Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdragon6 View Post
    Because the college grads move on and don't hang around. Because you know they got theirs. There's also a **** ton of elitism and classism
    Some of those college grads come back too. Some even as Teachers no parades for that. Why hang around to get crapped on?

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Respectability politic is a new catch phrase that devalues honest critique. Questioning moral behavior in and of itself is not a politic. Tho intellectuals are trying to link the two at every opportunity. Similar to Conservatives labeling every minority concern as playing the Race Card.

IMO
    Questioning moral behavior is not respectability politics. Repeatability politics is more cultural than moral. Like critiquing people's fashion sense, or how they choose to name their children. Nobody should be called immoral because of what they wear and how they choose to name their children IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Some of those college grads come back too. Some even as Teachers no parades for that. Why hang around to get crapped on?
    If we're going there this isn't something that is unique to the black community

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdragon6 View Post
    Because the college grads move on and don't hang around. Because you know they got theirs. There's also a **** ton of elitism and classism
    I don't believe that's it.

To quote KRS-ONE, "where I'm from if you're soft you're lost".

Things like being a thug, gangsta, or hustla are seen as pluses in the "hood". Those things are equated with masculinity and blackness. Where as being smart/nerd or thinking about higher education can be seen as being soft and trying to be white.

I was listening to the radio yesterday and they were talking about the 10 most dangerous cities in America. You actually had folks calling in mad that their city wasn't higher on the list or even on the list and they were sounding like they were proud that their city is so bad.
    “Let the King get back on his throne." - Jay Briscoe

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMagnetic View Post

Things like being a thug, gangsta, or hustla are seen as pluses in the "hood". Those things are equated with masculinity and blackness. Where as being smart/nerd or thinking about higher education can be seen as being soft and trying to be white.

I was listening to the radio yesterday and they were talking about the 10 most dangerous cities in America. You actually had folks calling in mad that their city wasn't higher on the list or even on the list and they were sounding like they were proud that their city is so bad.
    I'm saying that the latter leads to the former. If there's no role models than well....also people also look at thugs and gangstas as an idea of power. Something most young black teens don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by spacegoatpurrp View Post
    I dont believe it, why he aint never do nothin with Denise or Vanessa? And the first allegation was in 1969. Back then Bill Cosby would have been buried if America found out he allegedly raped a white woman. Guilty or not.
    Well, Lisa Bonet (Denise) was kicked off the show/left, and the reason given was that she did that Mickey Rourke flick, there's a possibility something went on but who knows
    Brad Pitt for Grifter in a WildCATS movie

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Well, Lisa Bonet (Denise) was kicked off the show/left, and the reason given was that she did that Mickey Rourke flick, there's a possibility something went on but who knows
    I don't think Lisa Bonet fits the profile of the women that we know about. Also, she wanted to shake the image of being a Cosby Kid and went to do that awful film. She bit the hand that fed her so she had to go. It couldn't have been that much bad blood as she came back to the show.
    “Let the King get back on his throne." - Jay Briscoe

So I believe Constand was the first to accuse him of rape out in public and around the time of the settlement that's when 2 more popped up and made accusations for things that happened to them in the 80s.

13 women and only one spoke up, 2 more came out when it looked like one was about to get money (if I'm reading the timeline right).

I don't know, it'd surprise me if all 13 accusations are true.
    It'd surprise me more if they weren't.

And if some of the guys posting on this thread spent less time trying to prove their street cred to each other and more time reading up on why victims of sexual assault are reluctant to come forward, they might learn a goddamn thing or two.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    It'd surprise me more if they weren't.

And if some of the guys posting on this thread spent less time trying to prove their street cred to each other and more time reading up on why victims of sexual assault are reluctant to come forward, they might learn a goddamn thing or two.
    Well they do know that not every allegation declared is true. i think I should throw a goddamn in there. Goddamn. there.

Bill Cosby has denied allegations that he raped supermodel Janice Dickinson in the Eighties

The only story she [Dickinson] gave 12 years ago in her autobiography, as well as her interviews with the media, was that she refused to sleep with Mr Cosby and he blew her off."

He added: "You can confirm with Harper Collins that she never claimed that Mr Cosby raped her, that no attorney representing Bill Cosby tried to kill the story (since there was no such story) and no one tried to prevent anything she wanted to say about Bill Cosby in her book."
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 11-20-2014 at 05:47 PM.

BANNED

I don't think Lisa Bonet fits the profile of the women that we know about. Also, she wanted to shake the image of being a Cosby Kid and went to do that awful film. She bit the hand that fed her so she had to go. It couldn't have been that much bad blood as she came back to the show.
    No Lisa Bonet was fired from "A Different World" because she and Lenny Kravitz became pregnant with Zoe. This was after "Angel Heart" (which was a pretty creepy and underrated movie with Robert De Niro playing Lucifer). They couldn't fit her pregnancy into her story line as a college student. But as soon as she had the baby, she came back to "the Cosby Show" from finding herself in Africa, with a brand new husband and a cute stepdaughter named Olivia. She was hired to be the uber cool, rebellious daughter, "Angel Heart" only gave her more cred, but being knocked up and unmarried was a bridge too far for Cosby.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Respectability politic is a new catch phrase that devalues honest critique. Questioning moral behavior in and of itself is not a politic. Tho intellectuals are trying to link the two at every opportunity. Similar to Conservatives labeling every minority concern as playing the Race Card.

IMO
    See, when I think of respectability politics, I think historically of people getting lynched, and certain black community leaders saying: "Good. He deserved it for being an animal." You know, they point fingers at the alleged dirty majority pulling down the rest of us trying to blend in. It's heinous stuff. It's not even the same when I think of somebody telling kids to pull up their stupid pants because they look stupid.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

BANNED

Please don't perpetuate that in mixed company. Being smart isn't seen as detrimental, being a sell-out is. You don't become a successful drug dealer by being stupid.

BANNED

You guys understand that even if Janice Dickinson is a band-wagon jumping liar, that doesn't mean the other women are lying, right? She wouldn't have a bandwagon to jump on if there wasn't a long standing pattern of such accusations.

Also, there's a time and place to what women should sensibly do to protect themselves from rapists. That time or place is not when responding to specific reports of rape. That reeks of victim-blaming and slut shaming.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Hopkins View Post
    You guys understand that even if Janice Dickinson is a band-wagon jumping liar, that doesn't mean the other women are lying, right? She wouldn't have a bandwagon to jump on if there wasn't a long standing pattern of such accusations.

Also, there's a time and place to what women should sensibly do to protect themselves from rapists. That time or place is not when responding to specific reports of rape. That reeks of victim-blaming and slut shaming.
    Yeah we know that. All we are saying is not every allegation is true. With exhibit A.

And Miss Dickinson makes it harder for those with legitimate claims.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    Please don't perpetuate that in mixed company. Being smart isn't seen as detrimental, being a sell-out is. You don't become a successful drug dealer by being stupid.
    No you get to be a successful drug dealer by being a sell out. Free way Rick wasn't that bright just a sell out in the right place at the right time.