Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Target View Post
    Diana couldn't have known the extent of his injuries, because she doesn't have x-ray vision like Superman, and see that he was bleeding internally.
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't take x-ray vision for her to know its NOT a good idea to chastise a guy who's bleeding and moaning on the ground begging them to go find his son for being a weak, squishy human thing in the middle of a planetary invasion.

But she would also be more used to those type of visible physical injuries to not being as critical to an Amazon. Hence why she's taking her time instead of being more proactive about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    But she would also be more used to those type of visible physical injuries to not being as critical to an Amazon. Hence why she's taking her time instead of being more proactive about it.
    Okay, then why does she spend so much time acknowledging we're so weak and squishy and then not help the weak, squishy dad begging for his son?

Because she's choosing the wrong time to be musing such things. Its not like she was right to be sitting there making observations. I'm just stating the reason why she didn't realize there was no time to be dilly-dallying.

I really wasn't fond of WW #36, but this was even worse.

When Diana asks what's taking so long, her expression and posture just struck me as nasty. She seemed to scowl her way through the whole issue, complaining about everything while not caring about anyone at all. I miss the Diana who would gladly smile and walk home in the rain. She shows no compassion, no love, no caring for anyone at all, and again, as I said in the preview thread, Tomasi ruined what had once been a playful, flirting scene and turned it into warrior-woman kills things and looks down on the squishy humans as they bleed to death while Superman gets the high ground.

1/5

BANNED

Because she's choosing the wrong time to be musing such things. Its not like she was right to be sitting there making observations. I'm just stating the reason why she didn't realize there was no time to be dilly-dallying.
    people do not choose to musing when there's someone about to die close to them

BANNED

I didn't like this at all. Hated every part of of it, from the harpy like behavior and cheap dress, to the rushed reveal of Wonderstar.

I'm disappointed because I really expected a lot from Tomasi, who can write such great emotional moments as evidenced by his work in BATMAN AND ROBIN. So why in the world did he write both Superman and Wonder Woman in those filler scenes that supposedly occurred off panel in JUSTICE LEAGUE #3 as so antagonistic? I recall that Superman was clearly checking Diana out and he was complimentary to her. With this retcon, evidently Supes was a jerk to Diana just as he was with Green Lantern and Batman? Is this Tomasi's way of showing how these two characters actually disliked each other at first but eventually grew fond of one another as their relationship as colleagues progressed in the first 5 years of the League's existence?

And the rom com tropes didn't work because Diana did not come off as sympathetic while Clark turned into some version of Richard Donner's/Christopher Reeves's bumbling Clark Kent. I hope Tomasi course corrects because Charles Soule laid a great foundation for this relationship notwithstanding DOOMED. I want more of that and not what happened in SMWW #13. Superman and Wonder Woman were almost unrecognizable and that's a damned shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post

When Diana asks what's taking so long, her expression and posture just struck me as nasty. She seemed to scowl her way through the whole issue, complaining about everything while not caring about anyone at all. I miss the Diana who would gladly smile and walk home in the rain. She shows no compassion, no love, no caring for anyone at all, and again, as I said in the preview thread, Tomasi ruined what had once been a playful, flirting scene and turned it into warrior-woman kills things and looks down on the squishy humans as they bleed to death while Superman gets the high ground.

1/5
    I just read it too and i have to agree with everything you said. Tomasi is like some Disney wizard villain that crashes the party and spoils everything. "Oh you were having fun and smiling? Not anymore! Sadness, misery and scowls EVERYWHEEEEERE!" He ruined the B&R book, one of the best and most successful books of the last 10 or 20 years.

Astonishing Member

I liked this issue fine and am as curious as anyone to continue reading. But it's weird how much at the end of it I felt like the single best part of the issue was getting to see Mahnke draw Atomic Skull and a bunch of Major Disaster weather effects.

They're very artisty villains who are kind of lame when they aren't really sharply depicted but make really imposing figures when the art is great. So it was nice to see them by Mahnke.

Tomasi's okay. His Diana is at least more human-sounding and less wooden than Johns. His Superman's pretty solid. I'll keep reading. Wonderstar's identity seems pretty obvious so I'm hoping for a wild swerve that's too out there for me to speculate and guess in advance.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    I'm pretty sure it doesn't take x-ray vision for her to know its NOT a good idea to chastise a guy who's bleeding and moaning on the ground begging them to go find his son for being a weak, squishy human thing in the middle of a planetary invasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrolo2 View Post
    Okay, then why does she spend so much time acknowledging we're so weak and squishy and then not help the weak, squishy dad begging for his son?
    You are using common sense, and whats common sense to you, may not be common sense for someone from a different culture. A culture that has being isolated from the rest of the world since ancient times. The only other culture it may have anything in common with is ancient Greece, and what was common sense in ancient Greece may not be common sense today. For example, the world used to be flat, that was common sense. But now we know better.

