Page 55 of 2337 FirstFirst ... 545515253545556575859651051555551055 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    I don't know how to respond to this
    Attachment 2413
    What is this from?

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MagSeven View Post
    Damn. This might have confirmed some fears I had about him on Hannibal unless he's got time for more than one show.
    Hannibal's only 13 episodes a year, so this shouldn't too intrusive on that schedule. Also, the only characters that tend to appear in every episode are Will Graham and Hannibal, so there's ways around it. One of my problems with the show-- which is downright excellent and probably the best shot show on tv-- is that Fishburne is somewhat underused. He makes a huge impression when he appears, though.

If next year is going to be a manhunt for Hannibal as rumored, Fishburne would almost certainly have to appear more overseeing the investigation.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    Although since Professor X was induced I wonder how the person making the graphics would have ranked Emma Frost.
    Didn't Prof X get his hands on a bunch of weird and vastly powerful alien technology that could easily be worth trillions to the right buyer?
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Dat may b d fault of d dude who wrote Mr. T solo series....DC editorial has decided 2 go with & SERIOUSLY push d racial 'blk pwr' thingy.

Having read that series and knowing that it was written by a black male who is against the stereotype that Terrific has become there is no way that's on him

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    What is this from?
    Latest issue of Future's End

Quote Originally Posted by SilverZeal View Post
    Dat may b d fault of d dude who wrote Mr. T solo series....DC editorial has decided 2 go with & SERIOUSLY push d racial 'blk pwr' thingy.
    I don't see how it'd be the previous writers fault considering that Mr. Terrific is appearing in Earth 2. The guy in futures end seems to be an almost completely different person.

Yeah, this version of Mr. Terrific is unlike any version in the past. Definitely not Wallace's. If DC editorial, or who I suspect to be Azzarello in this case (because his previous work occasionally has a tin ear for minorities from urban backgrounds), decided to take this direction for the character, it's totally on them.

And once again, this is another moment of, "why wasn't there anyone in the room thinking, 'hey, maybe this doesn't work/is kinda racist'"?
    Last edited by Double 0; 05-22-2014 at 11:31 AM.

BANNED

i'm not that familiar with mr. terrific, but i would assume if he did have a tattoo, it would be some science-y shit, not that big, and not on the back. what is this version like?

Extraordinary Member

Latest issue of Future's End
    Oh OK thanks.

Having read that series and knowing that it was written by a black male who is against the stereotype that Terrific has become there is no way that's on him
    Very much this. Let's call a spade a spade here, nothing about Eric Wallace's story will be remembered in a fond light, and the character was done a favor when the book was canceled.

That being said, Eric Wallace hasn't written a book for DC in over 2 years. Unless you want to blame him for putting him on Earth 2 so something like this could happen (Which quite frankly, would be short-shortsightedly dumb.), then there's no way to hold him accountable, not even a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Kinda wish they would touch on it more though

And how much Nazi gold IS there magneto?
    Geoff Johns touched on it in his Avengers run.

T'challa told Stark "In many ways I'm richer than you"

BANNED

i haven't read it all yet but folks need to read Ta-Nehisi Coates The Case for Reparations. there's so much info that some may already know and some only know partly. it brings truth to why there is a wealth gap and how it society and gov't made made it that way, and still does.

just a note on what, since reparations invokes all kinds of reactions
    [...]

Broach the topic of reparations today and a barrage of questions inevitably follows: Who will be paid? How much will they be paid? Who will pay? But if the practicalities, not the justice, of reparations are the true sticking point, there has for some time been the beginnings of a solution. For the past 25 years, Congressman John Conyers Jr., who represents the Detroit area, has marked every session of Congress by introducing a bill calling for a congressional study of slavery and its lingering effects as well as recommendations for “appropriate remedies.”

A country curious about how reparations might actually work has an easy solution in Conyers’s bill, now called HR 40, the Commission to Study Reparation Proposals for African Americans Act. We would support this bill, submit the question to study, and then assess the possible solutions. But we are not interested.

“It’s because it’s black folks making the claim,” Nkechi Taifa, who helped found N’COBRA, says. “People who talk about reparations are considered left lunatics. But all we are talking about is studying [reparations]. As John Conyers has said, we study everything. We study the water, the air. We can’t even study the issue? This bill does not authorize one red cent to anyone.”

That HR 40 has never—under either Democrats or Republicans—made it to the House floor suggests our concerns are rooted not in the impracticality of reparations but in something more existential. If we conclude that the conditions in North Lawndale and black America are not inexplicable but are instead precisely what you’d expect of a community that for centuries has lived in America’s crosshairs, then what are we to make of the world’s oldest democracy?

One cannot escape the question by hand-waving at the past, disavowing the acts of one’s ancestors, nor by citing a recent date of ancestral immigration. The last slaveholder has been dead for a very long time. The last soldier to endure Valley Forge has been dead much longer. To proudly claim the veteran and disown the slaveholder is patriotism à la carte. A nation outlives its generations. We were not there when Washington crossed the Delaware, but Emanuel Gottlieb Leutze’s rendering has meaning to us. We were not there when Woodrow Wilson took us into World War I, but we are still paying out the pensions. If Thomas Jefferson’s genius matters, then so does his taking of Sally Hemings’s body. If George Washington crossing the Delaware matters, so must his ruthless pursuit of the runagate Oney Judge.

