Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Superman Wonder Woman #13 Spoilers/Discussion

A new creative team has arrived taking the Superman and Wonder Woman story in a new direction. We get a look back at an event from the past, at yet another interrupted date, and at the crazy shenanigans of Major Disaster and Atomic Skull. So how does Tomasi and Mahnke do?

Story: 7/10
    Hmm… This issue is going to be polarizing in many respects and it all boils down to one character alone: Wonder Woman. But I rather start with the positives and delve with the problems I had with the story after.

For starters, Supes is Supes. And in both before and after segments he is depicted correctly. On one side, the brash and a tad judgmental younger self, and on the other, we see the social crusader. All in line with what the Man of Steel represents. We are also treated to a scene of Superman and Wonder Woman interacting in a casual environment. Seeing them outside their superhero personas. There are some good exchanges here, offering good character development. “Credit my mother” – “I most certainly do” was one of my favorites.

Now for the bad: Wonder Woman’s depiction. While Superman is pretty much unscathed, Diana doesn’t fare as well. She is rough, extremely impatient (much more than usual), and has a selfish streak than I’ve never seen from her before in the new52 (for a much better interpretation of WW look no further than the current pages of Justice League or the recent Finch representation – btw check it out! It’s great!). While this can be forgiven a little in the pointless “Five Years Ago” segment due to her being new to man’s world (though this too is debatable – this is the same woman who had an ice cream with a little girl moments before), as the story progresses she exudes a mean and arrogant vibe that doesn’t quite sit well with me. “Why do you take too long?” “Why use this ancient relic?”(completely OOC dialogue) “Why are you making us wait for a cab?”* While their exchange is sitcom worthy, it’s just plain silly here. She comes across as quite daft. These people can fly or zip to anywhere they want! Being upset because of a cab ride just seems out of place, even if Clark is more of a boy scout than usual. There is one moment in particular that had me cringing, plucked straight out of the Thor movie screenplay: Wonder Woman screams “If someone thinks a hailstorm is going to stop..” only for a big boulder of ice to summarily bring her down (so much for that Amazon training). It just seemed to be played for laughs, at the expense of her character. I’ll go a bit further and say at Superman’s expense as well: they are taken down by two D list villains in such an easy and predictable fashion that it wasn’t funny anymore. It didn’t feel like these were two of the most powerful beings on earth. These were caricatures. The Zod and Faora showdown had a better back and forth without the need for any sassy dialogue either. The third act was an utter disappointment.

Art: 8/10
    I’ll straight up admit that I’m not a fan of Doug Mahnke’s pencils. His Wonder Woman, in particular, is a little too manly for my tastes and he has trouble with illustrating consistent faces (certain expressions look better than others and Clark’s and Bruce’s features are pretty much interchangeable for him). But here, he has done a good job. A superior effort than his work on Trinity War. Though I do miss the better use of body language that Tony Daniel’s pencils commanded before. Mendoza’s inks complement his lines perfectly, without being too overbearing. A good effort and it is nice that the art is receiving the attention this title deserves. Tomeu Morey’s colors are, once again, top notch with very few mistakes.

In conclusion: the new creative direction will get some getting used to. An ok start but could have definitely been better. If I seem harsh on the plot it’s because this is one of my favorite books and quality has been high. Tomasi took his time to get his groove on in the Batman and Robin series, perhaps here he will as well. There are some tonal shifts that he needs to work on. The coldness and cynical vibe work on the Batman side of the DC universe but not here. Let’s hope the inclusion of Wonderstar brings forth better material. Not the best of starts story-wise but intriguing enough to anticipate what’s coming up next month.
    Searching for Samus Aran. Still.

Looking back, it's a little better than when I first read it, but I did have some issues.

It's sort of like "Doomed" in the regard that everything of interest, in this case Wonderstar, gets saved to the end.

I already mentioned that I don't care for how Tomasi is more or less retconning how their first meeting went. The fact that the issue starts out with that flashback, and then doesn't revisit it throughout the issue, leads me to believe it's going to be something that gets touched on either in sprinkles here and there, or sometimes down the line. That, in turn, leads me to believe we're going to get another decompressed story, which also reminds me of "Doomed."

I think there are situations in which you can make Clark look like a doofus, and Diana a bit of a naggy girlfriend, and make it funny, and I absolutely understand why Tomasi would do it, but I just wasn't feeling it. Why they would leave the apartment by flying, but then insist on taking a cab later seems odd.

