Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

4 Hitman vol 1 ( The Demon*Annual #2,*Batman Chronicles*#4, and*Hitman*#1–33 and Annual #1)

Another one of Dc's "mature" titles. This one by Garth Ennis. Hitman was introduced in Ennis' less popular comic The Demon and quickly got his own ongoing. This title about a superpowered Hitman ran for 60 issues and is considered to be one of Ennis' best runs. This first volume collects Hitman's first 2 appearances in The Demon and Batman Chronicles, the first 33 issues of the ongoing and the first and only annual.

3 JLA by Grant Morrison( JLA #1-41, New Year's Evil: Prometheus,*JLA/Wildcats,*JLA Secret Files*#1, JLA: Classified #1–3, JLA: Earth 2 and #1.000.000)

The top 3 opens with probably one of the most likely titles to get an omnibus soon. In the late 90s Grant Morrison took over the Justice League and it became one of the most popular titles of that time. It is notable that while JLI gained popularity because it used C-listers, the first few issues of JLA feature only the definite A-listers. Later, other characters would join the mix though. As we all know, Morrison's runs are very likely to be omni'd, add that to the fact that this is probably one of his most mainstream and best selling comic and it makes you wonder why Dc hasn't done this yet. This omnibus would in the league of Invisibles and Doom Patrol cause it collects not only all 41 JLA issues by Morrison but also the #1.000.000 issue, the 3 issue mini JLA Classified, the OGN Earth 2, a special, a crossover and a Secret Files issue making it 50 issues big.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

2 Gotham Central (#1-40)

I was hoping this one would show up, though I would never have thought this would be nr 2. Gotham Central is a comic by partners in crime Ed Brubaker and Greg Rucka about the GCPD (Gotham City Police Department) and how they have to deal with super criminals and normal criminals in the streets of Gotham City. It's one the best Batman-without-Batman-book ever published and gives us some great insight on the lives of the normal police men and women in a definitely not normal city. This omnibus would have been the perfect book to publish when Gotham first aired but, sadly, Dc didn't listen. Gotham Central was very self contained so this omnibus would not have any extra issues apart from the 40 issues from the ongoing.

1 Swamp Thing by Alan Moore (#20-64 and Annual #2)

What else could it be? This title doesn't need much explaining. Moore's first, and one of his best works for Dc (for any publisher really). Moore transformed Swamp Thing into a title that would change the comic book world forever. This omni would collect all of his Swamp Thing issues plus his only annual which brings it to 46 issues total. Come on Dc! Publish this already!

So, that was the list. Agree? Disagree?

Ps: Who would have thought Waid's Flash wouldnmake the cut? And it didn't even have half the votes of nr 10.
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

I was expecting nș 1 & 3, 2nd was a surprise!

I'd buy these for shure: Hitman, swamp thing, JLI, JLA by Morrison, Animal Man by Jeff Lemire, Astro city & Question by Denny O'Neil !
    It's just a shame there's no DC collected editions department guy here! hehe

Incredible Member

Thanks for putting the effort in to do all this victorxd1999, FF Volume 3 came out head of a similar poll for Marvel Omnibus and that's actually going to happen so who knows where this could lead.

I'll admit I forgot to vote on this because I'm a terrible person but Astro City and The Question made the cut so I'm happy.

Would of predicted most of that top 10 other than Hitman, and thats more of a "slipped my mind" than "it doesn't deserve a spot", the only one out of that top ten that wouldn't be an immediate pre-order for me would be the JLA omnibus because have the 4 Deluxe volumes.

Is there any chance of an extended 11-20/25 or does it get kind of fuzzy because of low votes? I'd like to see some of the more other series people voted for.

Hello from the gutter Mad Hatter's Avatar

No Flash by Mark Waid? I'm shocked! Didn't vote for it, but people seem to really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by drd View Post
    Is there any chance of an extended 11-20/25 or does it get kind of fuzzy because of low votes? I'd like to see some of the more other series people voted for.
    I would like to see this, too.
    Last edited by Mad Hatter; 12-25-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Wrong thread
    Last edited by Dark-Flux; 12-25-2014 at 03:48 PM.

Fantastic Member

I have all the TPBS of Waid's Flash, but most of these were published when DC was printing the collections on newsprint (which they still sometimes do), so an Omni would be nice.

I would really like to see some collections of Flash by William Messner Loebs who proceeded Waid on Flash and did a great job. Loebs also had memorable runs on Dr. Fate, Wonder Woman and Thor, as well as the creator owned Journey. He is really good writer with a style that should appeal to fans of classic and contemporary comics, and I wish he would get more work. Like Chuck Dixon or Karl Kesel he's one of those writers who used to be everywhere and now seems mostly ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    No Flash by Mark Waid? I'm shocked! Didn't vote for it, but people seem to really like it.

I would like to see this, too.
    I can do a top 15 but it indeed gets a bit fuzzy after that. I'll look up my counting note tonight but I probably won't find another wi-fi spot till tomorrow.

Well, I didn't vote, I don't know comics that good, but Swamp Thing is obvious one. Just recently I had a chance to grab vol 5 on ebay for 30 quid. And yes, I thought that was a steal, some of those volumes are not even available and when they do, they cost 60 quid.I reallyyyy liked Gotham Central, read it all this year but I think it deserves absolute threatment not just omnibus. Same with ST. With my luck I would be able to collect all volumes and seconds after they'll announce omni.

