Page 57 of 2337 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061671071575571057 ... LastLast

Anyone catch that debate with Stephen A. Smith and Michael Eric Dyson on First Take? Of course, it was about SAS taking Mavs owner Mark Cuban's side on his comments about Sterlinng. Comments that immediately brought up Trayvon Martin.

Serious man, Respectability Politics is an addicting drug. Catches on like a virus, turning regular black folks into condescending jerks who think they can talk for (really down to) all black people.

BANNED

i've only seen the clip you posted in the nba thread, but like many, i'm looking for the whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Anyone catch that debate with Stephen A. Smith and Michael Eric Dyson on First Take? Of course, it was about SAS taking Mavs owner Mark Cuban's side on his comments about Sterlinng. Comments that immediately brought up Trayvon Martin.

Serious man, Respectability Politics is an addicting drug. Catches on like a virus, turning regular black folks into condescending jerks who think they can talk for (really down to) all black people.

For those who haven't seen it. Here's some parts.

Michael Eric Dyson's side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmLG1OHR8BI

Here's Stephen A. Smith's side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKXKccyb2e8#t=24

BANNED

co-sign x 1 mil. i could barely get through his statement. i kept wondering, what does this have to do with cuban, besides deflecting and absolving him of any responsibility to be better.

on another note, goddamn do i hate these changes at youtube. why the hell do i need to sign in again, when i'm already signed in, just to comment? and why do i have to keep switching to my main account with the name i chose years ago from the one i didn't create or want that has my real name?
    Last edited by 7thangel; 05-23-2014 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    co-sign x 1 mil. i could barely get through his statement. i kept wondering, what does this have to do with cuban, besides deflecting and absolving him of any responsibility to be better.

on another note, goddamn do i hate these changes at youtube. why the hell do i need to sign in again, when i'm already signed in, just to comment? and why do i have to keep switching to my main account with the name i chose years ago from the one i didn't create or want that has my real name?
    Agreed and a half on the youtube thing. I get that it's meant to get at trolls, but it makes logging in really annoying.

As for Stephen A., I get it, being called a sellout or an Uncle Tom fucking hurts. He was trying to act all tough about it, but his overall defensiveness showed that it got under his skin. But that doesn't mean you can't reanalyze your talking points despite what people providing facts that you are wrong.

I get what smith is trying to say, and I get why he was so defensive, no one likes being called a sellout or race traitor, but it was still condesending. I expected him to say something about bootstraps. Same stuff I've read in every comment section about unemployment, bootstraps, STEM, laziness, blanket generalizations "Why can't you make it the same way I did?"
    Last edited by Overhazard; 05-23-2014 at 12:33 PM.

BANNED

it isn't the first time he's been called that because it's not the first time he's put on his captain-save-a-bigot cape and delivered his respectability politricks as a distraction.

it isn't the first time he's been called that because it's not the first time he's put on his captain-save-a-bigot cape and delivered his respectability politricks as a distraction.
    Now it makes sense why Smith and Sean Hannity are buds. It's like when Juan Williams takes up for Bill O' Reilly.
    “Let the King get back on his throne." - Jay Briscoe

The same here & I lost an the respect I had left for Mr.Smith aswell...

The problem with Stephen A Smith is that he runs his mouth on topics he's clearly not qualified to speak about. I once saw him say he's never heard of a person getting fired for being drunk.

Their discussions about Michael Sam have nothing short of disgusting. They continually talk about gay athletes and how they should behave and don't invite gay men to be a part of the discussion.

You know what pisses me off most about respectability politics. It's often someone arguing a point that NOBODY is bringing up. Have you EVER seen anyone try and argue against dressing and behaving professionally when going in for a job interview? All the idiocy surrounding how people dress it usually about what people are wearing in their FREE TIME.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    You know what pisses me off most about respectability politics. It's often someone arguing a point that NOBODY is bringing up. Have you EVER seen anyone try and argue against dressing and behaving professionally when going in for a job interview? All the idiocy surrounding how people dress it usually about what people are wearing in their FREE TIME.
    Yeah, that's true, I like wearing a suit as much as the next guy, and I understand how important image is, but if its 80 degrees outside, I'm not wearing it. Most workplaces accept business casual attire. I like to think that most of the time, no one really cares what you wear.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    this. i do the usual countdown before it somehow deflects to black pathology and/or hip hop

at another site, i mention how people keep adding/editing to cuban's statement, by trying to make his basic black kid in a hoodie more ominous by including 'big', ' hulking', thug, swaggering, super dark alleyway, etc. therefore giving him an out. (hell, they even making the bald white guy with tats more 'scary' by giving him face tats with swastikas, lol). when people cape, they cape hard
    Last edited by 7thangel; 05-23-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    Yeah, that's true, I like wearing a suit as much as the next guy, and I understand how important image is, but if its 80 degrees outside, I'm not wearing it. Most workplaces accept business casual attire. I like to think that most of the time, no one really cares what you wear.
    Except the bootstrap brigade. They're the ones drafting laws to criminalize styles of dress. What's most disgusting about that is they're doing it under the guise of "Helping" black youth as if finding new ways to give them criminal records is somehow "Helpful". The complaints are always about how black folks are dressed while out and about minding their own business and they somehow connect that to "you can't get a job dressed that way" (which also ignores that it hard for black folks to get jobs even when they're dressed and behave professionally btw).

this. i do the usual countdown before it somehow deflects to black pathology and/or hip hop

at another site i mention how people keep adding/editing to cuban's statement by trying to make his basic black kid in a hoodie more ominous by including 'big', ' hulking', thug, swaggering, super dark alleyway, etc. therefore giving him an out, (hell, they even making the bald white guy with tats more 'scary' by giving him face tats with swastikas, lol). when people cape, they cape hard
    They have to do that because all you can take form what Cuban said is that the fear he'd experience is from the black skin, NOT the hoodie. A hoodie is one of the most common form of clothing there is, EVERYBODY has one. So unless Cuban has some odd phobia of hoodies he's really just saying he's afraid of black people he doesn't know.