Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

Default Magneto #12. Review, spoilers.

You can roughly divide this comic into three thirds, themed by colour.

The first, rendered in golden tones, is essentially the run up to inversion from Magneto's perspective. We see him protect Wanda and Strange while they start to cast their spell. Before they're finished his MGH runs out and he is powerless. Carnage attacks him, and Onslaught drops Dr Strange. Von Doom arrives, and in a new bit of information, Magneto is the one who persuades Wanda to trust him and finish the spell, which as we know goes disastrously wrong. (I'm sure this will bite Erik in the butt long term.)

The second third is a flashback to the very early days of Charles and Erik's friendship. They're on a shopping trip with Gabby Haller, and having their favourite discussion, the whole peaceful coexistence debate. It's a big change in colour to a very washed out grayish tone. They're attacked by Von strucker and assorted goons, who Magneto kills. Xavier is shocked, Erik says his philosophy will get him and his students killed.

The last third is very interesting. It's just post inversion. An astral Xavier appears to Erik, saying he may not be around for very long. They discuss coexistence again. Magneto says he realises how frightened Xavier was all along, but how he was right, it was the only way. He turns, and liberates some of Genosha's mutants; and leaves presumeably to live a heroic life. He doesn't hear the last thing ghostly Xavier says, which is that Magneto was right all along. That mutants need him to be their protector.. There's a last scene where a creepy Nazi Officer type (the one from Erik's memories?) is watching him.

I think Bunn has once again pulled off writing a spin off issue, which is much better than the actual event. This comic has all the heart which the Axis main book has been lacking. The relationship between Erik and Xavier is so central to the X-Men myths, and it's fascinating to see that inversion has flipped Erik over to Charles's side, and the remnant of Charles to Erik's.

The flashback in the middle was an elaboration on this scene here, (even down to the shopping bit.). It's a crucial bit of X-Men history, and it's great to see it referenced.
    image.jpg

I miss Walta's art in this issue. This is okay, but Walta's quiet but deft touch with emotion, and clarity of storytelling would have been better. I like the colours used. Throughout the series the colour scheme has been extremely carefully chosen to enhance the storytelling, and this issue is no different.

Overall, 9/10 from me. A really good comic.
    Last edited by Sea Hound; 11-19-2014 at 11:20 PM.
    "Self has no time for this."

happy to see charles tell magneto that he was wrong all these years.

Ahem. If one of the mods could change Magnet, to Magneto in the title, that would be lovely thanks.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Ahem. If one of the mods could change Magnet, to Magneto in the title, that would be lovely thanks.
    It made me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Hound View Post
    Magnet and Rouge; how often I've posted about them.

The art felt a little clunky in this one but when the story is so good it's pretty easily forgiven. I love this book.

♥♥عابث سولاناس♥♥ Park Slope Pixie's Avatar

Purrrdy colors. Magnadoodle.

I really liked how Bunn explores the relationship between Magneto and Xavier. Enjoyed the take on his inversion as well. One of the best tie-ins to AXIS if not the best one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    Magnet and Rouge; how often I've posted about them.
    Lol. Me too! My spelling autocorrect is fixated on Rouge. She has all kinds of wacky adventures.

I wonder how long Mags's inversion will stick, and if it will affect the book going forwards? And if Chuck comes back in some form as a more ruthless "rule the Sapiens before they kill us all" then with his powers that'll be scary. There's been nothing subtle about Magneto's powers over the years, but a massively powerful telepath who was always a sneaky sort of idealist could cause all sorts of trouble.

Pretty Solid tie in entry. But I'm kinda ready for things to get back on track. I'm looking forward to the next issue, finally get some answers on Briar.

Oh and Polaris is coming to the series soon. See. Wishes do come true. Lol

The art wasn't good, but Bunn story was simply perfect IMO. He really gets Magneto and that's great. It's been a long time since a story could make the art unimportant because of the writing quality.

First Cyclops was right, and now Magneto. Oh what a glorious day.

BANNED

Out of curiosity, what was the color scheme on the last third?

I think it would be kind of neat if Erik becomes sort of the new Xavier in the wake of AXIS, the wise, bald man in charge of the coexistence mission.

BANNED

Definitely one of the better tie-ins.

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    Out of curiosity, what was the color scheme on the last third?

I think it would be kind of neat if Erik becomes sort of the new Xavier in the wake of AXIS, the wise, bald man in charge of the coexistence mission.
    I always watch the colour scheme on this book, because Bunn said in an interview that Jordie Bellaire the amazing regular colourist, has a very specific scheme to fit the themes/emotions in different parts of the book. (I don't remember his precise wording, but that's roughly it.) This issue was done by Lee Loughridge, but it fits with her usual approach.

Anyway, the different parts of the story look like this:

image.jpg

Orangey/golden/reddish tones for the battle sequence, (angry colours?) very washed out cool colours for the distant memories, and brownish sandy colours (I think of it as a Mad Max post apocalyptic style) in the post inversion scenes.

I'm a bit obsessive about colouring.