Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman's rogues gallery

I was getting tired of hearing that Wondie didn't have a decent rogues gallery, so I collected my notes (with some input from various Facebook forums) and presented my own ideas on my blog with a lengthier discussion on my website. Hope y'all will give it a look, maybe comment.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Dr. Giganta? LoL!

This is a great list. You summarized what makes each of these villains a deadly threat to Wonder Woman and the world at large. The only thing I would change is swapping out the White Magician for Queen Clea.
    Currently/Soon Reading: Action Comics, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Black Adam, Dark Crisis, DC vs. Vampires, Flashpoint Beyond, Human Target, Justice Society of America, Nubia, Superman: Space Age, Stargirl: The Lost Children, The New Champion of Shazam!, Wonder Woman, Young Justice Targets.

What makes Queen Clea great?

Zara with the perfect back story she could make a good character. Instead of having fake fire powers they can be real and that her origins can be great. I mean look at this redesign and updated. Hyponta might be but I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolStrick View Post
    What makes Queen Clea great?

You mean besides the fact that she's the ultimate royal b_tch? I think her cruelty towards men is unmatched in the DCU. She's also a powerful Atlantean ruler with a lot of charisma who lead Villainy Inc. and can take on Diana physically.
    Currently/Soon Reading: Action Comics, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Black Adam, Dark Crisis, DC vs. Vampires, Flashpoint Beyond, Human Target, Justice Society of America, Nubia, Superman: Space Age, Stargirl: The Lost Children, The New Champion of Shazam!, Wonder Woman, Young Justice Targets.

Great list!

I'm one of those "Veronica Cale could be WW's Lex" and... Well, you are right. She was jelous beacuse...? Maybe I have just seen (or imagined) some potential in an underdeveloped character I saw during a couple of arcs I liked. She is one of those never-seen-again characters, so we'll never know for sure...

Queen Clea is missing.
    Absolutely with you about the nazis. Punching them is always ok, but they shouldn't be a default enemy.
    What else?
    I somewhat like the idea of an anti-wonder woman (genocide, devastation), but I still have not seen anything really good (or worth returning) in that department.

I think a revamped Alkyone (as a Valyrie?) could make a good anti-WW. And Dr. P, I'll have to check to Queen C's appearances again. She never made that much of an impression on me. Certainly she hasn't been used much in the past, oh, 40 years or so. Ami, there's potential in Zara, but isn't she just another flame-thrower when it all comes down to it? Too bad Queen C and Zara are misandrists. Misandry and misogyny cards need not be played quite so much in the pages of WW. Let some other hero handle such villains for a while.

I think a revamped Alkyone (as a Valyrie?) could make a good anti-WW. And Dr. P, I'll have to check to Queen C's appearances again. She never made that much of an impression on me. Certainly she hasn't been used much in the past, oh, 40 years or so. Ami, there's potential in Zara, but isn't she just another flame-thrower when it all comes down to it? Too bad Queen C and Zara are misandrists. Misandry and misogyny cards need not be played quite so much in the pages of WW. Let some other hero handle such villains for a while.

While Zara isn't in my top 10 Wonder Woman villains, I don't think I'd classify her as "just another flame-thrower" as folks like the Joker could be classified as "just another crazy crook". Each character has unique aspects about them that can be developed and enhanced over time.

Queen Clea's appeared more than the White Magician has, actually. Plus she's been around since the original Marston days.

I think Jimenez's Villainy Inc arc is a great display of Clea as a villain. She wasn't too man-hating in that run, but I like that Clea sees men as below them. She's sort of a bizarro-Hippolyta in that she wants to conquer mankind rather than separate herself from them. I think that's pretty cool.

Anyway, she'd be on my top 10 list for sure. She's one of the few long-running recurring adversaries, rather than being tied to one run like White Magician, Devastation, Genocide, Alkyone, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    While Zara isn't in my top 10 Wonder Woman villains, I don't think I'd classify her as "just another flame-thrower" as folks like the Joker could be classified as "just another crazy crook". Each character has unique aspects about them that can be developed and enhanced over time.
    The problem with Zara is that she basically hasn't been used since the 40's. She had a few cameos like in the Our Worlds At War special, but she hasn't had a full-blown villainous role since Marston. It's sad, she and Hypnota have pretty great backstories in the Golden Age that could've been pretty spectacular when modernized.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I agree with a lot of your list, though I feel Dr. Cyber is a lot more visually interesting if she has the metal mask. Though I'd prefer another reason for her to have it besides hiding her ruined physical beauty. Her profile in the Batman: the Brave and the Bold comic stated that she wanted to rule a technological utopia. Maybe she could wear the mask to symbolize that she's casting aside her humanity?

Mighty Member

Very interesting to see who she's going to be beating the hell out of in the movie.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Ares is alot like Apocalypse.

...I'll have to check to Queen C's appearances again. She never made that much of an impression on me. Certainly she hasn't been used much in the past, oh, 40 years or so. Ami, there's potential in Zara, but isn't she just another flame-thrower when it all comes down to it?.. .
    Clea never made much of an impression on me, either. In some ways, she's sort of too much - this queen of something in a big, funny hat and the armor. In other ways, she's too little, because we don't really get to see her doing her imperious queen-thing, anywhere, the way we see Darkseid ruling Apokolips; so, she comes off, like a lot of hot air. Creators must either give her a secret civilization or cult to rule over, to make her queen-thing relevant in the present day, or get her out of that queen-gear, altogether, and make her a female Vandal Savage.

Zara has a similar problem, I think. Maybe, she could be a female Brother Blood?

Great to see you back in action, sister! Can't WAIT to check out your blog...
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 11-21-2014 at 01:47 AM.
    REVOLUTION: THE NEW, REVISED SECRET FILES OF DONNA TROY...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Last night I looked up Clea and Zara in both WW Encyclopedias to see if I was mis-recalling anything. I certainly had Zara mixed up with someone else, sorry. Yes, Zara COULD be a good villain, even a major one. Today's world has too many cults and crazed religious extremist nuts, and she could bring in stories to study such. Zara was also a showboating scammer—a perfect villain for today's world. But she would indeed have to be updated; I don't think her original presentation would do well today. And I think I'd tone down her Arabic roots because there's too much Muslim hatred going around as it is, and those could be too easily connected.

As for Clea: Just another man-hating megalomaniac. She'd have to be completely overhauled (imho) to get a good career going in modern [real] WW comics.

Mel, I'm hoping to have a major comics-related blog every month. These things take HOURS to research/scan/write. (I'm clearing out my comics collection, so this seems like a good accompaniment.)

Zara and Clea are now included on the webpage the blog links to. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Last edited by CarolStrick; 11-22-2014 at 06:14 AM.

My list of Diana's top 10 rogues(not necessarily in the order of my favorites) would be:

1.) Cheetah
    2.) Ares
    3.) Circe
    4.) Giganta
    5.) Dr. Psycho
    6.) Queen Clea
    7.) Dr. Poison
    8.) Silver Swan
    9.) Angle Man
    10.) Hades