View Poll Results: Your opinion on Schism?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hate Schism and would like to see it end as soon as possible

60 75.00%
  • I don't hate Schism and wouldn't mind to see it continue

20 25.00%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Is Schism one the worst ideas ever that effected the franchise?

OK now here is a fun question with a poll attached.
    Now there certainly have been a lot of events that had negative impact on the X-Men. House of M certainly comes to mind.
    But from at least from my view there is one which really stands out in terms of being disliked and having a really negative impact on the franchise and that is Schism. Since it lead to a split in the X-Men and from the look of the things even a split in the fanbase(constant bashing of fellow mutants and X-Men like Cyclops/Wolverine/Storm/Beast is yawn inducing at this point).

So is Schism one of the worst events and ideas to ever effect the franchise?
    "This is me being reasonable"

Schism was solid. It made more sense to be Cyclops vs. Storm; but I enjoy the split; I like having two MOs, two schools, two ideologies.

That's kinda depend what they do with it and how long they want to drag it. As I mentioned, it's a long time since the schism seems to be more based on personal problems between the characters than on ideological or methodological differences.

In all logic, continuing to maintain the appearances of a schism, for the outside world, between the JGS and the NXS is necessary so that the JGS won't be outlawed. But that doesn't mean that the characters need to maintain it between themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Schism was solid. It made more sense to be Cyclops vs. Storm; but I enjoy the split; I like having two MOs, two schools, two ideologies.
    Pretty much my feelings as well. I don't mind the schism but have not liked the way it was done and the impacts that approach has had.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

I felt it was a good idea on paper that was badly executed.

Wolverine shouldn't have been the one to oppose Cyclops, the JGS needed a stronger mission statement and purpose.

Hear hear! Let villains be villains and heroes be heroes again.

Incredible Member

Compared to civil war, schism was handled really well by all those involved. It was a gentlemen disagreement more then anything else.

It took AvsX to really push the issue and is the source of the majority of the baggage of the schism.

Storm should have led the other side though, not Wolverine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    Storm should have led the other side though, not Wolverine.
    Reading X-Force through to the end of Second Coming, I can kind of see WHY Wolverine opposed Cyclops, and the build-up to it. Whether he should have been the leader or not, I don't know.

Mild-Mannered Reporter BlitheringToot's Avatar

I agree that it should have been Storm vs. Cyclops. She's more of an idealist than Logan, and furthermore, Wolverine has NEVER been portrayed as the petty, vindictive little troll he's been since "Schism." Could I see him siding with Storm over Cyclops? Yes. Could I see him throwing an "ARRClops!" fit? No, although that's what we've been subjected to.

If it had been Storm vs. Cyclops, it would have been a more amicable split, too. A schism, yes, but not "ARRClops!" They would have worked together to annihilate the Sentinels attacking Utopia, discussed their viewpoints over coffee and then parted ways. "AvX" would not have happened because Cap would have gone to Storm, who would have reluctantly set up a conference with Cyclops and they would have strategized together.

I suppose it all would have been very boring ... characters acting like adults and such ... but it would have been a better story than what we got. Eh, at least Cyclops has a sweet new costume.
    "What would you prefer? Yellow spandex?" – Scott Summers, 2000

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post
    I agree that it should have been Storm vs. Cyclops. She's more of an idealist than Logan, and furthermore, Wolverine has NEVER been portrayed as the petty, vindictive little troll he's been since "Schism." Could I see him siding with Storm over Cyclops? Yes. Could I see him throwing an "ARRClops!" fit? No, although that's what we've been subjected to.

If it had been Storm vs. Cyclops, it would have been a more amicable split, too. A schism, yes, but not "ARRClops!" They would have worked together to annihilate the Sentinels attacking Utopia, discussed their viewpoints over coffee and then parted ways. "AvX" would not have happened because Cap would have gone to Storm, who would have reluctantly set up a conference with Cyclops and they would have strategized together.

I suppose it all would have been very boring ... characters acting like adults and such ... but it would have been a better story than what we got. Eh, at least Cyclops has a sweet new costume.
    I wish this would have happened
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider

BANNED

Good Idea on Paper if there was a real reason to split in the first place and proper execution

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlitheringToot View Post

All of this. Great elaboration, BlitheringToot !!!
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

I think AvX ruined Schism. Sure, Aaron's Schism was pretty bad, but it wasn't til AvX that it became "THEY ALL HATE EACH OTHER". I blame the Avengers office to be honest. Compare Aaron's AvX (edited by the Avengers office) and Aaron's Wolverine and the X-Men tie-ins. In WatXM he actually bothered to show both sides of the story, and even had Wolverine be reasonable, by listening to Cyclops for a while, before disagreeing with him and letting him go. In AvX he was just an angry short hairy guy.

Praiseworthy Analyst Emerald_616's Avatar

I thought the immediate status quo and team rosters after Schism as part of ReGenesis were AMAZING (except the OOC New Mutants, which was just okay)!

Then AvX came and mucked everything up and the X-Books have been spinning their wheels ever since.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Reading X-Force through to the end of Second Coming, I can kind of see WHY Wolverine opposed Cyclops, and the build-up to it. Whether he should have been the leader or not, I don't know.
    But prior to Schism Logan was basically Scott's right hand man doing whatever it took to protect their people and then he kills his children and then decides kids shouldn't be fighting even though that's what the foundation of the X-men were built on and many, many of his own sidekicks have been teenage girls!!! It made no sense all they really had to do if they wanted two separate teams is write something like the Blue and Gold era everyone has a mission and go from there. The Schism was contrived and made little sense and it needs to be over although a split between Scott and Ororo would of been a bit more realistic!!!