Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122 LastLast

Hera turned her into a clay statue and the Amazons into snakes out of revenge for her affair with Zeus. Later, after Hera had changed due to Diana's influence and her time as a mortal, she reverted her curse on the Amazons but for some reason was unable to undo her curse on Hippolyta even though she wanted to. The reason why was left unresolved though.

Spectacular Member

Hmm, what's that in the middle of the page in this week's Justice League?

image.jpg
    How ironic (choke)

Extraordinary Member

deleted post
    Last edited by brettc1; 11-24-2014 at 04:57 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mart View Post
    Hmm, what's that in the middle of the page in this week's Justice League?

image.jpg

Here is a panel from later in the issue...

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

All those $100 bills and Diana can only see a teddy bear.

BANNED

I'm not good at summarising things, soooo... page by page analysis:

COVER

Do you remember the time when this series had covers that, by virtue of their essential linework and spectacular colour choices, were always the most recognisable of the week, among other DC offers? I do, and I regret those days are over. I REALLY regret those days are over.

Page 1

Art could be much worse, so no real complaining. But I see there are internal narration boxes. Three years of their absence have left such a mark that they're alreadygetting on my nerves (even though Mrs. Finch is keeping them short, for now).

Page 2

Again, thankfully short narration and OK art with some ups and downs (nice rain-turned-teardrop, but the Asian guy in the 5th panel has the smile of someone who has just ethnically cleansed a village rather than that of a happy farmer). Why is Hippolyta still a clay statue, back to her original position to boot? I can accept she lost her mobility after the end of the battle, but not even Disney's Gargoyles needed to strike the same pose every time they petrified.

PAGE 3

Really, what's the point with the narration by now? Finch may not be 60's Steve Ditko or 80's Gibbons, but I think that the storytelling was clear enough that these first three pages could have easily been a mute sequence. Also, that guy in the 2nd panel is there because... He's still watching the valley while the dike is on the verge of collapse (not something that takes a tenth of a second to happen) because...

PAGE 4

Stop-narrating-about-water, dangit! Nice job on Diana's hands in the 4th panel, though. There's something about that image that mesmerises me, I don't know why. Also, kudos to the colourist, for once.

PAGE 5

I swear I've never seen a childish drawing framed like that. Mostly because there's no way a child would draw on such a small piece of paper, but I digress. I swear there's something really weird in the proportions of Diana's facial features and in general in every female face drawn by David Finch.

PAGE 5

Aaaaugh!!! Panel 3! Panel 3! I regret my previous statement about David Finch's standard female faces, at least they don't normally haunt me in my nightmares! Also, "women of Earth"? What's this, an "Highlander" sequel? I thought that Space Amazons crap had ended with Gail Simone.

PAGE 6

Oh, the crone! Not your everyday crone, but the one living in Paradise Island that has made misandry a kind of ideology (note that she underlines the fact that Diana's father is "misogynist", just like a Fascist propagandist saw "Judeo-Bolshevik" intrigue in everything). That Gail Simone's story about the dangers that Hollywood posed on WW mythos was at best a warning, not a TRACE, Meredith.

PAGE 7/8

Nobody's listening to you, Barry. Everyone is thinking at the dress they'll wear at the coming Diana's Sweet Sixteen.

PAGE 9

Barry, really? A sinkhole can cause a catastrophic event with repercussions that are felt most harshly in Ecuador and Thailand (7000 miles of mostly ocean between the two nations)? The Flash really dodged a bullet when the Finches were assigned to WW.

PAGE 10

Why do I feel I'm going to be very disappointed by the next few pages?

PAGE 11/12

"Vegetative" does not mean what you think it means, Diana. Also, it seems that we can add "jumping to conclusions" to the list of Diana's superpowers. Unfortunately, it's a rather counter-productive superpower since the end of the 1966-1968 Batman TV serial.

PAGE 13

What is your problem indeed! Tell her, Swampy! You've always been a favourite of mine anyway. By the way, something's wtong with Diana's head in the 1st panel. Or it could be that Finch is uncomfortable with drawing anger (not nearly as Lee Bermejo on the cover of Secret Origins #6, at least.

