0 0%
  • THIEF OF THIEVES #25

1 3.23%
  • WITCHBLADE #179

0 0%
  • ZERO #12

7 22.58%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I went with Invincible. It is just consistently awesome and I love the characters. I'm kinda bummed by what people are saying about Intersect...
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorktron View Post
    I'm kinda bummed by what people are saying about Intersect...
    Read the preview of #1 and imagine another 15 pages like that, that's basically what you get. And if anything it gets more confusing as it goes on. I don't mind challenging and experimental art but it went way off the deep end there. It felt more like you were reading someone's dream than any kind of coherent story, and I mean that in a very bad way. My entire response to the comic was "WTF."
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

I'm certain the dream aspect was intentional. Not that it made for an interesting first issue, or that the mystery wasn't too much mystery, but I do believe it was all intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'm certain the dream aspect was intentional. Not that it made for an interesting first issue, or that the mystery wasn't too much mystery, but I do believe it was all intentional.
    Oh I definitely think it was intentional, I just strongly disliked it.

I did read the preview before buying so I somewhat have myself to blame.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Really slow as hell week for me with the Indie Books. Heck, didn't review much either from the Indies as well. Best to worse:

Protectors, Inc. #10
    Revival #25 (didn't review)
    Goners #2 (I did review this, but the review isn't up. It was a 7 out of 10)

Slow week... I did review some manga that was released this week though so I guess that would be Indie(?).
    Terra Formars Vol. 2 & 3
    Resident Evil: The Marahawa Desire Vol. 1

I dunno, maybe next week will be better.

Really slow week for me this week just 4 books, only 3 qualify here :-

Zero 4/5 (interesting end to the second arc & some great art by Adam Gorham this time)

Deadly Class 3.5/5 (filler, good filler but filler all the same)

Intersect 2.5/5 ( Incomprehensible first issue, I'll stick around for a while but the story needs to improve. The art isn't enough to keep me buying this book unlike Riley Rossmo's art on the similarly incomprehensible Drumhellar)

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    Oh I definitely think it was intentional, I just strongly disliked it.

I did read the preview before buying so I somewhat have myself to blame.
    Sorry, yeah, I guess I just imagine he's going somewhere specific with that. Hopefully.

Spectacular Member

Like, I'm a fan of more challenging narratives (Morrison, Hickman, etc), but Intersect was just on a whole nother level of incoherence. And while I liked the art, it doesn't help the confusing nature of the story at all. I'm not going to tell you not to buy it, as it could be your thing, but I'd definitely skip it if you're unsure, and definitely read the preview first.

No Image floppies for me this week, so can't vote. So I'll take this time to pimp some indie titles I picked up this week, would've been a SUPER light week for me had I not picked up Lazarus and the Walking Dead omnibus vol 5.

Princess Ugg #5 (Boom) 10/10
    Superb! Probably my favorite issue so far in this series and I LOVED every ish. Ulga and the other princesses hits the bars to have a girls night out on the town and the laughs ensue. This issue Ulga and Julifer's relationship hits a new snag and the princesses get attacked by bandits on their way to meet the queen. Only problem for the bandits is, Ulga isn't your average princess . Ulga is adjusting to her new life while there may be trouble brewing back home that needs her. This issue was just so fun and charming. Ulga's naivete in this series reminds of the charming characters in titles like Bone whom I just love so much. Highly recommended if you just want to read something fun.

Winterworld #4 (IDW) 9/10

The first arc El Nina comes to a conclusion as Scully is back to invade the sanctuary to rescue Wynn from her captors. The promise of paradise was a lie and now Scully and Wynn are off on their way to new adventures in the frozen apocalypse. But first they must find the mysterious woman who stole their truck. I really love this series and it looks like we'll be seeing this on television very soon. Sad to se Butch Guice leaving this series as the art is just magnificent. Saw some of the preview pages from the upcoming fill in artists and it appears the series will maintain its stellar production values. Good stuff.
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 11-21-2014 at 01:56 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Glad to hear that about Princess Ugg! Have been saving it for the weekend. but--

Thank you, and everybody else, for recommending The Kitchen last week. Got a copy, was surprised (by now, always a good thing when a comic can surprise me) by the storyline, and found the characters pretty much believable for a first issue introduction, if not terrifically deep (again, first issue), but then not every comic can be Alex + Ada. So yep, adding it to my somehow always burgeoning pull list.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Those last few panels in Zero were powerful man.

The paradigm shift when finding out who you really killed and feeling all your emancipation burn up into regret.

Great comic.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Only Deadly Class for me this week, so that gets my vote. The build up to the showdown between Marcus and Chester is certainly getting the job done.
    Yup. Me too. Great stuff though.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by matt levin View Post
    Glad to hear that about Princess Ugg! Have been saving it for the weekend. but--

Thank you, and everybody else, for recommending The Kitchen last week. Got a copy, was surprised (by now, always a good thing when a comic can surprise me) by the storyline, and found the characters pretty much believable for a first issue introduction, if not terrifically deep (again, first issue), but then not every comic can be Alex + Ada. So yep, adding it to my somehow always burgeoning pull list.
    Glad to hear you're reading Princess Ugg! I've become such a big fan of Ted Naifeh, there's a certain charm in his work that I'm not finding in most comics today. After the first issue of Princess Ugg, I knew it was for me. Had to seek out Courtney Crumrin afterwards.
    The Kitchen is excellent, first heard about it when InformationGeek was reviewing it. I picked it up because I so thoroughly enjoyed Stray Bullets that a new gritty crime drama caught my attention. Loving it so far. I have to thank you for getting me into Stray Bullets, I'm 100% positive that this would've not been a book that I would've picked up on my own. Have never heard of it, the art was simplistic and was black and white. I was never really into crime fiction, I'm much more of a fantasy buff. I'm so glad I took a chance based on your recommendation, I'm quite sure right now Stray Bullets is the very best comic I have ever read.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Well the voting has turned out to be something of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    Well the voting has turned out to be something of interest.
    I think it's been interesting for the last few weeks. Looks like we have some new readers giving some titles a try.