Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Aspects of the Superman mythos from over the years that don't make sense to you.

A character that has been running for 75+ years at the hands of god knows how many writers each one adding their own touch to the Superman stories there's bound to be something that isn't going to mesh with the reader. Post things that never really made sense to you personally.

-If Superman is human at his core why does he need things to help him stay connected to being human? Wouldn't being human be compulsory if you're human at your core?

-On the matter of Superman being human. The line "Superman being more human than other humans" sounds like something a Nazi might say.

If Batman is Superman's bestfriend these days what is Jimmy Olsen suppose to be and why would you choose a character from a different series to be his best friend? Do they just prefer using characters that have been developed for them rather than having to do it with Jimmy

-While it was a funny gag at one point Lois being a famous reporter who's bad at spelling doesn't make any sense anymore. She's a famous reporter and spell check is installed in pretty much everything these days. Just doesn't work anymore.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Regarding Jimmy Olsen, I always felt like the guy should know Clark's secret. He can't really be his best friend like Alfred or Dick are for Bruce in a large part due to that

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    While it was a funny gag at one point Lois being a famous reporter who's bad at spelling doesn't make any sense anymore. She's a famous reporter and spell check is installed in pretty much everything these days. Just doesn't work anymore.
    Yew can still miss-bell things.

Just reed anything buy Brian Bendis - He never gets threw a hole issue without a typo.

For me the whole concept of flying in circles faster than the speed of light to travel in time.

I can accept going backwards when you're faster than the speed of light - that fits current (last I knew) scientific theories, but Superman could go backwards or forwards depending on whether he circled clockwise or anti-clockwise. That makes no sense because whether you see him as clockwise or anti-clockwise depends purely on what direction you're looking at him from.

Kryptonians on Krypton looking exactly like white people.

They should look more visibly alien.

Retired

I never heard the thing about going clockwise or anti-clockwise. In the '60s when he broke through the time barrier, it seemed like he entered a long tunnel in rainbow colours with dates painted on it that went up and down through time.

Maybe the clockwise thing is from SUPERMAN THE MOVIE, but I don't remember that.

In SUPERMAN THE MOVIE, baby Kal-El is educated in higher theories of science and mathematics, the planet Krypton, and so forth by the voice of Jor-El as his rocket ship travels through the cosmos to arrive on Earth. Yet as a teen, he doesn't seem to know any of that. Did he forget?

Astonishing Member

Another one for me.

-Why don't the Kryptonian's ever believe Jor-El, usually he is regarded as one of Krypton's top scientist? Why don't they ever heed his warnings?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I never heard the thing about going clockwise or anti-clockwise. In the '60s when he broke through the time barrier, it seemed like he entered a long tunnel in rainbow colours with dates painted on it that went up and down through time.
    This is my all-time favorite depiction of the timestream and I wish to god it were used more often. Something beautifully campy and comic-booky about a rainbow tunnel of light with floating dates in it representing the timestream.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Kryptonians on Krypton looking exactly like white people.

They should look more visibly alien.
    What? More Mexican?

Another one for me.

-Why don't the Kryptonian's ever believe Jor-El, usually he is regarded as one of Krypton's top scientist? Why don't they ever heed his warnings?
    If anything that's one of the most believable and appropriate aspects of Superman's mythos.

For comparison:

Most scientist on our own planet agree that climate change is a real concern brought on by humans, however a very, very small number of scientists throw out some counter research and 50% of the nation refuses to acknowledge what is widely considered fact in the scientific community.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

-While it was a funny gag at one point Lois being a famous reporter who's bad at spelling doesn't make any sense anymore. She's a famous reporter and spell check is installed in pretty much everything these days. Just doesn't work anymore.
    The existence of spell check is irrelevant because even when it didn't exist there were still editors who were responsible for monitoring and fixing spelling errors. Lois' reputation as a bad speller makes perfect sense because it makes sense that she could have difficulty spelling. Also, there are some misspellings spell check wouldn't catch. On Smallville, for example, Lois used the phrase "wild whether" when she meant "wild weather." Spell check would not have caught the mistake because it's not a misspelled word.

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

-If Superman is human at his core why does he need things to help him stay connected to being human? Wouldn't being human be compulsory if you're human at your core?
    This is the only thing about Superman that doesn't make sense to me either. He was raised as one of us, so his abilities shouldn't make him feel less human. If anything, he should feel like others are less so.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    This is the only thing about Superman that doesn't make sense to me either. He was raised as one of us, so his abilities shouldn't make him feel less human. If anything, he should feel like others are less so.
    His abilities by their very nature detach him from the human experience. He *normally* lacks human frailty, susceptibility to disease, and based on what we've seen of future stories has an indefinite life expectancy. I think him worrying about drifting away from his humanity makes a lot of sense.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 11-18-2014 at 12:37 PM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Has complaining about the flimsiness of the Clark Kent disguise become so passé that it doesn't deserve a mention? I thought for sure it would've been mentioned before post 14.

I thought it'd be funny if the Kents ended up having to pose as anti-vaxers, so as to explain why Clark Kent has no valid documentation of having gotten his shots.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Has complaining about the flimsiness of the Clark Kent disguise become so passé that it doesn't deserve a mention? I thought for sure it would've been mentioned before post 14.

I thought it'd be funny if the Kents ended up having to pose as anti-vaxers, so as to explain why Clark Kent has no valid documentation of having gotten his shots.
    That's actually a really good idea.

I wouldn't mind a story, maybe some golden age throwback, where he loses his powers and becomes a huge germaphobe because he's never had to develop proper immunity.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 11-18-2014 at 01:05 PM.
    Pull List: