Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

This is very exciting news; and a good day for celebrating diversity. White Fox sounds/looks awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    On the other side, making her Korean-American is again making the USA the center of the world. It is what Disney/Hollywood keep doing: ignore the foreign coutries. Everything must happen in USA, everybody must be american.
    Fair enough. Still, I'd take the negatives that come with US-centrism over the negatives that come with this-person-looks-Asian-therefore-she's-not-American at this point in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird/Diamondback View Post
    Which Avengers book? I mean, I don't see Hickman or Remender adding her to their books.
    Avengers World would seem a good bet, or Captain America and the Mighty Avengers seeing as that's the Multi-ethnic Avengers TeamTM
    I surrender to the Contest

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    Avengers World would seem a good bet, or Captain America and the Mighty Avengers seeing as that's the Multi-ethnic Avengers TeamTM
    Ohhhhhh... good call. I could see that (because agreed, at the end of Hickman's run, it seems an odd time to do it).

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Part of the appeal to making her Korean-American, instead of from Korea, is because there's a belief among many Asian-Americans (I'm one myself, and I partly subscribe to it) is that Asians in TV and movies are always treated as foreigners, and can never really be a "regular" American. There's too much emphasis on how these Asian characters are different from the rest of America.

Despite this, I'm not that interested in this character.
    I don't agree that it's "always treated" that way, but i do agree that Asian-Americans could use a more prominent representation.

Naming a few Asian-American actor's who have solid work... there's John Cho, Daniel Dae Kim, Booboo Stewart, Ryan Potter, Steven Yeun, Ian Anthony Dale, Justin Chon, Aaron Yoo, Grace Park, Lucy Liu, Maggie Q (born in Hawaii but lives and works in the US), Masi Oki (born in Japan but working in the US), Celina Jade, Jamie Chung, Arden Cho, Malese Jow, Nikki SooHoo (up and coming), Pisay Pao. In doing some brief research.

There's also an Asian-American centric/driven sitcom in the works upcoming
    http://abc.go.com/shows/fresh-off-th...VDKA0_l75ptzcb

I'm not saying that's a solution but i'm saying it's a nice start, there still needs to be a lot more Asian-American/Asian representation in TV/Movies
    Asian-Americans are probably the least represented minority group on television
    As to the subject at hand, i don't get what the point of this is... is this "White Fox" character huge in Korea or something? What's the basic goal in Americanizing the character? If it was going to bring in more Korean fans to the Marvel U i could see that as a positive thing, i have no familiarity with the character and so maybe it's lost on me as the character doesn't even seem to represent Asians. As others have said it looks like an anime character. Why not feature/promote Sunfire or Amadeus Cho a lot more?
    Last edited by SXVA; 11-20-2014 at 12:58 PM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    Why not feature/promote Sunfire or Amadeus Cho a lot more?
    Because they liked this character and wanted to use her?

Let's not forget this korean-american woman who will have her own ongoing next year:

silk.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Because they liked this character and wanted to use her?
    So... they don't like and don't want to use Sunfire/Cho? I highly doubt that's the reason simply. There's usually agenda behind this sort of thing when going outside of what you have unnecessarily.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

So... they don't like and don't want to use Sunfire/Cho?
    No, I don't know why one equates with the other. Sunfire is in Uncanny Avengers and Cho is in New Avengers and I don't see what either one of those has to do with this.

They pretty much stated their reasoning in the article so I don't see what one has to do with the other.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    So doesn't look Korean... Also she has very odd anime proportions.
    She looks Korean, just has white hair. Anime proportion are just the art style in Electric Rain. It will change when she's introduced.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    The art shown is from the Korean webcomic which is probably anime. This isn't artwork from Marvel. I would say she wont debut in the Avengers comic until after the current storyline runs it's course, so later this spring or early summer at best?
    Anime comes from Japan so its not anime. But much like here in the US, the artist was probably influence by anime and thus has a similar design.

