Page 8 of 2337 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218581085081008 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Meh finite amount of cash.

Extraordinary Member

You'll really like Rat Queens and Princeless. Priceless is all ages so you can can safely give it to a kid.

I've heard good things about Aya, but I've never read it myself.

Not your dad, I swear Ghostwise's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    I think I'll pick up that Rat Queens Trade amongst other things on Free comic book day.
    Rat Queens is fun. Trashy, but fun. :-) I'll see if I can write about it when there's enough material.
    Writeups.org -- huge encyclopaedia of characters, chiefly from super-hero comic books. It's great.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Rat Queens from image

Chew from image

Shadowman and Bloodshot from Valiant as well

The all new ghost rider and all new ultimate? Ult spider man as well
    I'm only reading three of these (four when the new Miles Morales Ultimate Spider-man comes out).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Help! I'm at the comic shop! I need minority recommendations quick! Preferably (but not limited to) indies.
    I would add Iron Patriot and Watson and Holmes to that list.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

^^Been passing these out the last few days. Hit up many of the local barbershops. Gonna hit up the movie theatres tonight.

Guess I'll see tomorrow if anyone took the bait, heh heh.
    HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper Cole View Post
    It's needs to be said again, If you haven't been reading Watson & Holmes you need to reevaluate your life.
    Oh, yeah. I wasn't sure about yet another Sherlock Holmes adaptation, but this is the best of them, including both tv shows. Highly recommended. Gets better by the issue, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoov-E View Post
    Rico does the colors for Loose Ends and yeah he's great at having the colors be part of the story
    Just want to point out that if anyone is interested in FBP, the first tpb has been out for a few months, and it collects the first seven issues for $9.99US. It's really a great deal.

Help! I'm at the comic shop! I need minority recommendations quick! Preferably (but not limited to) indies.
    I can only help with Marvel: X-men, Mighty Avengers, Uncanny X-men and Superior Foes of Spiderman are the most diverse team comics (in terms of minority representation). Loki: Agent of Asgard, Ghost Rider, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, Black Widow, Captain Marvel and Elektra are all minority solo series.

N.B. my five favourites are in bold.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 05-02-2014 at 10:15 AM.

The swag.

Whaaat I haven't seen Aya before, it looks gorgeous!

In addition to all of the fabulous recommendations made by others, for the future I'd also throw out Revival as an option. Less fun/silly but kind of a serious take happening on how identity conflicts play out in the rural midwest. Doing some interesting things in that book...

I almost picked up East of West. and it's cheap!! But I had to make cuts.

I read Mighty Avengers in singles (though my #2 is freakin' missing!!)
    East of West is the best book Hickman is working on. Without having to worry about preserving IPs for the next Movie or other Crossmedia property, he's allowed to really cut loose and weave a story where it feels like something is happening and isn't going to be reset when it's time.

Get the Trades when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxygnome View Post
    Whaaat I haven't seen Aya before, it looks gorgeous!...
    Aya is fantastic. It's pretty much the African Love and Rockets. Beautiful art, too.

Speaking of L&R, Jaime's The Love Bunglers came out in HC this week. Possibly the best work of his career, and considering the overall excellence of that career, that's really saying something. I definitely recommend taking a look at it, even if L&R isn't usually your taste.
    Last edited by FanboyStranger; 05-02-2014 at 10:09 AM.

BANNED

"Short Shorts Are Not for Everybody": An Interview With Brittney Griner
    Even if you don't follow women's basketball, you probably know of Brittney Griner and her nasty dunks. Last year, the 6-foot-8 Phoenix Mercury center made the WNBA All-Star Game as a rookie, and tied the league's all-time dunk record with two slams in her very first game. But she's more than one of the WNBA's hottest stars. She's also one of the most famous gay athletes in all of sports; last year, she became Nike's first out endorsee, and she's helped create an anti-bullying mobile app that's currently raising money on IndieGogo. So why, at 23, did Griner feel the urge to write a memoir? (In My Skin, cowritten with Sue Hovey, was released in April.) It's simple, she says: "I didn't want to wait till the end of my career to tell my story."

