Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sirjustin86 View Post
    Take it you're a big fan of Azz's run then - haha. I think Aquaman was a good choice of friend in the scene also, given the allusions to whatever was doing the damage (both to the village and the now-mushy hippolyta) was water, following the opening theme of water healing, but also destroying, etc. I liked the Demi-God roster of Azz, and I don't think anyone should or could fault Chiang's art - it's beautiful. But like that which you're entitled to, that's just my opinion. I'd love to see Meredith tackle and reinvent some of Diana's old rogues gallery. So much untapped potential in its strongly Silver-Age zaniness..!

Oh, I have every issue of Azz's run locked in my vault! It's so dear to me! :P

In all seriousness, I agree that Aquaman's presence in this story seems quite natural with all of the water elements at play. As for Chiang's art. He's not horrible, especially when he puts his full effort into something but I found his work on Wonder Woman to be too simplistic and inconsistent for my taste. I loved his recent Wonder Con drawing of Diana as well as his new Harley Quinn/Batgirl variant cover.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Really liked the issue. Nice change of pace. Great character development. Fantastic cliffhanger.
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    It read an awful lot like Phil Jimenez's Wonder Woman whining to her hair stylist about Trevor Barnes blowing her off, and Eric Luke's Wonder Woman whining about being lonely in a plastic dome full of talking animals ..and whinier moments, way, wa-aay back in the George Perez run, when Diana was whining to Julia about how desperately she wanted to make Queen Hippolyte proud of her ..or Nessie whining about her life, as a middle school student, ..or Doc Julia whining about how Diana's innocence made her want to cry.

Two, whole pages of this, ..in 2014?
    saw this page, pretty childish. a TEDDY BEAR? lololololl and to add the icing on the cake Finch draws her like a 15 yesars old. oh c'mon. I now young women with kids, husband, a job and still study at night on college. get real WW.

So my theory that the Finchs didn't know about the ending of Azz's run is pretty much confirmed.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Fantastic Member

Yeah, the teddy bear and all her dialog about "all those children" was laying it on thick. Her talk with Aquaman was pretty heavy-handed, a way to telegraph to new readers what's been going on recently, with added hand-wringing. One thing I liked about Azzarello's Diana was that despite all that had been happening to her, she always dealt in a level-headed manner, she didn't resort to emo complaining. I like a Diana who can deal, not whine.

I also thought it was weird that they were out looking for clues to the devastation of the small towns, and then she ends up on Paradise Island. Did she give up so quickly?

The attack on Swamp Thing seemed like an excuse for some action. And that she's asking whether she should "let herself down" --does this mean she can't break free on her own? She's powerless if bound by a man?

The Amazon intrigue seems a little tired. Haven't we been here before?

It definitely wasn't the worst thing I've read, but it's hard to go back to basic comic-book writing when Azzarello was so subtle and intriguing. He grabbed me from the first issue. I don't see anything amazing here, but it's not so bad I plan on dropping it. I was just hoping for something a little more.

I also thought the Amazon Clymene was a doppelgänger for Diana from the Amazonia one-shot by Phil Winslade.

I read it
    I liked it
    No..... actually I loved it.

I thought Meredith showed potential
    I really liked how she wrote Diana/Wonder Woman
    and thought she was very good with the dialogue for all the characters.
    I need to know what is up with the teddy bear however (I expect it will have a personal connection between her and Hippolyta )
    Bottom line? I picked up Wonder Woman #36 expecting the worse, but ended up enjoying it very very much

I have to now go back to page one of this thread and see what others have to say.

Astonishing Member

Well, that was amateurish to say the least.
    Mediocre as only Wonder Woman comics made by the book could be.

Oh well, who cares. In 6 or 7 months, after Convergence and the new writer, it will all be dust, and nobody will remember it.
    Last edited by Myskin; 11-19-2014 at 10:43 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Well, that was amateurish to say the least.
    Mediocre as only Wonder Woman comics made by the book could be.

Oh well, who cares. In 6 or 7 months, after Convergence and the new writer, it will all be dust, and nobody will remember it.
    hope it is the case.

writing was pretty generic and previsible. from the female leds book I read today, ww got the worst art and writing.

BANNED

I liked this issue, go team Finch!
    Last edited by Lax; 11-19-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Always Rakzo

Yeaaaaah, this wasn't good.

It was pretentious in the worst way possible, it took itself more seriously than it deserved.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    hope it is the case.

writing was pretty generic and previsible. from the female leds book I read today, ww got the worst art and writing.
    Nobody remember the fillers, even when they put some big name (Finch) on them just to make everyone forget that they are fillers.

I wrote about this scene on my tumblr, which can be found here;

This scene is a monologue taking place while Wonder Woman is scrubbing the blood from her body after her most recent (and unexplained) murder. Here she emphasizes the importance of the substance in removing the victims blood from her body.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 11-19-2014 at 11:21 AM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Something else...the blue in Diana's costume appears to be almost completely gone.

Sure, the 'old red, white and blue' harkens back to Lynda Carter pushing people into cardboard boxes on TV, ..but, even dark blue, at least, is...pretty? In colorist Richard Friend's hands, Wonder Woman is now a crimson, black and silver figure now, and David Finch's pencils make her look like a seventeen year old girl. Gone is the solidly reassuring breadth and girth of the ultimate woman. The broad, beautiful face, hard jawline, big shoulders, wide hips and broad bosom of Chiang's working woman superhero has been replaced by a baby-faced, bobble-headed, Barbie-like, Victoria's Secret supermodel, with a creepy, child-like prettiness about her. Think Adriana Lima and Baby Spice, ..but, poutier and more juvenille, if that's possible.

She's gorgeous.

That people who were big supports of the previous run didn't like it is a good sign to me, because that means it must be distancing itself from it.

How far removed is it from the previous? Does it remove Zola and the supporting cast it had, does it completely start over fresh with no traces of what came before?

Anyone have a screenshot of the eskimo kiss? Sounds cute.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

BANNED

Well, the book sadly took the rather expected nosedive in quality, both in art and writing. And really? Is DC so scared of BleedingCool leaking the endgame that one writer can't tell the other wo is alive, who is dead or transformed by the final page?

Its not appalingly bad, but it's pretty much sunk beneath alot of other books now.

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    That people who were big supports of the previous run didn't like it is a good sign to me, because that means it must be distancing itself from it.

How far removed is it from the previous? Does it remove Zola and the supporting cast it had, does it completely start over fresh with no traces of what came before?
    You're out of luck, it plays directly into where Azzarello left it.