Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Agreed with a bunch of your examples, but not this one. Well, I generally see what you mean, but it was kind of stupid for Bruce to call Clark Kent Conner's father. I'm glad the second season fixed their relationship to brothers.
    I just don't think any Kent would do what they had Clark do to Connor and I would have loved if they explored that. Connor was new born and begging for Clark's guidance and he abandons him to Batman and a robot for months I think. Meanwhile in the very same show, he's wondering if Captain Marvel is an Kryptonian because he's lonely. F*** that noise. I just don't buy it and what's worst, YJ was popular and it turned so many people off from Superman because Superboy is the protagonist and your suppose to relate to him.

In general, Superman appears to be in a no-win holding pattern. It seems like the things that long-time fans seem to like is the sort of thing creators are afraid of. You make Superman good, and the creators see it as "too perfect." Especially in animation, I feel like a lot of personnel were terrified at the idea that Superman might be too good at his job, so a lot of emphasis was made on his flaws, which I think is backwards and unproductive. I liken it to Coke 2; the Coca-Cola company was so obsessed with being like Pepsi instead of catering to what their product did well, they (temporarily) abandoned their formula and tried to be Pepsi, and it was a fiasco. That's how I feel a lot of writers who aren't passionate about Superman approach the character.

Also, I feel like were at a strange juncture in which non-fans seem to come in two major camps: Superman's too good at stuff that he's boring, or Superman's a ***** because despite all his power, he's not more capable than he already is. I think it's a common corporate mindset to ignore the loyal customers and try tooth and nail to win over guys who aren't subscribing to your product. That's why a lot of these projects are always trying to be a different kind of Superman.

That said, I like a lot of variations in the character, though. There's no rule, for me, about how much you have to keep the same, or how much you're allowed to change. Not to be Captain Obvious Tautology, but if I like it, I'll like it, new-ish or rehashed.
    The creators don't see merit in the character so they're catering to people who never liked him to begin with and those same people still go, "Batman is the only good DC character" and don't buy Superman's stuff instead of giving us an honest adaption of the material that's created these long time fans. I think this also has the ugly effect of dissuading people from reading older Superman comics because it validates the opinion that he's too boring, powerful, broken, so here's a new shiny turd most of which aren't worth investing in. Your feelings about adaptions is the same I have towards music but an concept like Superman should have some things about him that are constant or timeless. Some people really do find inspiration from him to do better in their lives but that guy is being phased out of existence. Why is Batman and perhaps the Green Lanterns only allowed to remain consistent? I like new things like I like clean water but I don't read Superman to see him do terrible things or have a bunch of awful things happen to him and him suck and be stupid and cry and crap. That is Marvel's selling point. You can get good stories doing that but I honestly feel like that would work better if people mostly wanted Superman to succeed. Most of these adaptions he's an ******* and a lot of people can't wait for Batman to humiliate him in this "sequel" like they did in TDKR which is why they used an direct quote to hype it.

Incredible Member

Looking forward to this. Loved the other volumes. Excited to see what will happen with The Luthors.

I know you're trying to find out where I hang my cape. YOU WON'T.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

That said, I like a lot of variations in the character, though. There's no rule, for me, about how much you have to keep the same, or how much you're allowed to change. Not to be Captain Obvious Tautology, but if I like it, I'll like it, new-ish or rehashed.
    GREAT post dude. Bravo. I was never married to one way or the highway Superman. As a Supes fan, I'm simply married to the character 'til death do us part. I've read some wonky and boring **** over the years but still would read them in support and there was stuff I loved when I guess I wasn't supposed to love in others fans's eyes that have only one view on Superman but to me, that's what makes me keep going back. As long as there's Superman on the shelf, I'm a happy camper. To me, it's simple. I either like it or I forget about it but either way, the thought of picking anything up Superman is joyful and that will never change.
    Last edited by Tra-EL; 05-17-2014 at 09:49 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jaybay View Post
    See, when I first heard about Earth One I didn't frequent any comic news board, I got my news from watching the local news. Earth One wasn't presented as an alternate universe anything, it was presented as Superman re-imagined gritty, edgier, going forward. I noticed it was on G4TV when that was still a thing too but it was also on legitimate news networks. I don't think that would have been the case if they knew this was suppose to be just an simple elseworlds. Was Kingdom Come news worthy? I mean it might have been, but I got the impression they thought this was legitimately Superman.