Superman, who grew up amongst squishy humans, knows how fragile they are, and therefore uses his powers to protect them. He is thinking like a squishy human. Diana on the other hand grew up amongst Amazons, who from a young age already know how to wield a sword and because they stop aging they are always at peak fighting form and capable of taking care of themselves. She is not going to be thinking of building a wall to protect the Amazons from shrapnel, she is going to be thinking like an Amazon and focus on the enemy. In order for Diana to know better and learn some common sense thats in line with what you think would be common sense, she would need to spend time around squishy humans like yourself. You can't expect her to step off the boat and have the same common sense as the other super heroes who spent their whole lives around squishy humans.
    Last edited by Blind Target; 11-19-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I just read it too and i have to agree with everything you said. Tomasi is like some Disney wizard villain that crashes the party and spoils everything. "Oh you were having fun and smiling? Not anymore! Sadness, misery and scowls EVERYWHEEEEERE!" He ruined the B&R book, one of the best and most successful books of the last 10 or 20 years.
    No he didn't.
    Favorites: Batman, Superman, All-New Wolverine, Deathstroke, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Doom Patrol

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Yeah--for me, her portrayal "now" is worse, in some ways. Even without being new to the world beyond the island, and without a fight against parademons in progress, she seems pretty impatient, arrogant, somewhat cold, and still spoiling for fight. I agree with Javier (on the preview thread) that past of the problem is the art, which I think make her look harsh.

Just pasting this in from the preview thread to say yes, while I thought the preview might be setting up something good, now that I've read the issue, I agree that it's pretty bad writing. Apart from the bad characterization of DIna, the scenes with the supervillains struck me as pretty generic and uninteresting, and most of the dialogue throughout was fairly flat. I'll probably get it next month, but I'm not sure how long I'll stay with it.
    First, I am wondering if I am talking to Silvanus from the anti-matter universe

I agree that her pouting look about having to stand in the rain while two elderly people with no super-powers get a cab was pretty bad characterization. Or maybe its good and her character is just bad.

Yeah Diana, you have super-powers and you're a god and the rain means bupkis to you, but look annoyed that two ordinary human senior citizens get saved from possible pneumonia.

Or better yet, tell them how they will never get stronger if people who don't need a cab to get to where they are going just let them have one.

1/5
    Quoted for truth, and pretty much what I said in the preview.

On the other hand, there is a full page pic of them flying and Diana admiring his body, so that will probably be enough for the shippers to give this at least a B+

And from the Superman forums

"We just dont stand by and let people die"

Wow, I love this Superman. This is what I would have loved from the start of the reboot. A Superman whos in charge and knows what hes doing and IS the team leader instead of some impulsive jerk with one liners. Or beta male angsty superboy wanna-be.

Doug draws a fantastic Superman, best. Always has been one of my favorites since he worked with Morrison.

The passion here and story reminds me of Bronze Age Superman. Where Superman is Superman for the people, yet still has a personal life and his Clark isnt ignored. And theres little blurbs on his personal insights (Such as the type writer). This Wonderstar guy is hilarious in my opinion and seems like an awesomely funny interesting character.

I dont follow Wonder Woman so I can see how some people might be upset. She reminds me of this girlfriend I had who had anger problems, if I wasnt who I was she would be out of control. Takes a real man to handle her.
    Well, that says it all.
    Last edited by brettc1; 11-20-2014 at 12:57 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I agree with you u.u This characterization of Diana was even worse than Johns's in some arcs of JL, the one when she fought against Hal included. At the least there she acted that way because she was concerned about Steve, here instead she comes off like she is a 100% warrior who doesn't care about people and about life..., maybe she just cares about Clark a bit, but doesn't understand him.

Really...Clark talks about what he wants to write and her... if she was herself she would have understood that...she may even have helped him write that article.

More than that, not only she is depicted as a 100% warrior in the beginning... she is also depicted like a weakling in the end (well, in this case both her and Clark were) u.u Come on...

And yeah...I hate how that first scene of their encounter was changed as well.

I am quite tired of seeing a forced contrasts between them making one or the other completely out of character u.u And so far it's Diana who has suffered the most u.u
    Writing them in character should be the top priority...not what it is always sacrified for the story, it seems writers are quite lazy in this regard...u.u There can be many good stories with them in character and together. They are not the same, but they are not even opposites from each other.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Extraordinary Member

The only possible reason is that she is an unfeeling shrew or a complete idiot.

I think a race of people who spend most of their time training for war and battle would be more likely to recognize a life threatening injury, not less.

This scenes is not remotely "in character", and is simply based on some very poor writing choices around what sort of person she is, I'm afraid.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor