Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Red Panda and Flying Squirrel

This is a thread to talk about the radio show, the novels, and the comic books!
    red_panda.jpg

I have seen the comics book but I am bit clueless about the radio show! The best part about this comic is the engagement level and the way they proceed. We can say everything is quite planned and projected well here.

I really should be trying this series . . . but I don't know if I've seen an issue in a comic book story, and I sort of hate to just jump into a full tpb collection without having read a single issue.
    (And I'm one of those old fuddy-duddies who don't do digital.)

Pulp Purveyor & Noir Nut FiveGhosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I really should be trying this series . . . but I don't know if I've seen an issue in a comic book story, and I sort of hate to just jump into a full tpb collection without having read a single issue.
    (And I'm one of those old fuddy-duddies who don't do digital.)
    I think there's only one trade so far.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveGhosts View Post
    A quick check finds it new at
    * barnesandnoble.com for $14.20
    * amazon.com for $14.17
    * instocktrades.com at $12.59

One trade so far, collecting the first 3 digital issues. The 3 digital issues were black & white, but the TPB is in color. If you want to try out the story for free, there is the option of the video comic on YouTube. It combines the original black and white artwork with the voice cast from the radio drama, giving you a taste of each.

Mask of the Red Panda video comic playlist

If you enjoy the comic, be sure to check out Decoder Ring Theatre for 110 (and counting) radio drama adventures of the Red Panda and Flying Squirrel (all gloriously free). I also highly recommend the "Tales of the Red Panda" novel series.
    Last edited by MadMikeyD; 12-06-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Why haven't you updated the black and white digital issues to color?
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Well, first, I have nothing to do with it. I'm just a huge fan. Second, I have heard the color was done exclusively as a selling point for the TPB.

I think there's someone who posts here who's involved with the series. I thought that was you.

Seems to me that adding color punishes early adopters who bought the digital issues. That isn't a minor change.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I think there's someone who posts here who's involved with the series. I thought that was you.
    You probably are thinking of me, as I frequently try to promote the heck out of the series, but I'm not involved beyond that.

Anxiously awaiting issue #10 to see Dean Kotz's interpretation of my favorite Red Panda villain, the Mad Monkey. I wonder if we'll also see his loyal minion, Beauregard...

Here is the Mad Monkey envisioned by "Crogan Adventures" creator Chris Schweizer:
    MadMonkey.jpg

Here is a link to the Mad Monkey's first appearance in the radio drama, which remains one of my all-time favorite episodes:
    Red Panda Adventures - episode 20 - Monkeyshines
    Last edited by MadMikeyD; 01-11-2015 at 08:08 AM.

While on the subject of the first appearances of Red Panda characters who have appeared in the comics, I thought I'd provide links to some other debuts:

First, the first episode of the radio series, which marks the true first appearances of the Red Panda, the Flying Squirrel and Dr. Chronopolis (Dr. C appeared in issue #2):
    Red Panda Adventures - episode 1 - Riddle of the Sphinx

Next, the first appearace of the Red Panda's old mentor, the Stranger, who appeared in issue #1 of the comic book:
    Red Panda Adventures - episode 17 - Merlin's Tomb

Here is a two-for-one. The first appearances of two of the Red Panda's most trusted agents, Andy Parker (issue #4) and Harry Kelly (issues #8-9):
    Red Panda Adventures - episode 15 - When Darkness Falls

The last one for now - and also an all-time favorite of mine - the first appearance of Professor Zombie, the villain of comic issues 8-9:
    Red Panda Adventures - episode 2 - Night Patrol

For those keeping up, or for those who aren't neccessarily big on chronology, the newest episode of the Red Panda is now up:

"Times change so quickly, it can be difficult to keep track. Is that the youngest spotter in your crime-fighting network beside you, or is it a cub reporter, or a war hero... or has he become something different... something more? Sometimes you need another perspective to tell. Sometimes the only clue is the ringing of the Chimes at Midnight!"

Red Panda Adventures - episode 111 - The Chimes at Midnight

Additionally, if you prefer to get your audio drama content from YouTube (I don't get it), the back catalog of Red Panda episodes is being uploaded here:

Decoder Ring Theatre YouTube Channel
    Last edited by MadMikeyD; 02-02-2015 at 06:33 AM.

In case you missed it, Red Panda #10 is out now, featuring the comic book debut of the Red Panda's self-proclaimed nemesis, the Mad Monkey.

CBR Preview - Red Panda #10

Red-Panda-10-1-02d7f.jpg

I should really start getting the digital comics. I loved the Mask of the Red Panda and I have read two of the novels so far. Can you get them on the Decoder Ring website or should i get them somewhere else?