Page 6 of 2337 FirstFirst ... 234567891016561065061006 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Why because of Jaime Fox? Nothing that I have heard. Amazing Spider-Man 2's come and gone so I don't think Marvels doing any electro promotion at least from the comics side.

Do they even use Electro in the comics nowadays?
    He's currently appearing in Punisher working for AIM who loaned him out to a drug cartel who've stepped their game up so to speak( I guess until Slott gets things back in order )

If they were to make a new Electro( 616 or Ultimate ) I would hope they would kinda think like a evil version of Static in that he uses his brain and thinks up new ways to use his powers like a evil genius boss, Max Dillion tends to stumble into learning new tricks years apart thanks to writers thinking it up only for the next one to drop it

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Compared to, say, Ultimate Spider-Man, where he didn't put on the costume for a couple issues...
    His own costume yeah, it was in bad taste for him to be running around in Peter's costume( store bought or not ) and it would have been weird if he just suddenly just got a new costume as folks at that point had been complaining that he was getting the keys to the kingdom out the gate
    Last edited by Smoov-E; 05-01-2014 at 10:18 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    He's currently appearing in Punisher working for AIM who loaned him out to a drug cartel who've stepped their game up so to speak( I guess until Slott gets things back in order )

If they were to make a new Electro( 616 or Ultimate ) I would hope they would kinda think like a evil version of Static in that he uses his brain and thinks up new ways to use his powers like a evil genius boss, Max Dillion tends to stumble into learning new tricks years apart thanks to writers thinking it up only for the next one to drop it
    He also is the heavy in the rebooted ASM. spoilers:
    And the end of the first issue, he has power issues, blows up a prison, and his skin is noticeably darker in the last panel. I think just from the soot, but it was enough to make me do a double take.
    end of spoilers

Compared to, say, Ultimate Spider-Man, where he didn't put on the costume for a couple issues...
    Ultimate Spider-Man is absolutely the worst when it comes to pacing (like nearly every Bendis book). Ghost Rider has the same problem it's just not nearly as bad.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    Ultimate Spider-Man is absolutely the worst when it comes to pacing (like nearly every Bendis book). Ghost Rider has the same problem it's just not nearly as bad.
    Either way, it was pretty good. Artwork propelled, but that's just going to happen when Moore is on a book. He draws purty.

Although interestingly, a lot of the "Why a new Ghost Rider" whining died off once the book launched. Haven't seen a lot of the usual "It's only for marketing!" BS. Even the complaints about him driving a car seemed to die out once the book launched.

BANNED

boy, when a bigoted troll lies and tries to act holier than thou, the temptation to hit back is strong.

but he isn't worth it

nnneeways

What’s Truly Outrageous about the Jem Movie
    [...]

Then just last week more information about the film was released, and everything I had originally feared was reaffirmed. For starters, I learned that Christy Marx, the creative female genius behind Jem and the Holograms, was never asked to be part of the film, or to even give it her blessing. She did speak to director Chu about the film, and said nothing but kind words about him, but on her Facebook page she said:

Many people wonder how I feel about it. I don’t think I can hide that I’m deeply unhappy about being shut out of the project. That no one in the entertainment arm of Hasbro wanted to talk to me, have me write for it, or at the very least consult on it. I wouldn’t be human if that failed to bother me.

[...]

I was pretty upset that none of the original three women were involved in the film, but I was still willing to give Chu and his reimagined Jem “for a whole new generation with themes of being true to who you are in a multitasking, hyperlinked social media age” a chance. Then they released the movie poster on the official website:

[...]

One of the biggest reasons why I loved the Holograms was because of their diverse backgrounds and different features, so it disappoints me tremendously that Chu didn’t embrace this. What kind of message about beauty is he sending to those of us who grew up watching Jem, and who now have girls of our own that may watch the film?

In an exchange with Perrineau on twitter, Jamie elaborates on how her casting may not be racebending but still demonstrates the colorism that remains so prevalent in Hollywood.