And here is my even bigger problem with that. Superman is so different in all forms of media no one knows who this guy is anymore. Synder publicly laughs at the general audience attachment to the Donner films but MOS is nothing but an remake of I and II gritty, mopey, hyper violent edition and he pastes Reeves face on Henry in a scene. There's Injustice where he can't hold onto his values and there's even a line right at the beginning of the game implying all versions of the character leads to this one if these events occur, there's JL: War where he's talk with his fists man everyone else be damned, JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time is classic, YJ he's an dead beat dad, TDKR a gov't pawn, Earth 2 he's an maniac, and Superman vs the Elite that only came out 2 years ago and he was righteous, admirable and powerful even if the story could have been better. This is all incredibly recent, radically different takes on one character. He's so different everywhere now he's generic and with the cancellation of Adventures of Superman and the anticipated arrival of Doom there is no comic on going where Superman is the good guy people invested in this character to get. I don't read Smallville or the Beyond verse, maybe I'm wrong but I don't think this is a good thing as a whole especially considering this got decent exposure but comic books will never be wider exposure than live action film, animated movies and video games. The fact you don't think it's well written either is salt in the wound.
    Basically Superman is all over the place because he is owned and controlled by a corporation that doesn't understand him and doesn't want to understand him.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tra-EL View Post
    GREAT post dude. Bravo. I was never married to one way or the highway Superman. As a Supes fan, I'm simply married to the character 'til death do us part. I've read some wonky and boring **** over the years but still would read them in support and there was stuff I loved when I guess I wasn't supposed to love in others fans's eyes that have only one view on Superman but to me, that's what makes me keep going back. As long as there's Superman on the shelf, I'm a happy camper. To me, it's simple. I either like it or I forget about it but either way, the thought of picking anything up Superman is joyful and that will never change.
    I feel the same way too, I've read only read Volume 1 and I thought it was good for the most part.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    Basically Superman is all over the place because he is owned and controlled by a corporation that doesn't understand him and doesn't want to understand him.
    Oh my god, I just realized that thinking about Superman: Earth One basically turns me into you.

Binker

Default Superman: Earth One, Volume Three - Coming February 10th, 2015

According to amazon.com, which shows titles before the publishers do in their solicits, Superman: Earth One, Volume Three is set to come out next year, which we knew from Didio, onl this time we have a date: February 10th! J. Michael Straczynski will return to write and Ardian Syaf with the art (both confirmed), but the site also oincludes this bit of story info which was expected after the ending to Volume Two:

The follow-up to the NEW YORK TIMES #1 bestselling graphic novels SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE VOL. 1 and 2 is here! Written by J. Michael Straczynski with art by Ardian Syaf (BATGIRL), SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE VOL. 3 follows a young Clark Kent as he continues his journey toward becoming the World's Greatest Super Hero. After defeating villains terrestrial and beyond, Superman faces a threat that he can't simply out-muscle. A threat smarter, more cunning and deadly than he can imagine: the Luthors!
    Obviously, until the day comes, we'll get interviews, more info, even artwork; but as of now, with what we know at this time, what do you guys think?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Holmes View Post
    I just don't understand how JMS did Thor and then gave us these two volumes.
    Lack of editorial oversight.

Fantastic Member AwesomeUsername's Avatar

Nerdist just posted the covers for Supes and Bats Earth One. Although I like Shane Davis, pretty excited that Ardian Syaf is drawing this volume instead.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeUsername View Post
    Nerdist just posted the covers for Supes and Bats Earth One. Although I like Shane Davis, pretty excited that Ardian Syaf is drawing this volume instead.

Lol.

Soooo gritty and badass.

Astonishing Member

The single greatest interpretation of the character I've yet seen. A distillation and modernization of everything S&S intended when they created the character, supercharged with gravitas and meaning even they couldn't have expected, the weight of decades transformed by JMS into mythology.

I'm steeped in anticipation.

BANNED

I will buy it!

Amazing Member

I enjoyed Superman: Earth One, but to each his/her own. I do think that your all missing the point about the Earth One concept...it's about the return of the red trunks.

I liked volume 1, and I just ordered volume 2 a week ago along with Batman: Earth One. I will definitely get this, if I enjoyed the 2nd book.
    Ardian Syaf is an excellent replacement to Shane.

I will wait for this with baited breath. These Earth One books have been a joy to read. They really succeed in telling bold, novel, compelling stories about these characters and I really liked what was done with Superman here. He's not in his 30s. He's not this guy who has spent years knowing what he wants to do or who he wants to be. He's still a kid, finding his place in the world. It hasn't been all about him rescuing Lois Lane or him fighting Lex Luthor. It has been a much more personal journey and I look forward to seeing it continue. I don't know if these books are only going to be trilogies, but whatever the case I hope this book continues to build on the awesome that the first two created.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.