't bother with those programs. And some studios won't cast us in those films or the black guy is around till the near end of the film as everybody is getting tired of it.

And there are movies where we survive or play the hero. Sadly those films end up direct to DVD.

Ultimate Member

Any others?
    NA fall into the same boat that Latinos tend to get trapped into. You know like Kyle & Kendra Saunders in DC-the throwaway line of being part (blank). As if that is some excuse. Same with LGBT.

Take Dallas (the series)

If that series took place in North Dallas-this is your population-White, Latino, LGBT & Asian. There is a part of North Dallas that has a large LGBT population and they are trying to get that is the arts district of Oak Cliff (black community).
    Richardson, Texas-White, Asian & Latino
    Grand Prairie-White, Latino, African, Asian & Black

The same gripe with shows like Girls & Friends. How can you be in New York and not have POC as friends? You can't help but to interact.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Due South had quite a few; Benton lived/trained with them for a while, I think?

A black character dying in a show where everyone dies isn't a good example; because it's so obviously not about race (unless it's always the black character who dies first, then it is relevant). There are so, SO many shows where black characters die while most others live; why pick examples from shows where everyone dies??? (and why include Charlotte's Webb???) It's just not a good way to frame your arguement; because it dilutes the very obvious and important issue with poor examples. That's like saying if the planet is destroyed someone can site that as an example where black characters die Considering the plethora of good examples, it's seems silly to use such bad ones out of tons of good ones available.
    Do you not get that a majority of time black characters are killed off and never return. While white characters may die but are guaranteed to be replaced by another white character. I hate when people negate this by saying but they replaced the black character with a Latino woman or a gay character. That doesn't lessen the fact the black character is gone.

Now if the character were gay and killed off and replaced with a straight Eskimo character..and people told gays to get over it..the show is still diverse..most gays would have a problem with that. ( And justifiably so)

But blacks should just take it. makes no sense to me.

BANNED

Tripp's marginilization and eventual death in AoS was just pointless and served no purpose other than to pave the way for the introduction of Blair Underwood's character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Tripp's marginilization and eventual death in AoS was just pointless and served no purpose other than to pave the way for the introduction of Blair Underwood's character.
    Kill off Patton Oswalt's character....replace him with Neil Patrick Harris as Everette Ross ( loosely tie him to Wakanda Embassy--as a national Security Adviser deputy, SHIELD bean counter) And show that he is in fact gay.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 12-21-2014 at 04:21 PM.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    What's your problem, MajestiK? With Blair Underwood running around, there would have been four black characters taking up real estate. They probably would have formed a gang or something, and smuggled powdered aspirin onto the Bus. It just wouldn't have worked out man. And let me preface this by saying that some of my favorite characters are black. Like Russell Franklin in Deep blue Sea, Maureen and Phil from Scream 2, Williams in Enter the Dragon, and Mac and Dillon from Predator. So I don't care who you are in the real world, you give away our position one more time and now you've seen how bad things can get and how quick they can get that way, well they can get a whole lot worse and we are NOT GOING TO FIGHT ANY MORE, we're going to PULL TOGETHER, and we're going to FIND A WAY TO GET OUT OF HERE, but first we're going to seal this--
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."