Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default New Suicide Squad needs a new Writer and Artist FAST

I love the Suicide Squad. I have nearly every issue from every run so far and was quite disappointed at the New 52 run being ended and then restarted a month later under the new New name.

I have bought every normal and variant cover so far (1-2-3-FE) and have Issue 4 as well.

This current writer is bad to terrible so far, his entire first storyline went absolutely nowhere and seems to have ended with zero point or followthrough, as the teaser for next issue already states that they're going to be on a new mission in China, without any resolution to the Russian storyline. There were a few things that there might have been potential for, but the fact that this writer introduces 2 new members, who aren't real members even, when they don't have nanobombs in them unlike the others, and they're just on the mission for their personal reasons, already negates a lot of the point of the Suicide Squad itself. This has already opened up the entire premise that you can just shove ANY character, superhero or villain, into the team at any point, for whatever reasons they want. There's no grounding of who can be the next member in the squad and how. And then, these 2 new members, already don't do anything for the mission, as one betrays them right off the bat, and the other doesn't do anything of value at all. Joker's Daughter did not have a single thing of value.

And then comes the art. It started off well, with Jeremy Roberts doing the art, but then it took a complete nose dive with this Rob Hunter guy, who seems he cannot draw if his entire family tree's lives depended on it. It's page upon page of atrocious anatomy, awkward angles, cheap corner cuts, nonsensical poses and dire, genderless beasts instead of people. He did some of the pages instead of Roberts in Issue 3 and it's all him in Issue 4 and as I can see in solicitations, he's set to take a huge dump on the series all the way to 7 now.

I remember in the first New 52 run, they had a huge plethora of artists for the run, spanning over 12 different artists for the 30 issues. I would like that to happen and have wild inconsistencies issue to issue instead of knowing it's going to be the same garbage every time.

It's a really bittersweet experience seeing that the series is doing very well in sales, but this is the single worst iteration of the Suicide Squad by far.

It's what happens when you take the original Suicide Squad concept of truly expendable villains and instead of doing that, you make it a generic villain team-up book where we know all the characters are untouchable.

Suicide Squad has suffered creatively since the end of Kot's very short run on the series last year.

ps. I like that they are going to be using the Daniel West iteration of the Reverse Flash soon but the book has been so terrible that I still won't touch it.

I would just go back and read Secret Six again to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    There's a universe where everything is Luchadores.

I WANT TO GO TO THE UNIVERSE WHERE EVERYTHING IS LUCHADORES.

BANNED

They need to take Harley off the roster, if they want me to read a SS title ever again.

I wonder if making Suicide Squad a staple of the New 52 was a particularly good idea in the first place. The modern incarnation of the Suicide Squad was created in the late 80's, after DC had built up a huge backlog of B-and-C list villains whose stories had run their course or had histories that were so lame that Ostrander could kill them with impunity (usually giving them awesome death scenes in the process). Sure, we eventually realized that certain characters (Waller, Boomerbutt, Deadshot) were probably never going to be killed, but we could never be absolutely positive that Ostrander wasn't going to break our hearts. And besides, there were hundreds of other cannon fodder characters waiting in the wings.

Flash forward to the New 52. Even five years later, it's a fresh universe. We don't have decades of established back stories and continuity weighing down DC's characters any more. And that's a problem. Put bluntly, the New 52 doesn't have a rich pile of "exhausted" characters to throw into the Suicide Squad fire. They're still too busy trying to re-introduce them.

On the other hand, Joker's Daughter has pretty much run her course, yes?

BANNED

1. They don't need to take Harley off the team. She's doing very well in the series and is one of the better parts of both runs she's been in. She sells the series while being a healthy integral part. Her interactions are organic, not forced.

2. Joker's Daughter didn't even have a course to run. Her end came nearly right after her introduction. One of the biggest wastes of additions I have ever seen in any series. She literally showed up, was not a proper member, and got taken out like nothing, without contributing anything. But yes, she's done for, exiting without existing.

3. They were pretty good at getting fresh members into the team in the initial New 52 start, Savant, Voltaic, Yo-Yo and the like. I actually liked the Adam Glass run the most and the Ales Kot one the least which is a real minority being in my position, but I think everyone agrees that the NEW Suicide Squad is atrocious.

Maybe the writing will get better later on when this guy has a foothold, but this artist is absolute trash, and he can't get better, because this is his style. You can go to a writer and tell them write something specific, but you can't tell an artist to do their terrible art better.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

I read the first issue and decided to trade wait it, judging by the lukewarm reception this book is getting I am glad I did.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

BANNED

She's the only reason I am holding back from reading the title. And the reason why I will never go see the movie. Ever since she's been added to the team, I've been disgusted. She should go back to being Joker's sidekick. She's ruining one of my favorite teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by TOXIC View Post
    1. They don't need to take Harley off the team. She's doing very well in the series and is one of the better parts of both runs she's been in. She sells the series while being a healthy integral part. Her interactions are organic, not forced.