@AuroraPerrineau We are near the same complexion. So I get it. I'm just not happy to see the disparities in shade of Shana Elmsford.—
    (@BlackGirlNerds) April 26, 2014
    Really, you should just read Jamie’s open letter to Aurora and the cast of the movie on BlackGirlNerds.com.

[...]

Hey guys I know we are all very passionate about issues but we just have remember to take a breath sometimes and remain civil even if others are not mods are going zero tolerance this time around and I've already seen at least two bannings. I like you guys (most of you ) so hoping we all stick around.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post

oh ok thanks for the info.

I wouldn't want them to go too far ripping off Static in principle Electro and Static are actually very different imo.
    The J-man

BANNED

One of the best things I can say about Jem was that it at least tried to be diverse. Oh and the fact they are NOW reproducing the DVD box set. Those OOP (Out of Print) DVD box set prices were truly truly truly outrageous.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 05-01-2014 at 11:32 AM.

Really? First issue in and Ghost Rider was already tearing things up. That's not really trade writing. What he's doing is writing for Tradd Moore. That's a book totally propelled by the artwork.
    I wanna say - the idea of Ghost Rider doesn't interest me, but from the previews, the art looks amazing. Just, wow. It deserves to drive the story. If I had a little more money I'd pick it up just for the art.

BANNED

just a link

We Need Diverse Books Campaign

http://weneeddiversebooks.tumblr.com...books-campaign

Recently, there’s been a groundswell of discontent over the lack of diversity in children’s literature. The issue is being picked up by news outlets like these two pieces in the NYT, CNN, EW, and many more. But while we individually care about diversity, there is still a disconnect. BEA’s Bookcon recently announced an all-white-male panel of “luminaries of children’s literature,” and when we pointed out the lack of diversity, nothing changed.

Now is the time to raise our voices into a roar that can’t be ignored. Here’s how:

On May 1st at 1pm (EST), there will be a public call for action that will spread over 3 days. We’re starting with a visual social media campaign using the hashtag #WeNeedDiverseBooks. We want people to tweet, Tumblr, Instagram, Facebook, blog, and post anywhere they can to help make the hashtag go viral.

[...]
    there's more at the link, including the scheduled events for May 2nd and 3rd

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    One of the best things I can say about Jem was that it at least tried to be diverse. Oh and the fact they are NOW reproducing the DVD box set. Those OOP (Out of Print) DVD box set prices were truly truly truly outrageous.
    The people making the film have completely pissed away all good faith fans had in the production. The only thing i haven't seen fans react negatively to is the casting of Rio.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    just a link

Thanks for this, I had the good fortune to talk to one of the ladies who co-wrote a book about the difficulties of the school system in inner cities( blanking on her and the books name but I will post it as soon as I track down both ) and she had mentioned that she had written a children's book that starred a diverse cast and for the past five years had been getting told no left and right while noticing random books with a all white cast lines the shelves.

We then talked about how it's worse with YA novels or as she called it "The literary CW"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    There's a lo of stuff happening in each issue of Ghost Rider.

I mean in last issue you had another transformation into the Rider, Mr. Hyde eat a dude, a gangbanger try to commit rape and the intended victim of said rape turn into a monster and beat up the rapist. All in one issue.

Its just that its all over all so quickly.

USM was mostly dialogue, the way I remember it.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    There's a lo of stuff happening in each issue of Ghost Rider.

I mean in last issue you had another transformation into the Rider, Mr. Hyde eat a dude, a gangbanger try to commit rape and the intended victim of said rape turn into a monster and beat up the rapist. All in one issue.

Its just that its all over all so quickly.

USM was mostly dialogue, the way I remember it.
    And that's the thing, Smith is more just giving Moore room to breath. And you have to. You get an artist like Tradd Moore on your book, you give him room to do his thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 7thangel View Post
    just a link

I missed the May 1st portion of this, but I will definitely be participating during the 2nd and 3rd portions of this project.

So can I say that I dig that the Hispanic detective in Bedlam is really competent and seemingly able to deal with the weird isht going on in that series? She's almost like a much less tragic/downtrodden Debra Morgan without the weird feelings for the crazy guy