View Poll Results: Grant Morrison's Batman run 655-683 circa July 2006 to Dec 2008 / What is your verdict?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-Stars: Easily One of The Greatest runs I have ever read

31 64.58%
  • 4-Stars: This was really good

8 16.67%
  • 3-Stars: It was okay

3 6.25%
  • 2-Stars: I was more underwhelmed than anything

3 6.25%
  • 1-Star: I'm trying to find my lighter or match so I can set this on fire

3 6.25%
  • No Comment: I haven't read it, or I really have no opinion(s) whatsoever

0 0%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    "Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    He's illustrated Batman: The Chalice and Batman: Cast Shadows, however I suspect he was picked for this particular issue because it's a really great nod towards...

...Batman in prose novels! All Van Fleet covers. I've only read Dead White and it was pretty decent. It's in the same timeline as Batman Begins.
    Those covers look hideous, especially Inferno. It looks a tiny step above the the "quality" I saw with Limbo of the Lost. Also, I vaguely heard of the Chalice and never heard of Cast Shadows.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    No, not the case at all. It's not interesting to me at all and after I read it, I just forget about it. It leaves no impact on me at all with its forgettable story and god awful artwork (not nearly as bad the issue from Batman Incorporated that gave me eye strain though) and that's why I've decided to never reread in the future read through of the run.
    Well, No one has actually said it in this thread; there were people who said it, multiple times, on old threads before the reboot.

I mean, I couldn't believe it. One person said, 'I don't like to read.' Another, 'I don't read books, too many words.' Around ten people, give or take. And I've met some in real life who've also said it. It makes me lose respect for the readership base.

Its not happening here, but it has happened in the past.

Incredible Member

I don't think its a particularly well written issue. I don't have a problem with the idea of it, but if I'm being honest, the execution isn't great.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I get the dislike for the Clown art or RIP's, Kubert's, though I like all three quite a bit. The only truly weak art on the run, for me, was the Nine-Eyed Man issue, and I have to assume there were commercial issues for that.

When I did my semi-reread a few months back, I wanted to dislike the early Kubert issues more. I was being pretentious or something. "Morrison was still finding his feet." "Kubert's flash and no oomph." And it was all lies! Lying to myself. Morrison had his small story then and there, whether the longer stuff was even a gleam to be gleaned or not. The ninja manbats art charity terrorism story of Bruce Wayne's son was there like a fist in the face in the night. Damian takes a couple scenes to grow into himself, but that he does, and he's a strong presence immediately. The art is gorgeous. I'd completely forgotten how beefy the terrorist manbats were, how dynamic and excited, and full of personality his Bruce/Batman was, the easy rapport Bruce and Alfred have, physically, right from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    I don't think anyone has said it failed, only that it wasn't to their taste.
    "If Morrison wanted to write a Joker novel, he should just have written a damn novel."

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to read that sentence if not as implying someone wanted to write a novel and (somehow) instead, wrote a short story with spot illos.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    "If Morrison wanted to write a Joker novel, he should just have written a damn novel."

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to read that sentence if not as implying someone wanted to write a novel and (somehow) instead, wrote a short story with spot illos.
    There's no implication at al. He obviously wanted to write a prose story about Joker, but the comic medium is not the right medium to do that. He didn't fail in any aspect, he just tried to shoehorn something he wanted into something that wasn't meant for it.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Doesn't the Clown At Midnight pay homage to old prose stories that were in English comics or am I just making that up? I think the Fatman on Batman podcast said something like that.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Fantastic Member

A horrible case of MMMMEEEEEEEEEHHHHH

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Last Rites is something I could care less about. Just leaves no impression on me and is something I always end up skipping. Plus, it connects more with Final Crisis, an event I could care even less about.
    For me this was a fantastic story. Morrison uses the intrusion in Batman's mind to give us a summary of his life before he "dies" in Final Crisis. And because he is fighting the intrusion, the Lump changes the dream for a bit into "Alfred's" story, the story of a world without Batman, where we get to explore Bruce's, Dick's, Gordon's and Gotham's fates if the Waynes had survived the robbery.

