Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Default How is everyone enjoying World's End so far?

Because I'm not. Really disappointed by it, in fact. After Futures End turned out so much better than I expected, I had moderately high hopes for World's End, but it's just been a chore to read. I've been reading Earth 2 since it launched, too, and yet I still find World's End unnecessarily difficult to follow. It's just one big, jumbled mess of a comic book series, in my opinion.

Granted, the creators on it probably aren't as good as the ones on Futures End, but it's still so much worse than I ever expected it to be. Bad dialogue, poor characterization, and way too much jumping between the separate plot threads for my taste. It doesn't help that the storyline is running concurrently in Earth 2 now, thereby dragging the quality of that book down with it.

I don't know. Feels like milking it to me by DC, quite frankly. They knew they had a good thing going with Futures End and tried to replicate it, but I don't think they have the stable of talent to pull it off, unfortunately. If the story doesn't improve drastically by the end of this month, I think I'm probably done, and I may very well drop Earth 2 along with it.

Anyway, I'm not trying to rant. I'm just curious to see how others feel about it. Maybe I'm missing something and need to go back and reread it, or perhaps I'm simply not giving it enough time to develop properly. After getting burned by Countdown with the mindset of, "It'll get better next week," for an entire year, though, I think I really need a weekly series to jump out and grab me right away. Like Futures End has, for instance.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

I'm currently putting Future's End and World's End on the same level of quality, which is relatively low. I'm not overly enjoying Future's End, but for different reasons to World's End. I do agree that it's a shame it's dragging the main Earth 2 title down with it though. Through Robinson and Taylor, Earth 2 was phenomenal, now it's just struggling to keep my attention.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I love World's End so far. It's a lot better than I thought it was going to be. It sure beats Future's End by a mile IMO.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

The launch of Worlds End and Taylor leaving was pretty much where I left Earth 2 behind. I didn't particularly like where Taylor was going with his story and Worlds End just seemed like DC announcing that Earth-2 was eventually going to be destroyed... which I think is a colossal waste of the potential in Robinsons Earth-2.

I'd have preferred that they keep any Earth-1 originated characters out of it, let it be it's own unique world. The Four Horsemen are boring. We didn't need a Tamaranean or Czarnian, we needed convincing threats. The Lobo cameo was lame. Barbara Gordon never existed on Earth 2, if I recall correctly. And didn't Bob Crane appear as human in the early issues? Now he's a robot? What happened to him and when?

I loved Earth 2 when it debuted. I even enjoyed Taylor's run, despite the Kryptonian story dragging a little long. But WE has left me cold. I might give it one more issue but that's it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Odd Man View Post
    I'd have preferred that they keep any Earth-1 originated characters out of it, let it be it's own unique world. The Four Horsemen are boring. We didn't need a Tamaranean or Czarnian, we needed convincing threats. The Lobo cameo was lame. Barbara Gordon never existed on Earth 2, if I recall correctly. And didn't Bob Crane appear as human in the early issues? Now he's a robot? What happened to him and when?

I loved Earth 2 when it debuted. I even enjoyed Taylor's run, despite the Kryptonian story dragging a little long. But WE has left me cold. I might give it one more issue but that's it.
    Didn't both the E2 Babs and Dick appear in the Future's End month amongst the refugees?

I thought the first 4 issues were a huge, sloppy mess, but 5 was really good. I haven't caught up with 6 yet to see if it's a trend or just a one-off though.

Extraordinary Member

It has been a struggle to get into the story but that is because I have not read Earth-2 since issue #2. Rereading each issue has helped and the last two issues have seemed much better. With the pacing of the story it makes me really wish for the return of caption boxes or thought bubbles although I still like the amount of story being juggled even if I am probably missing the importance of some it.

I was hoping for a little more focus on the 'original' guys of the series.... Alan, Jay, Kendra, and Al in either this or the regular Earth 2 book. It seems poor Jay only appears lately to get taken down hard in a panel and then they move onto Bat/Super family related stuff for the real story line progression I know this is an old complaint, but with TWO books on the setting, you'd think they could spread out the love a bit more.

That said, World's End otherwise varies from 'okay' to 'pretty good' if you don't care (or better yet LIKE) which characters they are focusing on.
    Last edited by Den; 11-18-2014 at 10:26 AM.
    "A gentleman will not insult me, and no man not a gentleman can insult me."-Frederick Douglass

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Earth 2: World's End has been pretty good. It is a popcorn kind of event book. Sit back and enjoy watching the Wonders of Earth 2 struggle valiantly against the hordes of Apokalips.

Any criticism you fling at Earth 2 could easily be applied to Future's End. It is slow, it is spending too much time setting things up, there isn't enough time with character X, too much time is being spent with character Y, etc.

Earth 2 may survive the war, we do not know. Future's End is a maybe-possible future that will most assuredly be averted by time travel interventions/shenanigans.

I'm enjoying it just fine.

One of the things i loved the most about E2 was the fact that there was no Superman nor Batman, but now we've got (in too many pages) very dislikable versions of those characters. If Cranky Old Bats and Cardboard Superman left, i'd be very happy.

Although, i think the story is decent.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

BANNED

I've been enjoying it pretty well. It's much more of a Summer action popcorn movie, like something Roland Emmerich would make. It's a nice complement to the other two weeklies.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    One of the things i loved the most about E2 was the fact that there was no Superman nor Batman, but now we've got (in too many pages) very dislikable versions of those characters. If Cranky Old Bats and Cardboard Superman left, i'd be very happy.

Although, i think the story is decent.
    We've had Batman in Earth 2 since May of 2013. Not just that but he was introduced in Robinson's era. He was always meant to be a part of the comic. We've had a Superman (evil though he may have been) in the comic since Tom Taylor took over back in Nov of 2013.

Stories evolve with time.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

I dig it well enough. I suppose it could be better but It's certainly not bad. I think, it's
    greatest “flaw” if you can call it that is that it's big. The Gods of Apocalypse are
    attacking all of Earth 2 which has a pretty full cast by this point. There doesn't seem to
    be any twists or mystery to the story, which is fine I suppose, but there's also nothing
    in the dialogue or anywhere else that makes it stand out. The story is solid enough so
    far but it's failings, if anything are that while it's big on scope it's short on big ideas
    and at its worst so far the story comes off as basically just one big fight. So far, I think
    it's good enough but not a great story.