Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    There may be no factual opinions, but that doesn't mean that absolutely nothing can possibly be objective in the field of art, comic book, or anything else. Believe it or not, when almost all of the most authoritative opinions on a comic book are positive, generally speaking it means that that book has an objective value. And it's perfectly normal. There are books which I hate, but that doesn't prevent me from recognizing their objective value. Anyway, as I said, this comparison to Azz is somehow misleading.

I guess we differ on our opinions on what we consider authoritative as I've never looked upon a comic reviewer(even those that are paid to do so) as having an opinion that is any more objective or credible than anyone else's. I personally gave issue #36 an 8.5 out of 10 but if the majority of comic review sites gave it a 10, does that mean I failed to realize the full greatness of the issue? If those same sites gave it a 1, does that mean that I'm "wrong" for appreciating something that they didn't? I just think that too much weight is put behind reviews and awards in the media industry. Like what you like, hate what you hate, and don't let anyone influence you otherwise, I say.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 11-19-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Astonishing Member

"I feel like I'm being pulled in a thousand different directions".

"It's funny how easy it is to take for granted something that's so essential to our well-being..."
    Yeah, I think you put your finger on the problem there. Those lines are pretty unimaginative and cliched. As I'm sure someone will remind us, not everything has to be a pun or some kind of extravagant wordplay or figure of speech; but everything doesn't have to be cliched, either. This is language that might occur to most of us off the top of our heads, and I'd like writers to craft something more interesting than that for Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA
    What's wrong with sharing a scene with a teddy bear? It's a sad day when the inner kid within us all is completely left behind.
    In a different context, i'd agree with you. For example, if she had a collection of teddy bears at home--gifts from young fans, maybe--I'd be happy to see her cuddling one in a whimsical moment. But, while she's going on at some length (and without much insight ) about how overwhelming her responsibilities are, just after she lashed out at someone without thinking it through, clutching a teddy bear might just contribute to the impression that she seems a little immature. And the way she's drawn certainly doesn't help dispel that impression.
    Last edited by Silvanus; 11-19-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    hope it is the case.

writing was pretty generic and previsible. from the female leds book I read today, ww got the worst art and writing.
    Really? The art is worse than She-Hulk? Really?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I guess we differ on our opinions on what we consider authoritative as I've never looked upon a comic reviewer(even those that are paid to do so) as have an opinion that is any more objective or credible than anyone else's. I personally gave issue #36 an 8.5 out of 10 but if the majority of comic review sights gave it a 10, does that mean I failed to realize the full greatness of the issue? If those same sites gave it a 1, does that mean that I'm "wrong" for appreciating something that they didn't? I just think that too much weight is put behind reviews and awards in the media industry.
    Reviews on a fan site are one thing, authoritative critics is a completely different thing. And it's much more complex than this. But, as I said, it's misleading.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Reviews on a fan site are one thing, authoritative critics is a completely different thing. And it's much more complex than this. But, as I said, it's misleading.

So what are your thoughts on this review from this authoritative critic from www.graphicpolicy.com:

REVIEW: WONDER WOMAN #36
    Posted on November 19, 2014 by Edward Wendt Leave a comment
    ww0036covThe Wonder Woman series takes a different turn starting with this issue. So far since the new 52, the character has been controlled by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang, but with this issue the new team of married couple David and Meredith Finch, the series is undergoing a change. Since the launch of the new 52, the series has been one of the standouts for DC Comics, and many fans of the character list the previous 35 issues as some of the favorites in the character’s long publication history, rivaling those of George Peres and Gail Simone. If there had been one criticism of the new series, it is that it was mostly as a standalone from the remainder of the DC Universe. There was the occasional cameo by others, but mostly the series kept to itself and told its own story. With the new creative team, the emphasis is now on how to balance what is now comic canon from the previous run in regards to her modified origin and history, while also trying to reintegrate the character into the mainstream DC Universe.

This doesn’t take long, after a nearly poetic entrance, and a short interlude by the Amazons, Diana is shown immediately surrounded by her allies from the Justice League. No sooner is she appraised of the situation than she is off to investigate the disappearance of numerous villages around the globe. This gives a chance for a short (and possibly out-of-place) fight scene, but the character of Wonder Woman is handled well throughout, as her true nature is shown versus the other characters. She may be the Goddess of War, but as the Futures End series demonstrated, she is probably better suited to be the Goddess of Peace. Seemingly the creative team didn’t want to thrust the character back into the DC Universe entirely, and so by the end of the issue she is back to Themyscira for a problem now rooted back into those of the mythology from which she is born.

Overall the issue does what it needs to have done. Wonder Woman is thrown back into the main DC Universe with careful intention, and yet the ties to her stories so far in the new 52 are not simply forgotten. Much was made about David Finch’s comment about the character and feminism, but those were apparently taken out of context, and really he does a great job drawing female characters (though I might point out that his male characters tend to be a bit boxy). Focusing on the feminine is not a bad thing for this book, as long as it is not exploitative, and with one issue into this new direction, the creative team seems to at least be on the right track.

Story: Meredith Finch Art: David Finch
    Story: 9 Art: 9 Overall: 9 Recommendation: Buy
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

So what are your thoughts on this review from this authoritative critic from www.graphicpolicy.com:
    What's critical about that? The guy's review boils down to "I like that it's connected to the rest of the DCU. 9/10. Go buy it."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post
    Really? The art is worse than She-Hulk? Really?
    I haven't seen She-Hulk, but it'd have to be something Liefeld-esque to beat this.

fiiiiiiiinch! 1.jpg

fiiiiiiiinch! 2.jpg

fiiiiiiiinch! 3.jpg

I guess we differ on our opinions on what we consider authoritative as I've never looked upon a comic reviewer(even those that are paid to do so) as having an opinion that is any more objective or credible than anyone else's. I personally gave issue #36 an 8.5 out of 10 but if the majority of comic review sites gave it a 10, does that mean I failed to realize the full greatness of the issue? If those same sites gave it a 1, does that mean that I'm "wrong" for appreciating something that they didn't? I just think that too much weight is put behind reviews and awards in the media industry. Like what you like, hate what you hate, and don't let anyone influence you otherwise, I say.
    Well its good you feel this way because I doubt this issue will get above a 7 on Comicbookroundup.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Incredible Member

It was okay, unnecessary musing over water aside. I like that she's confiding in Aquaman, though I can't help but wonder if she keeps that teddy bear in the jet just for moments like this? *If* the Swamp Thing appearance has relevance later on, a la "great disturbance in the green" = Swampy showing up later in a future issue, giving this first fight meaning in the overall storyline, I won't mind that the fight feels forced in.

This issue is presumably all about planting seeds, and it could have been better, but it's to early to be distressed, I think.

And lord knows it was head-and-shoulders above Superman/Wonder Woman #13.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    What's critical about that? The guy's review boils down to "I like that it's connected to the rest of the DCU. 9/10. Go buy it."
    Yup. Exactly.

REVIEW: WONDER WOMAN #36
    Posted on November 19, 2014 by Edward Wendt Leave a comment
    ww0036covThe Wonder Woman series takes a different turn starting with this issue. So far since the new 52, the character has been controlled by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang, but with this issue the new team of married couple David and Meredith Finch, the series is undergoing a change. Since the launch of the new 52, the series has been one of the standouts for DC Comics, and many fans of the character list the previous 35 issues as some of the favorites in the character’s long publication history, rivaling those of George Peres and Gail Simone. If there had been one criticism of the new series, it is that it was mostly as a standalone from the remainder of the DC Universe. There was the occasional cameo by others, but mostly the series kept to itself and told its own story. With the new creative team, the emphasis is now on how to balance what is now comic canon from the previous run in regards to her modified origin and history, while also trying to reintegrate the character into the mainstream DC Universe.

This doesn’t take long, after a nearly poetic entrance, and a short interlude by the Amazons, Diana is shown immediately surrounded by her allies from the Justice League. No sooner is she appraised of the situation than she is off to investigate the disappearance of numerous villages around the globe. This gives a chance for a short (and possibly out-of-place) fight scene, but the character of Wonder Woman is handled well throughout, as her true nature is shown versus the other characters. She may be the Goddess of War, but as the Futures End series demonstrated, she is probably better suited to be the Goddess of Peace. Seemingly the creative team didn’t want to thrust the character back into the DC Universe entirely, and so by the end of the issue she is back to Themyscira for a problem now rooted back into those of the mythology from which she is born.

Overall the issue does what it needs to have done. Wonder Woman is thrown back into the main DC Universe with careful intention, and yet the ties to her stories so far in the new 52 are not simply forgotten. Much was made about David Finch’s comment about the character and feminism, but those were apparently taken out of context, and really he does a great job drawing female characters (though I might point out that his male characters tend to be a bit boxy). Focusing on the feminine is not a bad thing for this book, as long as it is not exploitative, and with one issue into this new direction, the creative team seems to at least be on the right track.

Story: Meredith Finch Art: David Finch
    Story: 9 Art: 9 Overall: 9 Recommendation: Buy
    Oh god, I could rip this review apart but I have no time
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Mighty Member

Btw, the water thing in the issue. Gives life, takes life. Rain, shower and eh, aquaman. I think it's cool that Meridith set out to keep the duality of stuff-theme from the last run. I also liked the amazons discussing the men-issue. Makes for some interesting intrigue.

Other than that. Like and let like. I didn't fancy Azz and Chiang's Wonder Woman first either, but it grew on me. And then beyond me, how I didn't realize it from the start how good the book was. If the new run turns out not being very good, then it doesn't -bother me much. I'll have Azz & Chiang's run, the IDW strip collection and Grant Morrison's WW book. Perhaps also the Perez omnibus.
    Last edited by borntohula; 11-19-2014 at 03:45 PM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    That people who were big supports of the previous run didn't like it is a good sign to me, because that means it must be distancing itself from it.

How far removed is it from the previous? Does it remove Zola and the supporting cast it had, does it completely start over fresh with no traces of what came before?

Anyone have a screenshot of the eskimo kiss? Sounds cute.
    As someone who has yet to read the previous 35 issues, I found this be a great issue and a good jumping on point.

Fantastic Member

oH man. I like just about anything, but this was just terrible. Contrived fight. terrible dialogue. Just awful. May this be a short run.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gbshabo View Post
    oH man. I like just about anything, but this was just terrible. Contrived fight. terrible dialogue. Just awful. May this be a short run.
    It will be, don't worry. David Finch can't stay on books with a monthly schedule and everything makes me think that it is just a temporary fill-in before Convergence. We can simply ignore it.