Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default In Your Face Jam - Nov 19, 2014

Brett White rallies the troops behind Marvel's "Storm" ongoing written by Greg Pak, the best comic you aren't reading.

Full article here.

BANNED

That article said it all. The book totally needs to be supported for every reason mentioned in the article and also because "Storm" is the most interesting title being published right now by Marvel.
    Last edited by rutog98; 11-19-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Yay, an article by Brett White about the Storm ongoing. ^^

I feel like #5 was the best since #1, with only greater things on the horizon for Storm in this comic for future issues.
    Last edited by Starleafgirl; 11-19-2014 at 04:23 PM.
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    That article has said it all. The book totally needs to be supported for every reason mentioned in the article and also because "Storm" is the most interesting title being published right now by Marvel.
    My feelings as well. And thanks for giving me the heads up on the article.

And thank you Brett for the passionate words and support of Storm's book .
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

Yep, and don't forget Red She-Hulk and Journey into Mystery -- Betty and Sif's ongoings that were cancelled before.

There's no point in us asking for and then celebrating the release of female ongoings if we're going to sit silently as sales fall and we don't buy them. I mean, if we can't make Storm succeed, then why should Marvel announce more? She's one of the best known female characters and she even got a brilliant creative team. The comic itself is amazing -- beautiful art, beautiful writing and, of course, being all about Storm.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
    Yep, and don't forget Red She-Hulk and Journey into Mystery -- Betty and Sif's ongoings that were cancelled before.

There's no point in us asking for and then celebrating the release of female ongoings if we're going to sit silently as sales fall and we don't buy them. I mean, if we can't make Storm succeed, then why should Marvel announce more? She's one of the best known female characters and she even got a brilliant creative team. The comic itself is amazing -- beautiful art, beautiful writing and, of course, being all about Storm.
    For each of those though they were also not being represented month in and month out in other titles. That is where a lot of the lower sales aspect is coming from IMO. If they were to cull her from the other books there and there were not so many others to find her story the sales would most likely improve at least to Nightcrawler levels. She is suffering from the Wolverine factor at this moment. I know the argument comes up that many other characters are in multiple books and do well in solo stories or what have you but the X-men traditionally do not.
    I firmly believe that Marvel thought having a strong WOC as a lead would attract other female readers and possibly a more diverse reader pool. While Storm in general has a very specific fan base of probably any character in the X-line and until her status is able to attract a wider pool of individuals the sales will have a harder time growing.
    While pleading to save a title is great, if Marvel actually bends to this and allows a title that is eroding readers every month we may see in the future a number of titles selling low numbers which leads to higher cover prices to cover production, or popular ones losing readers as those are the first to have a price hike. It could also cause them to publish less as they do not want to have to deal with a public creating reasons why they "set a title up to fail". Just because she is a WOC does not mean she should be allowed to take up space on the comic rack, especially if it comes at the cost of a comic which may sell, have a great story and art, and a wider readership.
    She-Hulk, Journey into Mystery, Elektra (shame this was cancelled) at least all had their stories completed which I am sure, when the announcement comes for this title they will have a specific end-point as well. People should just enjoy the time they have with whatever character is in a book and not worry every time the solicitations come out.
    Last edited by Daymare; 11-19-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
    Agreed. And I was surprised at the bold. That book was really good and for a new reader to Lady Sif I thought it was well done.

I hate to be that guy but we hear all this talk about how comics need more diversity more female leads then we get it and the comic doesn't make it a year. At what point do we just admit that comics just know their audience and its middle aged white dudes. Maybe we need to call for better and more diverse team books. Instead of relying on solos to give us our diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by WeaponX View Post
    I hate to be that guy but we hear all this talk about how comics need more diversity more female leads then we get it and the comic doesn't make it a year. At what point do we just admit that comics just know their audience and its middle aged white dudes. Maybe we need to call for better and more diverse team books. Instead of relying on solos to give us our diversity.
    It's a fair point. No matter how it ends I'm appreciative that Marvel is at least making the effort.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Thank YOU!!! Im glad to see Brett making a stand and making a genuine plea to get more people on board. He is absolutely right that we as comic readers have aaked for more diversity but what is the point in all of that if we dont make moves to put our money where our mouth is. Excellent post!! Hope this garners traction and brings new readers to the series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Rider View Post
    It's a fair point. No matter how it ends I'm appreciative that Marvel is at least making the effort.
    Agreed, however, if Spiderwoman can have a run that lasts for about 100 issues, Storm should be able to match that as well. She has more going for her in terms of interesting powers, striking physical appearance, versatile skill set and potential stories. With Storm, one can do stories that involve espionage and politics, mythology of different kinds, standard super hero stories all the way up to cosmic-level threats and stories that crosses not only the cosmos, but other dimensions as well given her powerset adapts to control the natural forces of whatever planet, dimension, reality, space that she's in. Her powers work anywhere in the cosmos. She's easily Marvel's most impressive female character bar none!

