Page 575 of 2337 FirstFirst ... 7547552556557157257357457557657757857958562567510751575 ... LastLast
Results 8,611 to 8,625 of 35047

Quote Originally Posted by George Caltsoudas View Post
    I'm pretty sure I've read numerous times that Stan Lee himself said that Professor X and Magneto were inspired by Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcom X.
    And I don't think he needs a history lesson on them as he lived through that and invented the mutants as result of the civil rights movement.
    The only thing you posted that was correct was that Stan Lee lived in that era. Sorry, but thanks for playing.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

BANNED

I'm pretty sure I've read numerous times that Stan Lee himself said that Professor X and Magneto were inspired by Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcom X.
    And I don't think he needs a history lesson on them as he lived through that and invented the mutants as result of the civil rights movement.

Stan didn't make that analogy but I can see "his holyness" Claremont doing it

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Stan didn't make that analogy but I can see "his holyness" Claremont doing it
    That's kinda what happened...
    The X-Men franchise is in the same tradition. In draws deliberate parallels between the oppression of mutants and that of other marginalized groups. As long-time X-Men writer Chris Claremont explained back in 1982, "The X-Men are hated, feared, and despised collectively by humanity for no other reason than that they are mutants. So what we have..., intended or not, is a book that is about racism, bigotry, and prejudice." As a result, these important but usually avoided themes have become part of the dialogue - both online and at the kitchen table. Moreover, with several more Avatar and X-Men films currently in production (link is external), these themes are likely to be part of our pop-cultural discourse for the foreseeable future.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...politics-x-men

But even Chris wasn't telling folks that Mags was Malcolm, he was busy making Magnus a violent and hatefilled yet sympathic Holocaust survivor

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    That's kinda what happened...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...politics-x-men

But even Chris wasn't telling folks that Mags was Malcolm, he was busy making Magnus a violent and hatefilled yet sympathic Holocaust survivor
    See, and that worked for me, the Magneto stuff. Works WAY better than Mags as Malcolm.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    See, and that worked for me, the Magneto stuff. Works WAY better than Mags as Malcolm.
    I completely agree

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    Even the movies and I think adaptations did that. I don't think anyone would think Civil Rights and mutants go together.

If they did-wouldn't racism towards minorities stop or mutants would actively try to get minorities to side with them?

ANd just came back from the comic book show-

New owners of autographs for Gail Simone, Peter David, Mike Morales, John Rubinstein and Rick Buckler. Interesting comment Rick made about Black Goliath-(I had him sign Luke Cage 30 and he saw my Black Goliath number 1)-he said Tony Isabella wanted to call the book Goliath. Marvel went back and added black to the title and his name.

And the hot item everyone was looking for? Action Comics 521. The first appearance of the woman who was denied a solo series-Vixen.

Stan invented mutants because it was easier than explaining their powers in an accident, and to make it a storytelling device to explore the awkward changes, alienation, and ostracization, kids experience when entering puberty and going through their teens.

The biggest problem with the analogy is that Magneto's never been an activist, only a terrorist, so there's some unfortunate implications, but people do like anti-heroes, so there's that.

Plus let's be real, if malcolm had magnetism powers, he'd be alive and kicking.
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Plus let's be real, if malcolm had magnetism powers, he'd be alive and kicking.
    And we'd be waaaaayyyyyyy better off as a ppl for it..

BANNED

like others have stated, it's a horrible comparison. last i checked, MLK didn't create child soldiers either

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    like others have stated, it's a horrible comparison. last i checked, MLK didn't create child soldiers either
    When you really think about it. Professor Xavier is a major league creep. He lures kids that feel lonely and insecure to his sprawling mansion, telling them that he loves and understands them in ways their families don't, then makes them into weapons. He's more like a cult leader than anything else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    Playing Devil's advocate here--he did lead children into marches knowing they would get hosed and attacked by dogs. But from what i've heard from people at the time...Martin needed the Youth because adults as a whole were reluctant to march. Youthful naivete and Courage.

I dont think the MLK/Malcom X correlation was/is off base. I think it was accurate.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 01-24-2015 at 10:28 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Playing Devil's advocate here--he did lead children into marches knowing they would get hosed and attacked by dogs. But from what i've heard from people at the time...Martin needed the Youth because adults as a whole were reluctant to march. Youthful naivete and Courage.

I dont think the MLK/Malcom X correlation was/is off base. I think it was accurate.

No it's off base since again grown ass adults still took part even adults of the previous generation

I like you dude but seriously

BANNED

What can I say I grew up on Claremont.

I should clarify that I don't think the X-men were the defacto allegory for MLK/Malcolm or the Civil rights movement--Creators did pull on that thematic thread numerous times.
    I do think that in 1963 Stan lee was influenced by the civil rights movement. He may have made mutants as an easy out to get powers..but to have his heroes persecuted in a racial fervor--is Allegorical.
    That may have been Jack Kirby tho--he was more socially aware than Stan Lee. In the same way the Incredible Hulk was a product of Atomic Fear.

But I don't mind being told I am wrong.

#productofmytime

peace fam.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 01-24-2015 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    When you really think about it. Professor Xavier is a major league creep. He lures kids that feel lonely and insecure to his sprawling mansion, telling them that he loves and understands them in ways their families don't, then makes them into weapons. He's more like a cult leader than anything else.
    Now I want a book where Charles is a crazy cult leader leading a group of indoctrinated X-Men. Yeah I think that would make a decent mini.