Mother Jones: You write that you were bullied as a kid, and that you felt like "a physical misfit, my body flat and thin, my voice low." When did you start to feel comfortable in your skin?

Brittney Griner: I would say ninth grade, when I started wearing the clothes that I wanted to wear. I was so tired of living a lie, dressing a certain way. When you go to high school, you definitely feel like you're an adult, and I wanted to be true to myself. By the time I got to college I was completely out, and all my friends knew—just about everyone in my family knew. That's when I told myself, "Okay, I wanna do all this."

MJ: You're known for your style—lots of tattoos, but also the argyle socks, bow ties, preppy chic. How has that style evolved?

BG: When I first came out, I kinda overdid it. I dressed extremely older-boyish, like sagging, and big shirt and big jeans. I was just like, "I'm gonna go extreme." And then as I got older, the baggy clothes got a little more fitting to my body, but still masculine. Before, I wouldn't wear tight jeans—"That's girl! I want guy!" I thought. But now I wear jeans that actually fit me and look good. A lot of people do the preppy look, and the bow ties and the vest and jacket, the blazer and everything, and I started to like it even more.

MJ: When the WNBA proposed tigther-cut uniforms, how did you react?
    "I want you to come watch my game, not the uniforms. If you wanna come just because we look sexy, then I really don't want you there."

BG: I was just running in slow motion, saying, "Nooooooo!" I play basketball. I need a jersey and I need some shorts that I feel comfortable in. I'm trying to hoop, not go to a fashion show on the court. Short shorts are not for everybody. I'm not trying to wear capris, but I got a lot of leg. I need to cover it up a little bit. They want more male attendance, and for us to change our uniforms to "sleek and sexy" takes away from what we're trying to do on the court. I want you to come watch my game, not the uniforms. If you wanna come just because we look sexy, then I really don't want you there. I feel like we need to get away from that.

MJ: Your Nike contract allows you to model clothes branded for men. A Nike spokesman told ESPN the Magazine, "It's safe to say we jumped at the opportunity to work with her because she breaks the mold."

BG: I want to print that quote and put it on the wall! For a company like Nike to say that I'm breaking the mold! I was extremely happy. I'm not the only female that wears men's clothes, so I'm not one in a million. But someone told me I was kinda pioneering it—for it to be okay, to be accepted.

MJ: You write at length about your struggles at Baylor, both with coach Kim Mulkey and with the school's anti-homosexuality policy. What was it like to hear from folks in Waco that this was some sort of betrayal?

BG: It's not right. Like the rule that Baylor has in the handbook, that if you're openly gay you can be kicked out—it's unjust, and I think it should be changed. I never had a problem with my team. My teammates accepted me. We were on the court, we played, we hooped, we fought for each other, and I had a great time as far as basketball. Nobody ever came up to me and was like, "Get off our campus." I never got that. And people knew on campus. I wasn't hiding. From the way I dressed to the way I acted in public, it wasn't a problem, so I don't understand why the rule is still there.

[...]

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post

^^Been passing these out the last few days. Hit up many of the local barbershops. Gonna hit up the movie theatres tonight.

Guess I'll see tomorrow if anyone took the bait, heh heh.
    Congrats man! I hope everything works out for you.

BANNED

Thanks for posting this link Brotha FLEX.

The interview provided a lot of food for thought.

Some of the stated observations got me thinking about how much more interesting it would have been if Marvel had commisioned Afua Richardson....

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/...ncoming-storm/

to pen a Storm monthly ongoing instead of Greg Pak.

Pak's Planet Hulk was phenomenal so it's not as if I'm impugning his writing credentials.

It just would have been fun to see Marvel taking the same chance with Afua that they've done with G.Willow Wilson on Ms Marvel