A great Top 10 list and I'd certainly buy almost all of them! Kind of surprised that a Morrison Batman wasn't in the Top 10.

I should note, however, that the Alan Moore Swamp Thing omnibus would not be complete without DC Comics Presents # 85 (a ST and Super Man team-up) written by Alan Moore.

Fantastic Member

wow, wouldn't have expected that NONE of my picks make the cut...

those were mine:

Shade, the Changing Man Omnibus Vol 1 (ca 35 Issues)
    Shade, the Changing Man Omnibus Vol 2 (ca 35 Issues)
    Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello Omnibus
    Wildcats by Joe Casey Omnibus
    Sandman Mystery Theatre Omnibus Vol 1
    Sandman Mystery Theatre Omnibus Vol 2
    Human Target by Peter Milligan (slim 25 iss Omnibus?)
    Grant Morrison's Batman - are those 2 or 3 Ominibi?

swamp thing i would very much prefer to be ohcs or even absolutes. same for lemire's animal man (pretty sure to be one of the next new52s to get the ohc treatment, together with wonder woman). but the question and hitman are very good and surprising choices. quite interesting poll!

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by krylox View Post
    wow, wouldn't have expected that NONE of my picks make the cut...

those were mine:

Shade, the Changing Man Omnibus Vol 1 (ca 35 Issues)
    Shade, the Changing Man Omnibus Vol 2 (ca 35 Issues)
    Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello Omnibus
    Wildcats by Joe Casey Omnibus
    Sandman Mystery Theatre Omnibus Vol 1
    Sandman Mystery Theatre Omnibus Vol 2
    Human Target by Peter Milligan (slim 25 iss Omnibus?)
    Grant Morrison's Batman - are those 2 or 3 Ominibi?

swamp thing i would very much prefer to be ohcs or even absolutes. same for lemire's animal man (pretty sure to be one of the next new52s to get the ohc treatment, together with wonder woman). but the question and hitman are very good and surprising choices. quite interesting poll!
    Half of our lists match!

My vote looked like this.

1) Sandman Mystery Theatre Omnibus 1 [Issues #1-#36]
    2) Sandman Mystery Theatre Omnibus 2 [Issues #37-#70 + Sandman Midnight Theatre]
    3) Astro City Omnibus 1 [v1 #1-#6 + v2 #1-#22]
    4) Astro City Omnibus 2 [v2 Local Heroes #1-#5, Supersonic, Dark Age v1,v2,v3,v4 (16 issues), Samarita, Astra (#1,#2), Silver Agent (#1,#2), Beautie]
    5) Gotham Central [Issues #1-#40]
    6) Shade the Changing Man Omnibus 1 (Milligan) [#1-#32]
    7) Shade the Changing Man Omnibus 2 (Milligan) [#33-#70]
    8) Human Target (Milligan) [Mini-series (4 issues) + #1-#21 + Final Cut]
    9) The Spirit (Cooke+others) [The Spirit/Batman + #1-#32]
    10) Wonder Woman (Rucka) [Hiketeia + #195-#226]

Looking at this list makes me wonder what the hell DC is doing with their omniboo. A lot of these should have been out already!
    None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me..

Here are votes 11-20 (after that it gets just way too fuzzy)
    Sandman Mystery Theatre vol 1
    Shade the Changing Man vol 1
    Wildcats by Joe Casey (I've had votes for separate omni's and one huge omni collecting all issues from vol 2 and vol 3 (so at least 52 issues), so you can see this one as either way)
    Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello
    Sandman Mystery Theatre vol 2
    Astro City vol 2
    Shade the Changing Man vol 2
    Suicide Squad by John Ostrander Vol 1
    Aquaman by Geoff Johns
    Swamp Thing New 52
    Spectre by John Ostrander vol 1

I'm kinda sad I was the only one who voted for a Secret Six omnibus

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by whatsinaname View Post
    Half of our lists match!

My vote looked like this.

1) Sandman Mystery Theatre Omnibus 1 [Issues #1-#36]
    2) Sandman Mystery Theatre Omnibus 2 [Issues #37-#70 + Sandman Midnight Theatre]
    3) Astro City Omnibus 1 [v1 #1-#6 + v2 #1-#22]
    4) Astro City Omnibus 2 [v2 Local Heroes #1-#5, Supersonic, Dark Age v1,v2,v3,v4 (16 issues), Samarita, Astra (#1,#2), Silver Agent (#1,#2), Beautie]
    5) Gotham Central [Issues #1-#40]
    6) Shade the Changing Man Omnibus 1 (Milligan) [#1-#32]
    7) Shade the Changing Man Omnibus 2 (Milligan) [#33-#70]
    8) Human Target (Milligan) [Mini-series (4 issues) + #1-#21 + Final Cut]
    9) The Spirit (Cooke+others) [The Spirit/Batman + #1-#32]
    10) Wonder Woman (Rucka) [Hiketeia + #195-#226]
    yeah. it's in the teens where we see some of our darlings... which most probably means we won't never seem them printed
    this is really sad especially for shade and smt, since they are some of the most high quality series never to have been properly collected.