BANNED

I blame the non-olive branch extended to the greater Marvel universe. This book is so insular there is no jumping on point for non_X readers. And is literally running on one leg. Perhaps if a Captain Marvel/Deadpool approach were taken the book would have higher numbers.

As is (yes I am purchasing this series) its an X-book with zero tie-ins to main X-titles. And no tie-ins with the greater Marvel universe...I wont get to see Storm and Squirrel girl going nuts in a wacky adventure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    I blame the non-olive branch extended to the greater Marvel universe. This book is so insular there is no jumping on point for non_X readers. And is literally running on one leg. Perhaps if a Captain Marvel/Deadpool approach were taken the book would have higher numbers.

As is (yes I am purchasing this series) its an X-book with zero tie-ins to main X-titles. And no tie-ins with the greater Marvel universe...I wont get to see Storm and Squirrel girl going nuts in a wacky adventure.
    I don't think its because of a lack of tie-ins that the book's sales are now where they should be. I mean, there are other solo titles that are "insular" and only tie into the larger MU stories every now and then and they do well. While I have enjoyed every issue of "Storm" save issue 3, I think Pak should have started with a bigger story than the first 3 self-contained single issue stories. I think he should have started out using a major Marvel villain that we haven't seen Storm fight like Blackheart and crafted a really good story around that. This issue 4-5 story arc was superb. It had super villains in it, when you read issue 4, it instantly left you waiting on the edge of your seat for issue 5 to come out because of the tie into the next issue, etc. I just think Pak should have started bigger and left the single issues he started with as "breather" stories to tell after larger arcs more action-packed arcs. Looking forward to issues 6-8 things are really about to take off in this book. I can't wait!

BANNED

With Storm, one can do stories that involve espionage and politics, mythology of different kinds, standard super hero stories all the way up to cosmic-level threats and stories that crosses not only the cosmos, but other dimensions as well given her powerset adapts to control the natural forces of whatever planet, dimension, reality, space that she's in. Her powers work anywhere in the cosmos. She's easily Marvel's most impressive female character bar none!
    This may be part of what prevents casual readers from trying the book. Depending upon the writer or the explanation she can be the swiss army knife X-man of the line and that can actually lend itself to stories people do not want to read. If someone wanted to research her, giving her a specific grouping of powers and limitations is much better than in one book having her control the universe with a wink while being a conduit for the mystical energy of her ancestral plain while in another she cannot generate fog because there is "no weather here".
    IMO, Claremont did her a disservice making her his go-to "here goes a power boost to solve said issue" as it gets rolled into the forever cannon of the character and people cling onto it. Pak seemed to try and start addressing some of the issues while at the same time feeding some of the wants of the characters fanatics but he is having a difficult time and she is not resonating with many people outside of her ardent fan base. Some want her overpowered and have her create universes when she pops a pimple and the casual fan want someone they can relate to (which I do not believe ANYONE is writing her with this type of voice at the moment).
    For this Storm to make it, she would most likely need to be restarted and have a very specific starting arc.
    The main thing is though is she is not cancelled. Already scheduled until issue 8 so an announcement will not happen until most likely issue 11 but if the decision is made, the decision is ALREADY made. I can be you the creative probably knows an expected end issue as of today. Everyone talking about her being floater is just going to make anyone thinking about picking it up flush the toilet. It is one thing to promote a book but to promote it because it is failing is not going to do it any favors. How many times has the TV Guide actually saved the "best show no one is watching".
    Good luck Storm and I do hope Marvel does not roll the poor response to this series to think there is not a market for a lead female X-man...although it does not seem like there is much of one for the males in the group either.
    Trust me, I know I am known for loathing Storm, and I truly do loathe current Storm, but I also think that it is great for young WOC to have a role model, or any young woman and the female readership in general...this just does not have the stuff for that at the moment IMO...I personally do not think that demographic is reading it or inclined to pick up the book.

Agreed, however, if Spiderwoman can have a run that lasts for about 100 issues, Storm should be able to match that as well. She has more going for her in terms of interesting powers, striking physical appearance, versatile skill set and potential stories. With Storm, one can do stories that involve espionage and politics, mythology of different kinds, standard super hero stories all the way up to cosmic-level threats and stories that crosses not only the cosmos, but other dimensions as well given her powerset adapts to control the natural forces of whatever planet, dimension, reality, space that she's in. Her powers work anywhere in the cosmos. She's easily Marvel's most impressive female character bar none!
    With respect to her powers and varied skills lending to a lot of varied stories I completely agree. She can be street level, standard super hero, a space faring hero,etc. Her multi-layered versatility is one of my favorite aspects of the character. But I do think that books that don't draw in the dominant demographic makes it an uphill battle for success and longevity (at least Not outside of an exceptional hook). Must people outside of that demographic may go see her in a movie but just aren't comicbook readers like us.