Anyway, it's not awful, and basically the big draw for me so far is to see if Wonderstar is at all going to be a decent character, so I look forward to #14, but this isn't quite the start I would've hoped for.
    Last edited by DochaDocha; 11-19-2014 at 11:52 AM. Reason: awful typo

BANNED

"We just dont stand by and let people die"

Wow, I love this Superman. This is what I would have loved from the start of the reboot. A Superman whos in charge and knows what hes doing and IS the team leader instead of some impulsive jerk with one liners. Or beta male angsty superboy wanna-be.

Doug draws a fantastic Superman, best. Always has been one of my favorites since he worked with Morrison.

The passion here and story reminds me of Bronze Age Superman. Where Superman is Superman for the people, yet still has a personal life and his Clark isnt ignored. And theres little blurbs on his personal insights (Such as the type writer). This Wonderstar guy is hilarious in my opinion and seems like an awesomely funny interesting character.

I dont follow Wonder Woman so I can see how some people might be upset. She reminds me of this girlfriend I had who had anger problems, if I wasnt who I was she would be out of control. Takes a real man to handle her.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    "We just dont stand by and let people die"

Wow, I love this Superman. This is what I would have loved from the start of the reboot. A Superman whos in charge and knows what hes doing and IS the team leader instead of some impulsive jerk with one liners. Or beta male angsty superboy wanna-be.

Doug draws a fantastic Superman, best. Always has been one of my favorites since he worked with Morrison.

The passion here and story reminds me of Bronze Age Superman. Where Superman is Superman for the people, yet still has a personal life and his Clark isnt ignored. And theres little blurbs on his personal insights (Such as the type writer). This Wonderstar guy is hilarious in my opinion and seems like an awesomely funny interesting character.

I dont follow Wonder Woman so I can see how some people might be upset. She reminds me of this girlfriend I had who had anger problems, if I wasnt who I was she would be out of control. Takes a real man to handle her.
    WW is pretty bad here. DC should let Tomasi write a superman book. "real mand to handle her" yep...

I'm Sorry but what is their to like about THIS Superman again? A he dresses her down in the middle of a Battle, then 5 years later he stands her up for a hour then lets Four taxi's Go while his Date is standing in the Rain?

Lois would have NEVER put up with that kind of treatment.

Also He never shuts up, good god man. I always saw Superman as a person who lets his actions speak for him as Superman and his words on the page speak for him as Clark.

This dude is just insufferable. If this is how people really see Superman i'm starting to understand the Bat-love at DC.

I enjoyed the issue. My only real complaint is that it seemed they were still stuck five years in the past. In the sense that she is rash and he is the farmboy. Which is fine, but it appeared as if neither knows the other's quirks etc...
    Interesting Fact: Cyclops runs the X-Office.

Amazing Member

I really hate the trope writers use often of making the experience heroes look like rookies in a fight against villains to make the new guy look good in comics.

The only good thing I like is the Diana and Clark acting like a couple and getting into situations. Where they are lovey dovey to each other and the next Clark boy scout personality annoys the heck of Diana. Because clark giving away their taxi' cabs rides to other people and it's ruining the mood of their date.
    Last edited by Primemao; 11-19-2014 at 12:16 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    WW is pretty bad here. DC should let Tomasi write a superman book. "real mand to handle her" yep...
    Well hey, I totally get where youre coming from. I've seen my favorite character written the wrong way for a long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokimaru View Post
    I'm Sorry but what is their to like about THIS Superman again? A he dresses her down in the middle of a Battle, then 5 years later he stands her up for a hour then lets Four taxi's Go while his Date is standing in the Rain? Lois would have NEVER put up with that kind of treatment. Also He never shuts up, good god man. I always saw Superman as a person who lets his actions speak for him as Superman and his words on the page speak for him as Clark. This dude is just insufferable. If this is how people really see Superman i'm starting to understand the Bat-love at DC.
    Are you a selfish person? You wouldnt let an old lady take a taxi before you? You ever hold the door open for someone in your life? Its the same thing.

Superman and Wonder Woman can take a little rain. It wont hurt them.

In fact I'm positive because Superman knows Wonder Woman is practically his equal that he doesnt mind them both standing there, she can handle it.
    Its a positive thing.

I'm Sorry but what is their to like about THIS Superman again? A he dresses her down in the middle of a Battle, then 5 years later he stands her up for a hour then lets Four taxi's Go while his Date is standing in the Rain?
    Thank you.