[...]
    another snippet

The work of mobs was a rabid and violent rendition of prejudices that extended even into the upper reaches of American government. The New Deal is today remembered as a model for what progressive government should do—cast a broad social safety net that protects the poor and the afflicted while building the middle class. When progressives wish to express their disappointment with Barack Obama, they point to the accomplishments of Franklin Roosevelt. But these progressives rarely note that Roosevelt’s New Deal, much like the democracy that produced it, rested on the foundation of Jim Crow.

“The Jim Crow South,” writes Ira Katznelson, a history and political-science professor at Columbia, “was the one collaborator America’s democracy could not do without.” The marks of that collaboration are all over the New Deal. The omnibus programs passed under the Social Security Act in 1935 were crafted in such a way as to protect the southern way of life. Old-age insurance (Social Security proper) and unemployment insurance excluded farmworkers and domestics—jobs heavily occupied by blacks. When President Roosevelt signed Social Security into law in 1935, 65 percent of African Americans nationally and between 70 and 80 percent in the South were ineligible. The NAACP protested, calling the new American safety net “a sieve with holes just big enough for the majority of Negroes to fall through.”

The oft-celebrated G.I. Bill similarly failed black Americans, by mirroring the broader country’s insistence on a racist housing policy. Though ostensibly color-blind, Title III of the bill, which aimed to give veterans access to low-interest home loans, left black veterans to tangle with white officials at their local Veterans Administration as well as with the same banks that had, for years, refused to grant mortgages to blacks. The historian Kathleen J. Frydl observes in her 2009 book, The GI Bill, that so many blacks were disqualified from receiving Title III benefits “that it is more accurate simply to say that blacks could not use this particular title.”
    Today Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the country, a fact that reflects assiduous planning. In the effort to uphold white supremacy at every level down to the neighborhood, Chicago—a city founded by the black fur trader Jean Baptiste Point du Sable—has long been a pioneer. The efforts began in earnest in 1917, when the Chicago Real Estate Board, horrified by the influx of southern blacks, lobbied to zone the entire city by race. But after the Supreme Court ruled against explicit racial zoning that year, the city was forced to pursue its agenda by more-discreet means.

Like the Home Owners’ Loan Corporation, the Federal Housing Administration initially insisted on restrictive covenants, which helped bar blacks and other ethnic undesirables from receiving federally backed home loans. By the 1940s, Chicago led the nation in the use of these restrictive covenants, and about half of all residential neighborhoods in the city were effectively off-limits to blacks.

It is common today to become misty-eyed about the old black ghetto, where doctors and lawyers lived next door to meatpackers and steelworkers, who themselves lived next door to prostitutes and the unemployed. This segregationist nostalgia ignores the actual conditions endured by the people living there—vermin and arson, for instance—and ignores the fact that the old ghetto was premised on denying black people privileges enjoyed by white Americans.

In 1948, when the Supreme Court ruled that restrictive covenants, while permissible, were not enforceable by judicial action, Chicago had other weapons at the ready. The Illinois state legislature had already given Chicago’s city council the right to approve—and thus to veto—any public housing in the city’s wards. This came in handy in 1949, when a new federal housing act sent millions of tax dollars into Chicago and other cities around the country. Beginning in 1950, site selection for public housing proceeded entirely on the grounds of segregation. By the 1960s, the city had created with its vast housing projects what the historian Arnold R. Hirsch calls a “second ghetto,” one larger than the old Black Belt but just as impermeable. More than 98 percent of all the family public-housing units built in Chicago between 1950 and the mid‑1960s were built in all-black neighborhoods.
    he's not the first, but the format may help to educate folks, especially those that don't know the full details of how programs worked and work against them. if you're like me, with a bunch of resource bookmarked links, this could find a place in that list
    Last edited by 7thangel; 05-22-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post

Red zone right? I think I remember that, but I wish it was in a more grandiose way

Talking like Stark buys a jet, Tchalla buys a fleet

Just cause

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    i haven't read it all yet but folks need to read Ta-Nehisi Coates The Case for Reparations. there's so much info that some may already know and some only know partly. it brings truth to why there is a wealth gap and how it society and gov't made made it that way, and still does.

just a note on what, since reparations invokes all kinds of reactions

another snippet

he's not the first, but the format may help to educate folks, especially those that don't know the full details of how programs worked and work against them. if you're like me, with a bunch of resource bookmarked links, this could find a place in that list
    I was just coming in here to bring this up...i'm still reading it in bits and pieces myselfs but plan on reading the full thing when i get home.

I considered even making a thread specifically to discuss it......but then I came to my senses lol

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post

I keep forgetting that Johns used to write for marvel. I'm too used to him being the face of DC.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 05-22-2014 at 06:10 PM.