So... they don't like and don't want to use Sunfire/Cho? I highly doubt that's the reason simply. There's usually agenda behind this sort of thing when going outside of what you have unnecessarily.
    Sunfire is Japanese, so there is no comparison there. Cho is also not a traditional superhero, as well as a Korean American, as opposed to White Fox, who will presumably be just Korean based on these appearances.The comparison are unwarranted because these characters have nothing in common other than ethnicity. More than one Asian character can appear in the Marvel Universe. It's possible. They could (gasp) even be on the same team.

We don't see Batman and then see Booster Gold and say, hey! Do we really need another white guy?

There's a good chance White Fox will be used in marketing in the future in the Korean market. Which is a good thing rather than a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    No, I don't know why one equates with the other. Sunfire is in Uncanny Avengers and Cho is in New Avengers and I don't see what either one of those has to do with this.

They pretty much stated their reasoning in the article so I don't see what one has to do with the other.
    It equates in that the Avengers are the biggest team in the Marvel U and associating an unknown variable with them, the hype is coming from the viewpoint of it being a Korean hero, and through that entering discussion of Asian characters being represented.

Yes, i know where Sunfire/Cho are currently... it was stated to feature and promote them in a serious way, like the press this White Fox character is getting from the angle of being a Korean hero in association with the Avengers. In all the press i looked up, it wasn't saying "Marvel is introducing a cool new hero" it was focusing on "Korean Hero" and followed by discussion of Asian representation in media.

So... if that's the focus, i don't see why the same focus can't be applied to Cho/Sunfire in promotion and hype, who are already established.

It's my feeling that if you're bringing in an unknown variable that's outside and new, it doesn't go right to the top... it starts with the New Warriors or something and then established itself and moves up. If it was we're bringing in this new character for a solo series, and the focus was on the actual character like with Silk, that might be a different story than being associated with the Avengers and all the hype coming from a specific angle.
    Last edited by SXVA; 11-20-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Part of the appeal to making her Korean-American, instead of from Korea, is because there's a belief among many Asian-Americans (I'm one myself, and I partly subscribe to it) is that Asians in TV and movies are always treated as foreigners, and can never really be a "regular" American. There's too much emphasis on how these Asian characters are different from the rest of America.

Despite this, I'm not that interested in this character.
    I think it is amazing that a Korean actress is playing a Korean instead of a Chinese or a Japanese

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wessex View Post
    she might be a bit redundant with white tiger though, i do think she'd be a cool addition though and al ewing loves playing up characters' powers. i'm interested in seeing the full extent of her powers, i'm hoping she's not just a female sabretooth.

This is awesome and the character looks amazing. I think what Marvel is doing by giving more Female heroes and chance to shine is great and long overdue.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Mighty Member

It equates in that the Avengers are the biggest team in the Marvel U and associating an unknown variable with them, the hype is coming from the viewpoint of it being a Korean hero, and through that entering discussion of Asian characters being represented.

Yes, i know where Sunfire/Cho are currently... it was stated to feature and promote them in a serious way, like the press this White Fox character is getting from the angle of being a Korean hero in association with the Avengers. In all the press i looked up, it wasn't saying "Marvel is introducing a cool new hero" it was focusing on "Korean Hero" and followed by discussion of Asian representation in media.

So... if that's the focus, i don't see why the same focus can't be applied to Cho/Sunfire in promotion and hype, who are already established.

It's my feeling that if you're bringing in an unknown variable that's outside and new, it doesn't go right to the top... it starts with the New Warriors or something and then established itself and moves up. If it was we're bringing in this new character for a solo series, and the focus was on the actual character like with Silk, that might be a different story than being associated with the Avengers and all the hype coming from a specific angle.
    like you said, those characters are already established. meanwhile this is marvel integrating a character into the main marvel universe, that's usually worthy of press whenever they do it. also, that's not the best marketing strategy. you can't bring in a new character then make them unimportant. if you want to bring in a new character and have them fit, they need to be worthy of reading.