Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Project Initiative Cascada View Post
    Hailee Steinfeld is the best option for Jean. She has the looks and talent. Mortez is okay, but she tends to overact. Quvenzhane Wallis better play young Storm!

Though this film better give them so good focus and not focus on the bloody holy four again (Wolverine, Magneto, Xavier, Mystique)

You don't think Famke is hot? She's absolutely gorgeous! She was also one of the few bright spots of the X-Men film series imo.
    I liked Famke's Jean, she's a fantastic actress and I was so sorry she was shunted aside to give Storm more screentime in Last Stand.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I find that interesting, because although Hawkeye spent much of the film as Loki's puppet, he had a much bigger role than the OCs in DoFP.
    That has literally no baring on this and it's just you making an unfounded complaint that Lawrence somehow hijacked the franchise. You're moving the goal post.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    That has literally no baring on this and it's just you making an unfounded complaint that Lawrence somehow hijacked the franchise. You're moving the goal post.
    I. Didn't. Like . DoFP.
    I didn't like it because Singer gave us the Continuing Story of Raven Darkholme Guest Starring Her Lovers instead of DoFP. I know it is a sin on these boards to not like this film, but I have to commit that sin because although I tried desperately to like it I couldn't. And that is why I will not bother with Apocalypse because Singer has turned two classic X stories into a vehicle for characters he personally likes and one who's front and centre just because of the star status of the actress playing her.
    Sorry.

I. Didn't. Like . DoFP.
    I didn't like it because Singer gave us the Continuing Story of Raven Darkholme Guest Starring Her Lovers instead of DoFP. I know it is a sin on these boards to not like this film, but I have to commit that sin because although I tried desperately to like it I couldn't. And that is why I will not bother with Apocalypse because Singer has turned two classic X stories into a vehicle for characters he personally likes and one who's front and centre just because of the star status of the actress playing her.
    Sorry.
    No need to be sorry. You're welcome to your own vies on the movie.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Amazing Member

I. Didn't. Like . DoFP.
    Sorry.
    X3 had devastated the storyline so much that the only real solution to revive the film franchise were either a reboot that ignored the existence of past films or just the time travel trick that was pulled. DoFP was a natural choice in the way they did. I think Singer did a fantastic job with the corner he was painted into. Now, of course, that didn't require Mystique having as a big a role as she did.

But what's the other storyline Singer supposedly ruined. Not Dark Phoenix, right? Singer neither wrote nor directed that movie. I consider that a plus for Singer, because it shows how it went off the rails without him, and he tried to undo damage from that movie. I don't Singer should be blamed for X3 making Dark Phoenix about Wolverine and Storm. I would say that the potential of God Loves, Man Kills was wasted to use some elements in X2, but that doesn't sound like a movie where some actress was inappropriately featured.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by spoon View Post
    X3 had devastated the storyline so much that the only real solution to revive the film franchise were either a reboot that ignored the existence of past films or just the time travel trick that was pulled. DoFP was a natural choice in the way they did. I think Singer did a fantastic job with the corner he was painted into. Now, of course, that didn't require Mystique having as a big a role as she did.

But what's the other storyline Singer supposedly ruined. Not Dark Phoenix, right? Singer neither wrote nor directed that movie. I consider that a plus for Singer, because it shows how it went off the rails without him, and he tried to undo damage from that movie. I don't Singer should be blamed for X3 making Dark Phoenix about Wolverine and Storm. I would say that the potential of God Loves, Man Kills was wasted to use some elements in X2, but that doesn't sound like a movie where some actress was inappropriately featured.
    I'm referring to AoA, because according to all reports it's going to focus on Mystique yet again, this time on her love affairs with Beast and Magneto.

X2 was the best of the lot actually; it's a pity they couldn't have been more faithful to the original, but I suspect they didn't want to offend America's right wing church.
    Last edited by motherofpearl1; 11-23-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Fantastic Member

chloes the only "proven" actor amongst the bunch so she'll more than likely end up being Jean, which really isn't bad at all. Cyclops though... iunnno bout those picks

Amazing Member

I'm referring to AoA, because according to all reports it's going to focus on Mystique yet again, this time on her love affairs with Beast and Magneto.
    Apocalypse is going to be in the movie, but I don't think there's any good reason to think it's going to be an adaptation of Age of Apocalypse. That would be pretty repetitive, coming after Days of Future Past.

I also think Chloe Grace Moretz would be the best choice for Jean of those mentioned. She pretty versatile. I've only seen Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit. She didn't look like Jean or seem like a good fit. But she's an actress, so it's hard to judge her ability to play a different character on just one role.

