Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its pretty inaccurate, in reality. Funny, but overall untrue looking at the totality of the run thus far. The only thing clearly featured more heavily thus far is that they've dipped far more into Superman's rogues than Wonder Woman's. And that can probably be attributed to an overall lack of attention of Wonder Woman's rogue's gallery across the board for years now (which needs to be addressed, here and in her own title). That's it though; in terms of the individual characters themselves, its been quite balanced, outside the Annual and SM/WW's final Doomed chapter, two issues that are exceptions and unacceptably short on Diana.
    There is a difference between "screen time" and who the story is about. Thus far the series feels more like a SM title guest starring WW. Okay, ate not entirely fair, the pre-Doomed issues were more balanced, but once Doomed hit, the title no longer felt like a book "Co-Starring" WW to me. Sure she was in it, but it was all about SM and because of all the cross over I felt like Lois and Lana got nearly as much play in the overall story as Diana. I can see that Tomasi is trying to make the title more balanced in this respect, but in my opinion he failed at characterization in a pretty spectacular way. They both come across as the worst kind of characature of themselves. Clark as the boyscout and Diana as the entightled Princess ... No nuance to either of them thus far.

Again, outside the source mythos of the threat, which is undeniably all Superman, I felt the stories were just as much about Diana than Superman. Outside the two issues I mentioned as exceptions. Even the early Doomed issues I felt had a fine focus and story progression for Diana as a character. I'm sure quite a few here will disagree with me on that but we'll just have to agree to disagree because my mind won't be changed there anymore than anyone else's will.

As far as the actual topic, this issue, I would agree there's little nuance there in the characterization. That was my biggest criticism of the issue as well. At least in regards to Diana though I have confidence things will get better, because I've read a good Diana by Tomasi already recently. So I know he can do it. I think he just went overboard highlighting their contrast.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-24-2014 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Again, outside the source mythos of the threat, which is undeniably all Superman, I felt the stories were just as much about Diana than Superman. Outside the two issues I mentioned as exceptions. Even the early Doomed issues I felt had a fine focus and story progression for Diana as a character. I'm sure quite a few here will disagree with me on that but we'll just have to agree to disagree because my mind won't be changed there anymore than anyone else's will.

As far as the actual topic, this issue, I would agree there's little nuance there in the characterization. That was my biggest criticism of the issue as well. At least in regards to Diana though I have confidence things will get better, because I've read a good Diana by Tomasi already recently. So I know he can do it. I think he just went overboard highlighting their contrast.
    Agreed on disagreeing then

I hope you are right ... I've not seen a lot from Tomasi that I've liked to be honest and this issue just highlighted that for me.

I understand. You're not the only poster here whom I find has similar tastes to mine but can't really abide Tomasi. For me it depends. He's kinda middle of the road for me.

Liked the art
    Did not like how Diana acted
    But I did like how she was drawn (wet look and all)

BANNED

I really saw very few focus on Diana development as character in all smww series.

there's a total disconnect how tomasi wrote ww in the batman & robin and how he writes her with superman. It's something that i have been seeing a lot on new 52
    Last edited by Blacksun; 11-24-2014 at 02:39 PM.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I finally read this issue and I'm a bit disappointed. This is a significant downgrade from Soule and Daniel's work on the series. Diana was arrogant and more aggressive than I'd like her to be and Mahnke's art was very inconsistent. In some panels, Diana looked powerful and like a force to be reckoned with. In other panels, she had buckteeth and greasy hair(not just during the windstorm). Otherwise, the story was good with the exception of that very ugly Wonderstar character at the end. I'll give the book a few more issues but if things don't improve, I'll be dropping it.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post

Ewww.........on the possibility of this being a male version of Donna Troy.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

Plz tell me i read that wrong a male version of donna troy WHY!! shouldn't one already exist on earth 11.

That's just idle speculation, I wouldn't worry. Sexual orientations they'll flip around but I don't see them changing sex, especially female to male. Not in this day and age.