Default How do the original heroes of Earth 1 and 2's CONVERGENCE still exist?

Ok, something's been bugging me since Convergence showed the original heroes- how are they from Earth 1 and 2 if the NU52 Earths 1 and 2 have the same updated heroes? Aren't they supposed to be the same Earths?

The whole Multiverse makes my head hurt.

Incredible Member

Seems to me that Convergence shows that hypertime is back in town, so there's that. They're from these Earths pre-flashpoint.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thechief View Post
    Ok, something's been bugging me since Convergence showed the original heroes- how are they from Earth 1 and 2 if the NU52 Earths 1 and 2 have the same updated heroes? Aren't they supposed to be the same Earths?

No, they're not the same and as mentioned Hypertime seems to play a huge role too.

The same way those old comics still exist. They weren't replaced, just set aside for the new universe versions.

Incredible Member

Hypertime.

Everything has happened.. just on different earths and timelines.

Perhaps someone should ask Morrison to draw it on the back of a napkin for reference?

BANNED

Essentially, if one assumes that, like, the Silver Age Superman was transformed into the Byrne Superman by the Crisis, then a Silver Age Superman who shows up in Convergence is like a copy of the Silver Age Superman taken before he was transformed.

If one assumes that the pre-Crisis timeline just up and ended, and then a new one started, and they both happen to have a guy named Superman in them, then the Silver Age Superman who shows up in Convergence is the Silver Age Superman who was "rescued" before his timeline was destroyed.

While fans have argued over how the changes from things like Crisis actually work (are they the same guy or not) it sounds like for purposes of Convergence DC is mostly assuming the second option - that the pre-Crisis and post-Crisis worlds had different Supermen, not that one changed into the other.

I have always assumed all the stories ever printed exist in some universe somewhere out there and the multiverse has an infinite number of universes. 52 earths is just not enough. Maybe the next multiverse story will be called crisis on infinite universes.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    The same way those old comics still exist. They weren't replaced, just set aside for the new universe versions.
    Actually, I think this is exactly it. Brainiac exists outside of the effects of the time stream and universe reboots. Instead of bottled cities form different planets, he has bottled cities from different universes and continuities. His bottle collection is like leafing through hundreds of long boxes in my basement.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    Actually, I think this is exactly it. Brainiac exists outside of the effects of the time stream and universe reboots. Instead of bottled cities form different planets, he has bottled cities from different universes and continuities. His bottle collection is like leafing through hundreds of long boxes in my basement.
    I dunno, your comics, by their nature, co-exist, because they are each separate. Whereas the implication was that the characters were a continuation of one thing.

I think a better metaphor might be that Brainiac was running back-ups and storing them...

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Essentially, if one assumes that, like, the Silver Age Superman was transformed into the Byrne Superman by the Crisis, then a Silver Age Superman who shows up in Convergence is like a copy of the Silver Age Superman taken before he was transformed.

If one assumes that the pre-Crisis timeline just up and ended, and then a new one started, and they both happen to have a guy named Superman in them, then the Silver Age Superman who shows up in Convergence is the Silver Age Superman who was "rescued" before his timeline was destroyed.

While fans have argued over how the changes from things like Crisis actually work (are they the same guy or not) it sounds like for purposes of Convergence DC is mostly assuming the second option - that the pre-Crisis and post-Crisis worlds had different Supermen, not that one changed into the other.
    That's pretty much my view on it. Each "universe" has a distinct and separate group of characters who just happen to share names and certain experiences or background. They also have different timelines. Therefore in my own mind the characters of of the N52 universe are not the same as the ones from Pre-Flashpoint and so on. That's why I tend to not be as bothered about the changes that occurred as a result of the reboot. I wasn't particularly bothered by the changes that happened as a result of COIE either. In a way I'm looking at all the characters and treating them all as being "new" interations, which makes it a bit easier to separate the current versions from the previous ones. That's just me though and it doesn't always work out for me.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by M L A View Post
    Hypertime.

Everything has happened.. just on different earths and timelines.

Perhaps someone should ask Morrison to draw it on the back of a napkin for reference?
    hypertime could explain the 90s being in another bottle earth even when it is part of the post-crisis continuity that is in another convergence book?

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Braniac exists outside of time, space and the multiverse. He has bottled cities moments before they were doomed.

Since the Multiverse only contains 52 Earths (and even fewer in the past), one can only assume that Hypertime still exists.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    hypertime could explain the 90s being in another bottle earth even when it is part of the post-crisis continuity that is in another convergence book?
    The 90s Earth may be post-Crisis but it's also pre- Zero Hour. There was a timeline restart although the changes were minimal. Pre-Flashpoint DCU is post Zero Hour timeline.

This mega Brainiac that Futures End introduced is a being not limited by time and space by DC multiverse standards. He's beyond that. He bottled the cities of these respective Earths before their multiverse's erasures.