PAGE 14

This dialogue between WW and Swampy completely lacks rhythm. And that's not a good thing. At all.

PAGE 15

Answer to 6th panel Aquaman's question: "Writer change, Arthur. Writer change." Also, Wonder Bondage!!!!

PAGE 16

So Diana, "asking questions" is now synonimous of "blindly attacking the first chap with superpowers you meet"? How the mighty have fallen... And are you telling me that the only consequence of Swampy's incursion in WW's book is this lame dialogue between her and Arthur??! Again, 4th panel Aquaman: "Writer change".

PAGE 17

Those puppy eyes of yours are useless, Diana. Way too much complaining for a properly-written Wonder Woman. Sorry, but I really cannot see this conversation between two people both bearing the weight of a crown being handled in a worse way than this.

PAGE 18

Sigh... While I can agree with Diana's ideas, do they have to be exposed in such a clunky way?

PAGE 19

There's something really underwhelming and anti-climactic in seeing a clay statue melt instead of break into pieces. I think that's the reason broken statues have always been "in", unlike puddles of brown goo.

Final vote: 4 out of 10. 4.5/10 if we stretch the good artistic quirks. The transition from Azz 'n' Chang to the Finches was even more traumatic than the 2011 reboot. At least in those days I knew anything would have been better than Straczynski post-Straczynski's Wonder Woman"
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 11-25-2014 at 06:38 AM. Reason: language

Spectacular Member

@inSavnity:

AGE 7/8

Nobody's listening to you, Barry. Everyone is thinking at the dress they'll wear at the coming Diana's Sweet Sixteen

Oh, bravo, that made me giggle.
    How ironic (choke)

I just noticed Swamp Thing could have had some purpose in the story, but it was wasted: the League apparently don't know ANYTHING about what happened to the villages. They don't know they were flooded. Swamp Thing was there when the water inundated one village. But then he says he "can't offer any insight"... and now the League still don't know it was caused by water.

Quote Originally Posted by InSavnity View Post
    I'm not good at summarising things, soooo... page by page analysis:

COVER

Do you remember the time when this series had covers that, by virtue of their essential linework and spectacular colour choices, were always the most recognisable of the week, among other DC offers? I do, and I regret those days are over. I REALLY regret those days are over.

Page 1

Art could be much worse, so no real complaining. But I see there are internal narration boxes. Three years of their absence have left such a mark that they're alreadygetting on my nerves (even though Mrs. Finch is keeping them short, for now).

Page 2

Again, thankfully short narration and OK art with some ups and downs (nice rain-turned-teardrop, but the Asian guy in the 5th panel has the smile of someone who has just ethnically cleansed a village rather than that of a happy farmer). Why is Hippolyta still a clay statue, back to her original position to boot? I can accept she lost her mobility after the end of the battle, but not even Disney's Gargoyles needed to strike the same pose every time they petrified.

PAGE 3

Really, what's the point with the narration by now? Finch may not be 60's Steve Ditko or 80's Gibbons, but I think that the storytelling was clear enough that these first three pages could have easily been a mute sequence. Also, that guy in the 2nd panel is there because... He's still watching the valley while the dike is on the verge of collapse (not something that takes a tenth of a second to happen) because...

PAGE 4

Stop-narrating-about-water, dangit! Nice job on Diana's hands in the 4th panel, though. There's something about that image that mesmerises me, I don't know why. Also, kudos to the colourist, for once.

PAGE 5

I swear I've never seen a childish drawing framed like that. Mostly because there's no way a child would draw on such a small piece of paper, but I digress. I swear there's something really weird in the proportions of Diana's facial features and in general in every female face drawn by David Finch.

PAGE 5

Aaaaugh!!! Panel 3! Panel 3! I regret my previous statement about David Finch's standard female faces, at least they don't normally haunt me in my nightmares! Also, "women of Earth"? What's this, an "Highlander" sequel? I thought that Space Amazons crap had ended with Gail Simone.