2. Joker's Daughter didn't even have a course to run. Her end came nearly right after her introduction. One of the biggest wastes of additions I have ever seen in any series. She literally showed up, was not a proper member, and got taken out like nothing, without contributing anything. But yes, she's done for, exiting without existing.

3. They were pretty good at getting fresh members into the team in the initial New 52 start, Savant, Voltaic, Yo-Yo and the like. I actually liked the Adam Glass run the most and the Ales Kot one the least which is a real minority being in my position, but I think everyone agrees that the NEW Suicide Squad is atrocious.

Maybe the writing will get better later on when this guy has a foothold, but this artist is absolute trash, and he can't get better, because this is his style. You can go to a writer and tell them write something specific, but you can't tell an artist to do their terrible art better.
    Last edited by Starchild; 11-19-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Harley should leave the book as she completely overshadows anything in it to its detriment. It has become mainly a vehicle for her character rather than an interesting team book, but they won't do that because it is selling well with her in it. As long as it sells as well as it is they aren't going to change anything. Also with the movie coming out she is going to be part of the book for a long, long time.

Yeah, including one of the worst characters ever conceived into the initial line up definitely didn't help matters. Is there even one fan of Joker's Daughter out there? I'd be mouth wide open shocked if there is.

I went from having casual interest in the last series to no interest at all with this one. Out of all the DC titles this is probably in my least interested list now. This thread is the most interesting thing about it since relaunch imo. I think it needs a new everything.
    Last edited by SXVA; 11-19-2014 at 04:47 PM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

You would think Suicide Squad was the right place to put New 52 villains that people don't like, so they can purposefully and permanently kill them off one-by-one.

In that case, it completely makes sense why Joker's Daughter is on the roster. It's unfortunate that the creative team doesn't have the guts to actually do something drastic like properly kill off such "characters".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    There's a universe where everything is Luchadores.

I WANT TO GO TO THE UNIVERSE WHERE EVERYTHING IS LUCHADORES.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    You would think Suicide Squad was the right place to put New 52 villains that people don't like, so they can purposefully and permanently kill them off one-by-one.

In that case, it completely makes sense why Joker's Daughter is on the roster. It's unfortunate that the creative team doesn't have the guts to actually do something drastic like properly kill off such "characters".
    If they would actually stay dead for good that would be an awesome concept.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Harley should leave the book as she completely overshadows anything in it to its detriment. It has become mainly a vehicle for her character rather than an interesting team book, but they won't do that because it is selling well with her in it. As long as it sells as well as it is they aren't going to change anything. Also with the movie coming out she is going to be part of the book for a long, long time.
    And as a Suicide Squad fan, that makes me sad.

I think Deathstroke and Joker's daughter should leave before Harley Quinn. Harley and Deadshot have become the unofficial staples of the title for the new 52. I think Captain Boomerang and King shark were in there too but that didn't happen as they got dropped.
    The best thing to happen to the book was ales kot's short run but sadly we are back to someone else undermining waller's work and the team getting members who are just there to be a hindrance rather than a conscripted criminal.

BANNED

People who are calling for Harley's head aren't really reading the series. Deadshot and Amanda Waller are just as big parts of the comic as Harley is, she's not overshadowing -everyone-. Of course she's going to have a bigger part to play than Savant or El fricking Diablo. Yes, they've had Harley Quinn themed stories in there, but of course you're going to have that when she's the most robust and backstoried character on the team.

And I actually liked Joker's Daughter. I have never heard of her before, but she seems like an interesting character and they started off doing a good copycat thing with Harley in New SS, but it went nowhere in like 5 pages flat before she just became irrelevant to everything around her, like she became a void in the comic. I'd like to have seen more of her besides being used for the one joke they figured for her and dropping her.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I think Deathstroke and Joker's daughter should leave before Harley Quinn. Harley and Deadshot have become the unofficial staples of the title for the new 52. I think Captain Boomerang and King shark were in there too but that didn't happen as they got dropped.
    Deathstroke already left in the first issue when he betrayed the team, and Joker's Daughter is out as well.

Boomerang will be in the squad from Issue 5 on according to the covers, as will King Shark in Issue 7.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjak View Post
    They need to take Harley off the roster, if they want me to read a SS title ever again.
    then the book woulnd not sell, and proably been cancelled by isssue 8 like the first deathstroke was.
    Their also would not be a movie in development without her

She's not going anywhere, but the core team needs to be her deadshot and boomerang, plus 3 other expendable members