Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    i'm sorry but this seems like an absolutely terrible idea. from concept to design, she looks completely awful.
    The concept is from legends as old as Hercules or Thor, what is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    This is very exciting news; and a good day for celebrating diversity. White Fox sounds/looks awesome!
    I agree. I'm looking forward to learning more about this character as time goes on.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Anyone know what her powers are?
    If they go with the web comics she tells Tony she has nine different abilities which she has yet to show all.

I have no problem with this. If the character is big overseas, theres no reason not to bring her over to the States and see if she catches on here too.

As for other characters Marvel *could* be using....who cares? If these other characters who are being ignored or put on the sidelines or otherwise marginalized were popular with fans and capable of holding their own, they would be. This White Fox is, apparently, super popular in Korea so why not give her a chance here? Maybe she'll fall on deaf ears and within a year be lost in limbo. Maybe she'll become the next big thing, like Ms. Marvel did. But there's really no reason not to use her and focus on characters that have not caught on in the first place.

As for comics focusing so much on America(this was a complaint a few pages back)....these are American comics, what do you expect? When I read comics from the UK I dont get upset because the States arent getting a lot of representation. Now, if they change this Korean character into an American-Korean, that seems like its missing the point of what Marvel is doing so I doubt they'll go there. And even still, Marvel (and DC) have plenty of characters from other parts of the world. Diversity is still a problem that needs fixing, but both companies are making strong strides (at long last!) but complaining about how everything centers around America in American made comics feels like complaining that Godzilla only attacks Japan.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Let's not forget this korean-american woman who will have her own ongoing next year:
    Attachment 13365
    Like the image.

BANNED

....the one thing that bugs me about the characters is that there really is little to no way of telling if she is actually Asian-Korean. Especially, when she is standing next to Stark. How do we even know that she really isn't a white woman from Korea? Does the book specify her race at all?

Not a big deal mind just seems that a few people are saying they shouldn't make her "American-Korean" and cheering for the diversity aspect but I can't even tell if she is in fact diverse. I am pretty big avocet of Marvel adding in more asian characters but I'm not sure White Fox fits that with so little information on her.
    Last edited by Trident; 11-22-2014 at 01:24 PM.

....the one thing that bugs me about the characters is that there really is little to no way of telling if she is actually Asian-Korean. Especially, when she is standing next to Stark. How do we even know that she really isn't a white woman from Korea? Does the book specify her race at all?

Not a big deal mind just seems that a few people are saying they shouldn't make her "American-Korean" and cheering for the diversity aspect but I can't even tell if she is in fact diverse. I am pretty big avocet of Marvel adding in more asian characters but I'm not sure White Fox fits that with so little information on her.
    That's how they draw most of the women in Manga's and Anime. Its really hard to tell the difference between Asians and Caucasians. Its much better in Comics though so I don't think it will be a problem.
    We need better comics

Astonishing Member

Another Asian character introduced to the Marvel Universe. Great!

Too bad Marvel can't introduce Asian male superheroes into the universe at the rate they are doing the females. I've noticed lately there's been a flood of Asian females compared to males. There's White Fox, Meifeng from Death of Wolverine Weapon X, Ren/Dance from Fearless Defenders, and so many mutants like Karma, Amour, Jubilee, Surge, Nature Girl, Sprite, those twins from X-Men Legacy where naturally the boy dies but the girl survives. There's more I'm sure missing but can't recollect.

Of course the Asian male mutants they introduce end up dead/evil like Zero and Daken.

I think Amadeus Cho is the only long-lasting male introduced after Shang-Chi and Sunfire back from the 70s. There's also Jimmy Woo but he's from the 50s.

Truly disappointing.
    Last edited by Global Honored; 11-22-2014 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Edited

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Another Asian character introduced to the Marvel Universe. Great!

Too bad Marvel can't introduce Asian male superheroes into the universe at the rate they are doing the females. I've noticed lately there's been a flood of Asian females compared to males. There's White Fox, Meifeng from Death of Wolverine Weapon X, Ren/Dance from Fearless Defenders, and so many mutants like Karma, Amour, Jubilee, Surge, Nature Girl, Sprite, those twins from X-Men Legacy where naturally the boy dies but the girl survives. There's more I'm sure missing but can't recollect.

Of course the Asian male mutants they introduce end up dead/evil like Zero and Daken.

I think Amadeus Cho is the only long-lasting male introduced after Shang-Chi and Sunfire back from the 70s. There's also Jimmy Woo but he's from the 50s.

Truly disappointing.
    Also the lovely Radiance who was recently introduce. (Who actually looks asian)

Marvel does need some more male asian heroes.

That's just how manga, manhwa and manhua are usually drawn. That's not really a big deal since she'll probably look more Asian in a more detailed art style. I don't know why anyone would assume she's not Korean.

Astonishing Member

Marvel does need some more male asian heroes.
    I'm really disappointed with the X-Men universe though. There seems to be a mandate to only introduce female Oriental mutants but exclude males. The X-Men are supposed to represent equality and be opposed to prejudice and bigotry. As far as I'm concerned it's the exact opposite with what they are doing to the Oriental males.

The most recent Oriental males unfortunately happened to be villains like the Nail from Captain America and Mr. Negative from Spider-Man. It's great Bendis introduced Ganke from Ultimate Spider-Man. Too bad he had to be geeky and fat.

Asian males are at an all-time low in the Marvel Universe. Hopefully some creators will do something positive. Otherwise I would like to see a silent boycott of buying comics from Marvel in general from Asians.

It's intereresting that she has nine abilities. I looked up the nine tailed fox in korean mythology and it said they have a penchant for eating people's livers so I was worried that might be her ability lol

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed View Post
    ...but being born in Hawaii would still make her an American.
    Touche. That was error on my part. I always forget about Hawaii being US... apologies to Hawaiians.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    That's just how manga, manhwa and manhua are usually drawn. That's not really a big deal since she'll probably look more Asian in a more detailed art style. I don't know why anyone would assume she's not Korean.
    Maybe because the way they drew Black Widow for the same book looks the same as the White Fox. If you weren't told she was Korean you probably think she was white.

Quote Originally Posted by gwangung View Post
    Heh. Asian American Performers Action Coalition did a survey of characters Asian actors played in New York, and it's actually 80-90% of the time that the characters are non-American. And there's a similar study for California.

So it's not an unjustified complaint.
    "Almost always" would still be more accurate than always imo. Semantics, but sometimes the smaller things can make a difference. And i did point out and agree there was a lot needed to improve in that area.

like you said, those characters are already established. meanwhile this is marvel integrating a character into the main marvel universe, that's usually worthy of press whenever they do it. also, that's not the best marketing strategy. you can't bring in a new character then make them unimportant. if you want to bring in a new character and have them fit, they need to be worthy of reading.
    Already established in the sense of getting their chance/moving up in the spotlight. I don't know if i would consider those characters below the Avengers as "unimportant" exactly, all it takes is the right promotion or the right timing [GotG for example] but i get what you're saying,

if that works for other people then fair enough...

However, that doesn't provoke a positive response with me... straightaway i'm going in with a dislike for the character because of it and i'm going to have to be won over instead of actually liking the character, which is a fairly natural process that's seen in many areas where the newcomer will have to.. i don't know if "earn" is the right word but will have to find their place, and those who go right to the top passing others over where some might see it as unfairly have a much more difficult time than those who humbly find their way imo. It will just depend how the character is handled, i suppose. If the character is overpowered right from the start and others are made to look the fool to raise the character up, etc, etc. I guess time will tell.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.