PAGE 6

Oh, the crone! Not your everyday crone, but the one living in Paradise Island that has made misandry a kind of ideology (note that she underlines the fact that Diana's father is "misogynist", just like a Fascist propagandist saw "Judeo-Bolshevik" intrigue in everything). That Gail Simone's story about the dangers that Hollywood posed on WW mythos was at best a warning, not a TRACE, Meredith.

PAGE 7/8

Nobody's listening to you, Barry. Everyone is thinking at the dress they'll wear at the coming Diana's Sweet Sixteen.

PAGE 9

Barry, really? A sinkhole can cause a catastrophic event with repercussions that are felt most harshly in Ecuador and Thailand (7000 miles of mostly ocean between the two nations)? The Flash really dodged a bullet when the Finches were assigned to WW.

PAGE 10

Why do I feel I'm going to be very disappointed by the next few pages?

PAGE 11/12

"Vegetative" does not mean what you think it means, Diana. Also, it seems that we can add "jumping to conclusions" to the list of Diana's superpowers. Unfortunately, it's a rather counter-productive superpower since the end of the 1966-1968 Batman TV serial.

PAGE 13

What is your problem indeed! Tell her, Swampy! You've always been a favourite of mine anyway. By the way, something's wtong with Diana's head in the 1st panel. Or it could be that Finch is uncomfortable with drawing anger (not nearly as Lee Bermejo on the cover of Secret Origins #6, at least.

PAGE 14

This dialogue between WW and Swampy completely lacks rhythm. And that's not a good thing. At all.

PAGE 15

Answer to 6th panel Aquaman's question: "Writer change, Arthur. Writer change." Also, Wonder Bondage!!!!

PAGE 16

So Diana, "asking questions" is now synonimous of "blindly attacking the first chap with superpowers you meet"? How the mighty have fallen... And are you telling me that the only consequence of Swampy's incursion in WW's book is this lame dialogue between her and Arthur??! Again, 4th panel Aquaman: "Writer change".

PAGE 17

Those puppy eyes of yours are useless, Diana. Way too much complaining for a properly-written Wonder Woman. Sorry, but I really cannot see this conversation between two people both bearing the weight of a crown being handled in a worse way than this.

PAGE 18

Sigh... While I can agree with Diana's ideas, do they have to be exposed in such a clunky way?

PAGE 19

There's something really underwhelming and anti-climactic in seeing a clay statue melt instead of break into pieces. I think that's the reason broken statues have always been "in", unlike puddles of brown goo.

Final vote: 4 out of 10. 4.5/10 if we stretch the good artistic quirks. The transition from Azz 'n' Chang to the Finches was even more traumatic than the 2011 reboot. At least in those days I knew anything would have been better than Straczynski post-Straczynski's Wonder Woman.
    This is just beautiful.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Just read it. Not as horrible as I thought, but definitely heavy-handed. Could have been better with a few more revisions and a stronger editorial hand.

The only part that resonated for me is the part with the crone (Hippolyta's sister) and her lifelong hatred of Diana as the "viper" offspring of Zeus. Reminiscent of Alkyone and the Circle during Gail's run.

Spectacular Member

I dropped Azz. WW after 5 issues! I didn't like how dark the was story, surrounding WW with a dark supporting cast, making WW the God of war, I didn't like these idea of WW being paired with the man that sexually harassed her,Orion! She didn't get paired with Orion but just the idea of that happening really turned me off too the new version of WW and Azz. dark story!! I was looking forward too a new team coming in and getting way from that dark story and the Gods, I didn't like the Gods before and even less now!! I Plan on picking up the first 5 issues too see if i like what the new team is doing! I did buy WW# 36! It was different and didn't seem as dark as Azz. story was, and no Gods were in the first installment besides WW, thank goodness! I wouldn't says it was great but the first issue was alright!! My only question would be, do all the JL members know that Superman is Clark Kent?? I was surprised WW called him Clark when she was talking to Aquaman!
    Last edited by chlj1; 11-28-2014 at 04:22 PM.

It was so nice to see Kara Zor-El as Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlus View Post
    It was so nice to see Kara Zor-El as Wonder Woman.

Keep the good work, @inSavnity! Great review!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Charlus View Post
    Keep the good work, @inSavnity! Great review!

Aww, aren't you sweet?