Mighty Member

X2 was the best of the lot actually; it's a pity they couldn't have been more faithful to the original, but I suspect they didn't want to offend America's right wing church.
    I think if Singer had been more faithful to the original story it would have dated the story terribly and it just wouldn't have meant as much to newer audiences. yes, it would bother people who've read the original and love it-- but I think they made the right call for the film.

"God Loves, Man Klls" was written in 1982! in 2003 the sort of televangelists that presumably inspired the Reverend Stryker were a mere shadow of what they were 20 years prior. I don't think it's a matter of not wishing to offend the right wing church-- this is Bryan Singer we're talking about. I think making Stryker a covert military ops agent was simply the easiest way to explain his personnel, resources, etc.

I think the average film viewer simply couldn't suspend their disbelief that a minister would have the sort of resources and super-powered mooks that Stryker would have in the film. at any rate, I certainly can't! besides, paramilitary organizations systematically killing citizens would surely have gotten the government involved in cracking down on them-- whether they agreed with them or not. troops led by a religious wacko who doesn't feel obliged to adhere to the rule of law set forth by the government just don't survive when confronted by organized military forces or serious government intervention. (at least not in the US in the last 50 years)

on top of that, there were growing popular concerns that lingering cold-war extremists, the military industrial tycoons, and other reactionary influences were running the white house via their proxy George W Bush at the time. I think they made the appropriate decision in updating Stryker to be a relevant villain for the time X2 was released.

having grown up in the 80s, I think Stryker worked in the original story because a lot of people were terrified by the influence of guys like Pat Robertson, Oral Roberts, Jerry Falwall, and Jim & Tammy Baker. these people thrived during the Reagan era in a way that I don't think will be repeated soon. most younger viewers will have no idea who these people are or how they influenced the narrative. but there was a limit to how far this right-wing religious influence could go-- because for all of the fear-mongering Americans saw from the religious right, most of Americans valued their personal liberties and privacy more. a guy like Robertson can run for president but he's never going to win because his actual views were too polarizing and extreme. moreover, his complete lack of respect by the international community is not something that could be ignored.

the military, however, is something that is less dependant on the flow of popular sentiment. it will always be there-- and it's something most civilians have very little knowledge of and lack the power to influence. with religious guys like Stryker people can vote with their dollars and feet at any time. with guys like Stryker being in the military and doing clandestine work-- it's much easier to believe. governments have been witholding information from the public since they first came into existence, for better or worse.

I'm not dissing the "God Loves, Man Kills" story as being bad-- it was very powerful at the time. but it is so firmly rooted in a specific time and place that it would have to be seriously updated if it were going to be adapted into a film 20 years or more after the fact. I think it was easier to make Stryker a military man than it was to try and update all of the religious claptrap that surrounded the original version of the character. it's not like "the Crucible" by Miller where they deliberately masquerade a current event or theme in the past... (McArthyism was replaced by the Salem Witch trials) there the contemporary issue gets addressed in a way that bypasses the timeliness of the themes.

X2 is still the best of the lot IMO. I enjoyed DoFP-- but I think X2 did the best job of adapating the themes from the comics to the silver screen.

I. Didn't. Like . DoFP.
    That's the thing. You dislike it while throwing unfounded claims about how it's somehow Jennifer Lawrence's fault and that she stole the focus when again, Charles and Magneto got way more screen time and focus. Yes she was important and her actions were pivotal, but to say she stole the movie and it was entirely about her just sounds like you don't like the actress or character and are exaggerating things.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    That's the thing. You dislike it while throwing unfounded claims about how it's somehow Jennifer Lawrence's fault and that she stole the focus when again, Charles and Magneto got way more screen time and focus. Yes she was important and her actions were pivotal, but to say she stole the movie and it was entirely about her just sounds like you don't like the actress or character and are exaggerating things.
    I happen to think Lawrence is a terrific actress and I'm a huge fan of the Hunger Games, but Mystique was upgraded from ensemble cast member to only leading lady between First Class and DoFP, and I'm pretty sure it was because of her sudden star status - both Angel and Emma were killed off and we never got a good explanation for Moira's absence.

BANNED

we never got a good explanation for Moira's absence.
    She's on Muire island most likely, just like in the comics.
    Hopefully popping out Proteus so he can appear in one of the upcoming movies.

Mighty Member

I believe Singer once said Proteus was a favourite of his, so he might pop up.

He scared the hell out of me!