Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

New 52 Maxima redesign is pretty stellar. I'll agree about that big red Irish-style hair being missed, but generally hair is like the most "artistic license" aspect of any given character. I mean if Phil Jimenez were to do a variant cover, I bet you'd see it go big again, right? Anyway I'm digging the costume. The gold. The green. The slightly more sci-fi armor look contemporizes it but it's not overdone. It ditches the open-belly and somewhat male-gazey 80s/90s look in favor of something that looks more regal and utilitarian - a little more Star Wars, less Barbarella. But she's still treading that line of super-hero archetype, that brash, bold, tropish bit where alien humanoid female royalty are always wildly confused at the prudish human desire to not flaunt one's body (Starfire, anyone?). That weird grey area where bold feminism and male artist sex fantasies criss-cross. But that's okay for Maxima, I think. Because she's basically Space Red Sonja.

I always liked Maxima but as for reading this title, I probably self-identify with Kara the most - although now that Comet's here, and he's one of my faves, that might change. But I'm hoping this book really makes me into a big Maxima fan.

I'm also glad they "alien color skin-toned" her a little more. No sense confusing her with Mera. Although I'm not sure if it's "alien orangey" skintone akin to a Starfire type, or if they just generally tanned her up to be a darker skinned girl representative because Kara's white as a ghost and it's a very sensible choice. But either way, I dig it. She looks great.
    Last edited by K. Jones; 11-20-2014 at 04:07 PM.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I'm glad that Maxima is back although I haven't read the new Supergirl issue yet. It seems like she has been de-aged to look younger, which is different because I imagine her being closer to Superman's age. Either way I do like her new look and I like the tan skin. I hope she remains as charismatic as she was before and is also written well. I also hope that she has remained a powerhouse.

Also, is the character Comet suppose to be the DCnU 52 Captain Comet? What are his abilities?
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by malachi_munroex View Post
    team shot!
    Comet and Tsavo seem interesting as well and I'm glad to see Superboy showing up. This storyline has me interested and I hope its provides for good reading.

I wonder if with the reboot Maxima might become attracted to Superboy rather than Superman. They both look to be around the same age. Although Maxima could just look young and really be many years old thanks to her alien physiology.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    New 52 Maxima redesign is pretty stellar. I'll agree about that big red Irish-style hair being missed, but generally hair is like the most "artistic license" aspect of any given character. I mean if Phil Jimenez were to do a variant cover, I bet you'd see it go big again, right? Anyway I'm digging the costume. The gold. The green. The slightly more sci-fi armor look contemporizes it but it's not overdone. It ditches the open-belly and somewhat male-gazey 80s/90s look in favor of something that looks more regal and utilitarian - a little more Star Wars, less Barbarella. But she's still treading that line of super-hero archetype, that brash, bold, tropish bit where alien humanoid female royalty are always wildly confused at the prudish human desire to not flaunt one's body (Starfire, anyone?). That weird grey area where bold feminism and male artist sex fantasies criss-cross. But that's okay for Maxima, I think. Because she's basically Space Red Sonja.

I always liked Maxima but as for reading this title, I probably self-identify with Kara the most - although now that Comet's here, and he's one of my faves, that might change. But I'm hoping this book really makes me into a big Maxima fan.

I'm also glad they "alien color skin-toned" her a little more. No sense confusing her with Mera.
    I agree 100% with this post. I was scared stiff when I heard she was being brought back .. I may love Kori but good lord. Less is usually more but less in her case is less, don't even get me started on the thing that's supposed to protect her obviously ever so vulnerable neck/shoulder area.

I'm glad they covered up Maxima, added the thicker cape (unlike the translucent ones she wore before) and I LOVE the new skin tone! I tend to like oddly colored aliens anyway so that's a huge plus in my book. Now, all I want is great characterization balanced with quality feats and DC will officially win my heart.
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    I'm glad that Maxima is back although I haven't read the new Supergirl issue yet. It seems like she has been de-aged to look younger, which is different because I imagine her being closer to Superman's age. Either way I do like her new look and I like the tan skin. I hope she remains as charismatic as she was before and is also written well. I also hope that she has remained a powerhouse.

Also, is the character Comet suppose to be the DCnU 52 Captain Comet? What are his abilities?
    She's only had like a three page appearance this issue. But I don't wanna spoil it for you, but so far she seems to still be a warrior given what she told Kara when they fought. (The teacher pretty much said she's far more powerful than supergirl so It's safe to say she's still a powerhouse). And I'm not sure about comet though, he was only seen floating when Kara reappeared after taking down Maxima.

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Comet and Tsavo seem interesting as well and I'm glad to see Superboy showing up. This storyline has me interested and I hope its provides for good reading.

I wonder if with the reboot Maxima might become attracted to Superboy rather than Superman. They both look to be around the same age. Although Maxima could just look young and really be many years old thanks to her alien physiology.
    Well, I think they could have possibly de-aged her ... because what would be the sense of sending her to school if she's older than most of the people? That alien/woman thing said Maxima was among the top students there so she's probably slightly older or possibly younger than Kara but who knows .. I just want her to kick a**. I also don't want them to kill her off after now having her back after 13 years..
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

Pre 52 Maxima Feats Thread
    Something I've wanted to share just in case someone reading this thread isn't familiar with her from before.
    Last edited by Rosa Snarks; 11-20-2014 at 04:43 PM.
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

team shot!
    Looks like they are fighting the X-men.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Looks like they are fighting the X-men.
    Lmao I was going to say that ... The blue kid reminds me of beast.
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

Spectacular Member

Not really feeling this Maxima. Hair is too short. That skin tone wasn't necessary. Don't really like her cape, the color combination is weak. I like body suit/armor, but the shoulder pads don't look; raised shoulder pads gave her a sense of royalty. Would much prefer knee boots. And don't really like those head bands. Somehow, they've managed to make her kinda meh. It's like they turned her from queen into a regular cosmic being with powers.

Well to be fair, we don't know what position she holds .. she could as well be a princess and not a queen. I like the hair but .... I'm all for that hair she had before the reboot. The head piece I actually like because I've wanted her to wear a different one compared to that mask thing she wore before.
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

Spectacular Member

True, we don't know her position, but I thought if she were royalty she would be doing monarch stuff, not working at a school. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by AriesWarlock View Post
    True, we don't know her position, but I thought if she were royalty she would be doing monarch stuff, not working at a school. We'll see what happens.
    My guess is, her parents are still alive, Maxima is hella powerful but they sent her there so she could train and become a powerful warrior/queen when the time comes for the crown to be passed on to her. ( I mean seriously........she was holding back against supergirl ..)
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

So, now that Maxima is in Supergirl's book, when does supergirl #37 come out?
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡

BANNED

So, now that Maxima is in Supergirl's book, when does supergirl #37 come out?
    A month from a couple days ago lol.

I like that there are beings who are out there that are in a kryptonians power league,and who aren't straight forward evil or monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by stephens2177 View Post
    A month from a couple days ago lol.

I like that there are beings who are out there that are in a kryptonians power league,and who aren't straight forward evil or monsters.
    You and me both. But the fact that Maxima can lower her power evels to Kara's I can't even begin to process how powerful she must be
    Last edited by Rosa Snarks; 11-21-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    CHECKMATE

♡♡♡