View Poll Results: Grant Morrison's Batman run 655-683 circa July 2006 to Dec 2008 / What is your verdict?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-Stars: Easily One of The Greatest runs I have ever read

31 64.58%
  • 4-Stars: This was really good

8 16.67%
  • 3-Stars: It was okay

3 6.25%
  • 2-Stars: I was more underwhelmed than anything

3 6.25%
  • 1-Star: I'm trying to find my lighter or match so I can set this on fire

3 6.25%
  • No Comment: I haven't read it, or I really have no opinion(s) whatsoever

0 0%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Technically it's an entire issue with artwork, though its mostly a prose story. The artwork by some guy called John Van Fleet, who I'm not remotely familiar with and hope not see anything from again if most of his artwork looks it was done in an old version of Poser 3D.

How was it glorification of Tim Drake? Didn't he nearly get killed in it? If it was glorification of Drake, shouldn't he have beaten the complete snot out of Damian?
    "Choose your adopted son or your blood son. It must be one of these two!". Since when is Tim related to the al Ghul family? Ra's wanted a perfect specimen, and here Batman was offering HIS own body--he's what--29? And billion-year-old Ra's sez, "I crave YOUTH!" So Ra's wants to come back as a prepube? Just a lame shoehorn into the plot to make Tim the focus instead of Damian because Tim is the editorial favorite.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Morrisons mentions a certain Denny O'Neil prose story being influential.
    Death Strikes at Midnight and Three? Because that's one of the unsung greats.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    "Choose your adopted son or your blood son. It must be one of these two!". Since when is Tim related to the al Ghul family? Ra's wanted a perfect specimen, and here Batman was offering HIS own body--he's what--29? And billion-year-old Ra's sez, "I crave YOUTH!" So Ra's wants to come back as a prepube? Just a lame shoehorn into the plot to make Tim the focus instead of Damian because Tim is the editorial favorite.
    Well, Tim's body has also sustained less significant damage than Bruce's likely has.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

where they filmed that one movie and half of that other one

4/5

Didn't like it at first but I came to appreciate what Morrison tried to do upon later re-readings

I love this run. Quite a lot of ballsy moves made, and some great stories. I'd give it a 4.9 if I could, just so I can acknowledge that the Batman and Robin run is even better.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Morrisons mentions a certain Denny O'Neil prose story being influential.

Also, weird fact, the very first Batman story that Morrison ever wrote was not AA, it was an illustrated prose story in some anthology thats never been reprinted and I'm assuming hardly anyone's ever read. It is about Catwoman stealing from the batcave.

Wait, THAT'S what I'm pretty sure I meant. He says that on Fatman, correct? (About his Batman prose story.)
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Wait, THAT'S what I'm pretty sure I meant. He says that on Fatman, correct? (About his Batman prose story.)
    He did mention the Catwoman prose story. I don't remember him saying Clown After Midnight was an homage, but that very well could be so.

Here's some more info and a peek.

http://sequart.org/magazine/19399/19...n-1986-batman/

Layout looks pretty similar.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ispacehead View Post
    He did mention the Catwoman prose story. I don't remember him saying Clown After Midnight was an homage, but that very well could be so.

Here's some more info and a peek.

http://sequart.org/magazine/19399/19...n-1986-batman/

Layout looks pretty similar.
    Yeah, I meant that it wasn't a homage and the Catwoman story is what I got it confused with. Cool link!
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Well, Tim's body has also sustained less significant damage than Bruce's likely has.
    Good point. But has it been established somewhere that Tim is related to the al Ghuls? Initially Ra's sez it must be Damian because he is Of The Blood, then he lowers his sights to include Tim. Even if Bruce's body has had its bumps and knocks, he is STILL the perfect physical specimen and 29 years old ain't exactly codger material (like Ra's). If I was Ra's and looking to come back and strike fear into the hearts of my enemies, etc etc etc, I'd jump at the chance to come back in the body of a moose like Bruce instead a laughable CHILD. There's no logic in this storyline.

BANNED

To address the OP, I don't like most of this run. But Black Glove and RIP I love, and it sets up Batman and Robin and RoBW which I really dug. The whole thing is well worth reading and I enjoyed it even if most of it I don't feel like reading again. I give it 5 stars just because it is essential.