But what really makes the story, is the ending. Alfred gives a goosebump inducing monologue about his belief in Bruce's ideal and his dedication in standing by his side, Bruce's heartwarming aknowledgement of Alfred's importance in his life ("it doesnt matter who killed Batman, but who kept him alive all these years"), as well as the belief the belief that Batman will always win the way. It gives me goosebumps every time i read it.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 05-13-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Fantastic Member

I preferred Knightfall to this.

Incredible Member

I'd be all up for more text/prose use in comics as long as it was good.

Especially the beginning of a story. A nice big text dump of "previously on Batman..." at the start of each issue and a glossary at the back would be neat (although irrelevant now that internet wikis exist).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    So I just got around to reading the Batman & Son Mega arc. My friend gave me a good chunk of the books to read. Starting with "The Black Glove Deluxe Edition" I've enjoyed it very much. The beginning with the introduction of Damien, and then leading into these 3 Batman imposters. I'm enjoying it so much. If it keeps up at this pace, and call me prisoner of the moment, it could usurp The Dark Knight Returns as my favorite Batman story.

The Batman RIP trade is next, and I should have that done by Thursday or Friday.

Your opinions on the overall story?
    Do yourself a favour if you have not read final crisis do not read all of batman R.I.P stop just before the end and do not read the last rites issues at the end of the trade,instead forego these two chapters read the batman time and the batman trade except for issue 700 then come back to R.I.P trade to read last rites chapters and the back to time and then batman trade for issue 700 trust me if your a nooby and have no knowledge of final crisis it will read better
    Last edited by Dr.Octagon; 05-13-2014 at 09:03 AM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    For me this was a fantastic story. Morrison uses the intrusion in Batman's mind to give us a summary of his life before he "dies" in Final Crisis. And because he is fighting the intrusion, the Lump changes the dream for a bit into "Alfred's" story, the story of a world without Batman, where we get to explore Bruce's, Dick's, Gordon's and Gotham's fates if the Waynes had survived the robbery.

But what really makes the story, is the ending. Alfred gives a goosebump inducing monologue about his belief in Bruce's ideal and his dedication in standing by his side, Bruce's heartwarming aknowledgement of Alfred's importance in his life ("it doesnt matter who killed Batman, but who kept him alive all these years"), as well as the belief the belief that Batman will always win the way. It gives me goosebumps every time i read it.
    I agree.. it also,for those who have read everything from batman through the 40's to 50's 60's 70' 80' 90's a great summary of events in batman's life and how his personality has changed and evolved over the years.. brought a tear to my eye.. morrisson is the greatest batman writer there has been in my opinion.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Default 663 is probably my favorite Joker story

It's been a few years, but I did read from #655 to #683 about three times, and I liked it a lot more each time. I didn't go nuts with annotations and theories or what have you, and I didn't even read Final Crisis, but those to me were just to put icing on an already spectacular cake. Much stronger and deeper than New X-Men, with better collaborations. It's a 5 to me not because it's perfect or because everyone can enjoy it, but because I can say it did as much for me as I could ever expect from a big superhero comic.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Doesn't the Clown At Midnight pay homage to old prose stories that were in English comics or am I just making that up? I think the Fatman on Batman podcast said something like that.
    Considering Morrison's Batman work and all the tributes, homages, and bringing back everything from the past, I would not be surprised if it was a homage. That being said, it still wouldn't change my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Morrisons mentions a certain Denny O'Neil prose story being influential.

Also, weird fact, the very first Batman story that Morrison ever wrote was not AA, it was an illustrated prose story in some anthology thats never been reprinted and I'm assuming hardly anyone's ever read. It is about Catwoman stealing from the batcave.