Default Unique/Outside the box take on Man of Steel.

http://vimeo.com/109950825

I haven't seen this posted anywhere, but it talks about the underlying meanings within Man of Steel. At the very least it was interesting.

Chronic MasterDebater The Beast's Avatar

Wow, that was very insightful, thanks for sharing.

I doubt there will be much discussion about it, however, other than denials and dismissals.

This vocal minority that permeates most comic book forums clamours for a character who can wonderfully overcomes obstacles through empty plot contrivances and adheres to moral absolutes that are completely inapplicable to anyone living outside of a fictional world that grants them super powers and plot devices to overcome adversity. Snyder's interpretation is largely anathema to most "true fans", despite being based on established interpretations of Superman in his past at one point or another.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

very illuminating. I'm not sure I buy all of it,but it makes one think. There is a lot of obvious and not so obvious symbolism there to be found.

My opinion on MOS remains that it is an enjoyable, if flawed, take on the character, and is just as valid as any other interpretation in spite of the shouting down from a very vocal minority of fandom. It was the kick in the pants the character needed to break the franchise out of the malaise that crept in with Superman III.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I debated commenting on this video (thank goodness it was a video btw) but eventually I caved.

I think this was a very well thought out and well put together look at the movie by a very passionate and intelligent person. The video hold in it ideas and themes that, while relatively radical, are not at all bad. Fiction and art in general lives off interpretation of the people viewing it. It's the idea that we as people--as life give all the happenings around us meaning. This break down shows us that where some like myself see flaw and disorder others see greatness or a "masterpiece" as our narrator put it. I can't be mad at that one bit. It only helped that the narrator put it in such an intelligent and imaginative format. I can only respect this.

But I have to say that I think the narrator of this video is far more thoughtful and insightful than the actual makers of the film Man of Steel. Like I'm not sure Snyder and Goyer were thinking as far into the analogy of the chaos of birth and the impregnation of the Earth (aka mother Gaia) by the star god Krypton. It's a very heavy and imaginative interpretation of the myth that I don't think I've see before. I feel like if innovative and artistic leaps were made my the writers and directors that they would own up to it in some way shape or form.

I feel like if Snyder would have just came out and said a few words of how this was the story of Superman being born in much the same way a child is born from a mother. It's loud, messy, and it hurts the mother more than she's ever known, but in the end something beautiful is made. The mother can now say it was all worth it. If Snyder had even said a faction of this in defense of the reasoning behind the death and destruction other than "life sucks and sometimes people die" then I'm sure he'd at the VERY least have more respect in his film making. But as it stands he's being joked about as being no better than Michael "that could use an explosion" Bay.

I think if this were in fact the intentions of the crew then the most they would come up being called overly pretentious. But no Snyder and co focused on the surface area ideas behind the movie. "He kills Zod so he can make is no killing rule", "two Kryptonians fighting would have a lot of explosions", and my favorite "this is Superman's 'Sophie's choice'".

But I've got to hand it to this guy and partly to Snyder. This video breaks down the movie using pre renaissance religious symbolism in art. Writers and artist in nearly every form of art use this more overt style in their art. Underground rappers (Table Kweli), mainstream rappers (Kanye West), and comic book writers and artist (Grant Morrison, Frank Quitely) all use this in some way or another at different intensities. So it's not unheard off by any means.

But again I'm hard pressed to think that this was built in. So my opinion of the film remains unchanged. This was still however a very interesting look at the movie.

Incredible Member

I stopped dismissing "heavy" interpretatios of movies when I discovered Noah was actually a stealth-gnostic movie.

I thought the craziest thing about this video was how the scenes matched up almost perfectly. You'd think that would have to be planned out.

The Punisher's Therapist TheVisualiza's Avatar

I'll remember to watch this, dont have the time atm but i'll certainly see it.

Watched it... Mind officially blown