I was started to think I was the only person thinking if anything Wonder Woman was being too dang patient. Who gets dressed to go out then have to sit there for an hour after being told to hold on for five minutes so that you significant other wrap up his/her special project and then only to go out and have four taxis drive pass you, not because of anything you did but because your significant other thinks everyone else time and feelings are more important then yours. There is patients and then there is this!
    "I'm going to score this T-shirt and I am going to wear it because I want to"

Are you a selfish person? You wouldnt let an old lady take a taxi before you? You ever hold the door open for someone in your life? Its the same thing.
    Yeah Once, maybe even twice but Four Times? Hell man I got stuff to do too.

In fact I'm positive because Superman knows Wonder Woman is practically his equal that he doesnt mind them both standing there, she can handle it.
    Its a positive thing.
    HE doesn't mind but SHE looked pretty pissed about it.
    Last edited by Lokimaru; 11-19-2014 at 12:36 PM.

BANNED

The sooner this book gets cancelled, the better. If WW must be thrown under a bus, so be it.

BANNED

Well hey, I totally get where youre coming from. I've seen my favorite character written the wrong way for a long time now.

Superman and Wonder Woman can take a little rain. It wont hurt them.

Its a positive thing.
    both won't catch a FLU and both can fly. let people who need the the more than them is pretty right for me what clark did

Quote Originally Posted by Primemao View Post
    I really hate the trope writers use often of making the experience heroes look like rookies in a fight against villains to make the new guy look good in comics.

The only good thing I like is the Diana and Clark acting like a couple and getting into situations. Where they are lovey dovey to each other and the next Clark boy scout personality annoys the heck of Diana. Because clark giving away their taxi' cabs rides to other people and it's ruining the mood of their date.
    the WW that I know is pretty kind to people and would have no problems doing this.

ww is always threw under the bus just to get a tension with superman, that is too good man
    Last edited by Blacksun; 11-19-2014 at 12:48 PM.

BANNED

Yeah Once, maybe even twice but Four Times? Hell man I got stuff to do too.

HE doesn't mind but SHE looked pretty pissed about it.
    So what? Big deal. Every time I go for a run I always get off the side walk and let the children, parents, and women go by. It happens a number of times. A little few seconds or minutes isnt going to hurt anyone.

Plus its New York, you ever been there? Theres Taxi's everywhere.

Maybe the book will sell well considering how theres a big divide or stir up. Its almost funny.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    both won't catch a FLU and both can fly. let people who need the the more than them is pretty right for me what clark did
    Ditto, the voice of reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Spair View Post
    Thank you.

I was started to think I was the only person thinking if anything Wonder Woman was being too dang patient. Who gets dressed to go out then have to sit there for an hour after being told to hold on for five minutes so that you significant other wrap up his/her special project and then only to go out and have four taxis drive pass you, not because of anything you did but because your significant other thinks everyone else time and feelings are more important then yours. There is patients and then there is this!

If 10 taxis came she probably would be expected to stand there and be sweet and quiet too because you know according to some she's all about compassion. I think that's a bit too much to expect of any woman. While Clark is being thoughtful he was being insensitive as well. But then that is who she decides to date and let it not be said the woman would probably be very happy to fly and leave the taxis for the folks but since she loves Clark Kent she is trying to adapt to HIS world and go take a cab for the sake of appearances. So I think there is that too.

I think maybe Tomasi seems a little stuck in the past but no way do I see Diana as mean for trying to get a cab.

Not only Lois would have never put up with it standing getting drenched after so long..I doubt he'd do it to Lois or even his mother. So because Diana can't get the flu...make her get dressed and stand there. How about he goes give away their tickets too? I am sure there are people who need tickets. There is kind yes but then he needed to decide if he wants to be a hero night or he wants a date night. Because I am sure it never really ends. I am sure if he perked his ears he could have heard people crying for help. Where do you drawn the line? He could have mumbled under his breath after seeing there was no getting a taxi...I am sorry Diana...Maybe we should fly. I look at this a a typical couple personality clash when it comes to making decisions. Nothing to do with Diana being heartless. If anything the art is a let down and for me can't get too much nuance and Diana looks pissed off.

She could be frustrated with him but she could admire what he does in the same vein ...ie my god this is getting annoying but this is why I love him...and if we had art to do that...this would be a great scene.
    Last edited by hellacre; 11-19-2014 at 01:49 PM.