Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Default Can we talk the shades of conflict with Bill Cosby for a moment?

The thing about the Bill Cosby scandal is that it has different shades of conflicts. For example on one hand you have sjw saying he's a hypocrite (do to using respectability politics, his supporters are called hypocrites too) and predator, and on the other side you have supporters saying the accusers are liars, and that the black part of the anti-cosby side are just still salty about the pound cake speech he gave. And you also have the latter group mixing in with the unsavory part of the "rape culture" part of the net . You know the ones who think all rape accusers are liars. AND THEN...There's Don Lemon who also uses respectability politics and naturally alot of bill supporters support him despite his recent victim blaming, It's pretty nasty. Me I'm reserving judgment cause I don't know what to believe. But man there's like a **** TON of spite and bitterness involved.
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 11-19-2014 at 11:17 PM.

BANNED

I have to point out first that you poison any argument when you use the pejorative term SJW to introduce it. It just gets things off on the wrong foot to start by labeling one side with an insult.

But yes, it is a mess. I don't know for sure that it's true, but there are a lot of accusations out there going back a long way and Cosby has already settled with at least one woman.

Don Lemon wasn't an idiot for playing identity politics, though, he's an idiot for suggesting a woman should have stopped her rape by biting Bill Cosby's dick and then giving a non-pology when criticized.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

I wasn't really using "sjw" pejoratively, most people I know on the net embraces it. I do too I guess. I don't like respectability politics cause I think it's a deflection. Don has a history of saying dumb **** is all im saying. As for bill, well if he did do these things then he owes EVERYBODY an apology. Btw I meant respectability politics

BANNED

I believe where there's smoke there's fire. I don't believe Janice Dickinson though. The bob haired big lady's claims seem suspicious too, Cosby wasn't an icon yet when she says he assaulted her in 69. She would have been believed had she said anything back then. Also Dickinson says she was auditioning for a part on the Cosby Show in 82, but the pilot debuted in 84.

I don't really care either way though, he burned through all his respect from me when railed against Black youth (like he wasn't a foolish looking minstrel in those Cosby/Poitier flicks, but it was alright for him because he was rich and educated in real life).
    Last edited by Razor Tiara; 11-19-2014 at 11:21 PM.

It's been fun. Toodles. Paradox's Avatar

In 1969, Bill Cosby was a very well known comedian and had been on two fairly popular TV shows, one with his own name in the title that was on at the time. He wasn't "Cosby" yet, but he was already "Bill Cosby, TV star". And I hope you don't think the political tenor of such things were the same then as now. It was much much worse back then, and most women didn't even report assaults because of the crap you would go through.
    Last edited by Paradox; 11-19-2014 at 11:24 PM.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

The Conclave group page on Primus (a work in progress)
    Champions: The Conclave (an updating Facebook Gallery)
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Yeah the situations turned into a bitter proxy war, which is making for some strange bed fellows on the pro Cosby side.

The whole "stonewalling" thing just makes him look guilty as ****, even if he's not. It was really a bad way to handle the whole situation.
    'Dox out.

"It’s cold and it’s mean-spirited and I don’t like it here anymore." - Alan Moore

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    In 1969, Bill Cosby was a very well known comedian and had been on two fairly popular TV shows, one with his own name in the title. He wasn't "Cosby" yet, but he was already "Bill Cosby, TV star". And I hope you don't think the political tenor of such things were the same then as now. It was much much worse back then, and most women didn't even report assaults because of the crap you would go through.
    I'm not buying it. He was the first African-American co-starring in a tv show with equal billing, but the media still would have crucified him for allegedly raping a white woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    The whole "stonewalling" thing just makes him look guilty as ****, even if he's not. It was really a bad way to handle the whole situation.

I agree, he badly needs someone like Olivia Pope and Associates to step in and fix his crisis.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Also keep in mind blacks have always been intensely divided over that rant bill did. So naturally the usual suspects chose sides. Some even blaming the dissenters for spreading the allegations. But it's hard not to look like you have egg on your face when your self righteous idol might be a total monster.

Razor Tiara ignores reality:

I'm not buying it. He was the first African-American co-starring in a tv show with equal billing, but the media still would have crucified him for allegedly raping a white woman.
    Spoken like someone who was not alive in that era. Women were lower on the status totem-pole than black entertainment stars. And the **** women who reported assaults had to go through was the same **** they do now, except they didn't have anyone on their side to fight back. More often than not, the authorities would go out of their way to blame the victim. It was a fearful thing for them to go up against anyone with any power at all.
    Last edited by Paradox; 11-20-2014 at 09:44 AM.
    'Dox out.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    Maybe not. You've got to understand that what the woman would have been through would have been even worse. Cosby could have easily destroyed her by playing on sexist assumptions of the time. A little slut-shaming was all it would have taken.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    Maybe not. You've got to understand that what the woman would have been through would have been even worse. Cosby could have easily destroyed her by playing on sexist assumptions of the time. A little slut-shaming was all it would have taken.

It's 2014 and people are still wondering why all these women allegedly went to his hotel room or allowed him in theirs. I don't think that's an unfair question.

Yeah, you're right, they were totally asking for it.

It doesn't matter why they went to his hotel room, or why they let him into theirs. The allegations are that he sexually assaulted them while they were unconscious. Why aren't you asking why he thought it was acceptable to do that, instead of throwing around this victim blaming bullshit?

These last two posts are exactly the type of thing people are talking about when they bring up rape culture, and if you're saying stuff like that, rather than asking why Bill Cosby thought it was okay to drug women and force himself on them sexually (allegedly), then you are part of the problem.
    Last edited by Spike-X; 11-20-2014 at 02:09 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Yeah, you're right, they were totally asking for it.

It doesn't matter why they went to his hotel room, or why they let him into theirs. The allegations are that he sexually assaulted them while they were unconscious. Why aren't you asking why he thought it was acceptable to do that, instead of throwing around this victim blaming bullshit?

These last two posts are exactly the type of thing people are talking about when they bring up rape culture, and if you're saying stuff like that, rather than asking why Bill Cosby thought it was okay to drug women and force himself on them sexually (allegedly), then you are part of the problem.
    You're talking like you know for a fact he's guilty. All I'm saying is don't put yourself in potentially compromising situations. A little common sense can save you a world of trouble, no matter what sex you are.