Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Like I said before in the old forum, I've only read Volume 1 and I enjoyed it. It's a different interpretation of the character and I'm okay with that so as a long time Superman fan myself, I don't share Dispenser Of Truth's disdain for the story. And the success of the books proves that Superman can still sell.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I enjoyed Vol. 1 a lot, and Vol. 2 was solid although some of the ideas fell very flat to me *cough*clarksgirlfriendreveal*cough*. I'll look forward to Vol. 3.

I do get some people's utter hatred for this, though. Not because I think it's bad, but because I've tried to read Batman: Earth One a few times and have always put it down as I find it an unmitigated pile of crap. Horses for courses and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by AwesomeUsername View Post
    Nerdist just posted the covers for Supes and Bats Earth One. Although I like Shane Davis, pretty excited that Ardian Syaf is drawing this volume instead.

Whoa. That looks badass. At first I was kinda peeved that Shane Davis wouldn't be on art duties (he's an awesome artist obviously) ... but this looks quite cool indeed ... Syaf's style seems to be (from first impression) a bit of a combination of Jim Lee and Shane Davis (and that's onbviously a great combination to have)

btw I can't help but notice Clark is ripping up his old costume ... I wonder if we'll be getting the jeans and t shirt look or a New 52 type look?
    Last edited by friendly-fire-press; 08-12-2014 at 06:07 PM.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    Whoa. That looks badass. At first I was kinda peeved that Shane Davis wouldn't be on art duties (he's an awesome artist obviously) ... but this looks quite cool indeed ... Syaf's style seems to be (from first impression) a bit of a combination of Jim Lee and Shane Davis (and that's onbviously a great combination to have)

btw I can't help but notice Clark is ripping up his old costume ... I wonder if we'll be getting the jeans and t shirt look or a New 52 type look?
    That or it's the usual "Spider-Man no more" storyline.
    It does look like he took a beating after all.
    Don't think I will buy this, actually. The first one was okay if you look past the million plot holes, but the second one was horrendous.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Auguste Dupin View Post
    That or it's the usual "Spider-Man no more" storyline.
    It does look like he took a beating after all.
    Don't think I will buy this, actually. The first one was okay if you look past the million plot holes, but the second one was horrendous.

True. It could be a "Spiderman No More" type of story ... guess we'll have to wait and see

BTW that's interesting that you hated volume 2 ... I thought it was quite enjoyable ... oh well

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by friendly-fire-press View Post
    True. It could be a "Spiderman No More" type of story ... guess we'll have to wait and see

BTW that's interesting that you hated volume 2 ... I thought it was quite enjoyable ... oh well
    Well, I felt the villain was too one dimensional to be relatable, and too boring to be enjoyable, that the Parasite storyline was basically a series of pointless punchfests, and that the "sister" subplot wasn't nearly developped enough for me to care.
    The plot involving the dictator had a resolution I found .....questionnable, and the ending felt as somewhat naïve (the dictator has been put down, everything's great folks). I'm not against having Superman deal with these type of situations, if anything I felt it should have been the entire subject of the book. Because for a story about Superman saving oppressed people, we haven't seen much of the, well, the oppressed people. Really, just having Superman interract in some way with the rebels would have done wonders to that storyline.
    Everything regarding Lisa Lasalle was by the numbers. But I always have a good laugh at the cat story and its poor attempts at being sad. And I find the part where Lex and his wife proudly proclaim they are called "Lex Square" to be one of the most unintentionnally hilarious moments in comics. I mean, that just sound so stupid.
    And finally, I really find Clark to be a incredibly whinny in this. I mean, come on, what this book is telling us is that he never ever had any kind of friend, that the only living thing he ever cared of was a cat (who of course died), and that he purposely had "C"s everywhere to avoid being bullied. Okay, Clark, first of: why do you even care about being bullied? You're invulnerable. I understand not fighting back , but really, just no sell a few of their punches and they will leave you alone for an easier target.And don't tell me it's to protect your secret, mister "I sent 10 guys flying while trying to get a gig as a football player under my real name".
    Second: Am I the only one who thinks a guy who has the exact same mark in every class to be incredibly suspicious? Like come on, nobody would be physically able to do that. If he wants to be unnoticed, he should have B's, D's, you know plausible marks an actual human being would have.
    I mean, yeah, it was sort of there before, but here, it was up to eleven, and it really made unsufferable after a while. Completely joyless, this guy. I'm not against the angst per say, but there's limits.
    But of course, all that is really just my personnal impressions of the whole thing. if you liked it, good for you. Wish I did myself.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Incredible Member

The solicitation for Superman: Earth One Volume 3 is up

SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE VOL. 3 HC
    Written by J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI
    Art by ARDIAN SYAF and SANDRA HOPE
    Cover by ARDIAN SYAF
    On sale FEBRUARY 4 • 136 pg, FC, $22.99 US
    Who will save Superman? He may be invulnerable – but he’s also alone! In his brief career as a costumed hero, Clark Kent has run a gantlet of the world’s most deadly and monstrous villains. But his most dire threat may come from two powerless humans who happen to be the two smartest people on the planet. Lex and Alexandra Luthor have been paid to find a way to cancel Superman’s powers – and the man who destroyed Krypton has been welcomed by the world’s governments to complete his mission – with the murder of Kal-El! Betrayed and at his most vulnerable, there’s no place to hide and no one Superman can trust!
    Don’t miss the follow-up to the New York Times #1 best-selling graphic novels SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE VOL. 1 and 2!

I really enjoyed the first two. I'm in. I really liked the way that JMS set this up in the first issue by foreshadowing a larger threat than Tyrell.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I will wait for this with baited breath. These Earth One books have been a joy to read. They really succeed in telling bold, novel, compelling stories about these characters and I really liked what was done with Superman here. He's not in his 30s. He's not this guy who has spent years knowing what he wants to do or who he wants to be. He's still a kid, finding his place in the world. It hasn't been all about him rescuing Lois Lane or him fighting Lex Luthor. It has been a much more personal journey and I look forward to seeing it continue. I don't know if these books are only going to be trilogies, but whatever the case I hope this book continues to build on the awesome that the first two created.
    It's not my cup of tea honestly, however good on you that you have a window into the character. That's the point of these after all. The first one was certainly a sales boon.

I might read 3 at some point when it comes out. I kinda liked 1...and really disliked 2. The art was always nice and its nice to see at least ONE comics version to stick with the classic look (more or less), although i have a suspicion that may change with vol 3 judging from the cover.

It was kind of funny reading over this thread just how quickly it nearly became another "MOS SUX" thread only four or so posts in.

Quote Originally Posted by ironman2978 View Post
    The solicitation for Superman: Earth One Volume 3 is up
    That sounds awful.

JMS writes Clark as truly an Alien adopted by earthling and it shows. Being an Alien with Superpowers is normal for Clark he can only pretend to be human. A poster asked why would he get straight C's if he was trying to hide. Maybe he was wondering if he could or just having a laugh, a bright kid not allowed to express himself is going to find a way somehow.