Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: The Multiversity: Pax Americana, #1

"The Multiversity: Pax Americana" #1 delivers a conspiracy plot that grabs Blue Beetle, Question, Nightshade and Peacemaker in this story written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Frank Quitely.

Full review here.

Like I said elsewhere, this book is why comics were created! This definitely needs to be a new series! Quitelys artwork is outstanding and Morrisons story is epic! This is what all comics should strive for!
    Read Hyperactive Comics on comicfury, The Duck web comics and Tapastic!!

I'm fairly new to DC, and I don't know much regarding The Question...
    As a bit of an outsider this read like a "Watchmen" analogue, is that how I should be viewing this issue? Or would a better understanding of Kord's Blue Beetle and The Question actually bring a deeper level to the story

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TonySnark View Post
    I'm fairly new to DC, and I don't know much regarding The Question...
    As a bit of an outsider this read like a "Watchmen" analogue, is that how I should be viewing this issue? Or would a better understanding of Kord's Blue Beetle and The Question actually bring a deeper level to the story
    Understanding a little of Ditko's politics, and the way he injected that into characters like the Question and Mr. A, would absolutely help you understand the work here, especifically the Black/White Spiral Dynamics 'evolution', the neo-Nietzchean, Randian (bullshit) philosophy that forms the foundation of the character. But, I'd argue, it would also give you context and help in understanding Rorschach, and Watchmen, too.

None of it is strictly necessary, but it's all helpful.

All-New Member

I found most of the comic a disaster of psychodelic political, social and meta hogwash that for the life of me I can't make sense of. What the heck does this story have to do with the Gentry and the crisis going on in the Multiverse? Where did Captain Atom go? Who is Chris Smith and other than the fact that he killed the president, why is he important? A character called Nora O-rourke solved Algorithm 8 and discovered something important. And was killed by unknown assailant for it. But why? What was the point of showing the Question beat up random bad buys? Why was he fighting Nightshade? Aren't they both good guys? Captain Atom's scientists were killed by a "Sergeant" but who specifically? And why? What was the point? The Atom had already left. What was the point of the scene with Nightshade and her mother? It contributed no insight into the narrative or the mystery.

Also, point of fact..... the story very clearly does NOT go in complete reverse. The very clear evidence of this is the beginning which involves an interrogation of the assassin AFTER the assassination. And the further interrogation of the assassin on pages 18 and 19.

What the heck was the point of Captain Atom disemboweling his dog? And stupidly wondering why he did so....as it killed him? His commentary provided little insight into what is going on.

At the end it showed what I assume was a young future president kid killing his Dad, (Vince Harley) accidentally after being surprised in his dad's art study. What is the point of this scene, since we know the kid grows up to get his head blown off anyway? How does this move the narrative forward? Again, what is the point? What does this have to do with a threat to the multiverse?

And for God's sake, why is Jesus Christ depicted on the 4th last page? Or is that the future president? And if so,..... what's the point? The president is shot so why spend so much time on flash backs of a character who ends up assassinated?

Bah.
    Last edited by shiva; 11-20-2014 at 01:20 PM.

All-New Member

All the answers to the questions you ask are in the narrative. I have read no interviews - I don't think Morrison has given any "explaining" anything of this issue, and it made fine sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by shiva View Post
    What the heck does this story have to do with the Gentry and the crisis going on in the Multiverse?
    It's about agent of the Gentry destroying this world's heroes. President Harley has a plan, which he has formulated using "Algorithm 8", a mathematical equation that allows him to accurately predict the future. He instructs Peacemaker to assassinate him, only for Captain Atom to then resurrect him. This is how he perceives he will bring "world peace" - perhaps by making himself some sort of Messiah (you yourself observe the Christ-like visual), or maybe just by sanctifying superheroes once again and restoring them to their golden days of being lauded wonderbeings, instead of shadow-dwellers and government-funded objects of suspicion. However --

Where did Captain Atom go?
    He was removed from the universe by having a black hole opened within his brain by the scientists, on the orders of the vice president, via Sergeant Lane - agents of the Gentry - in order to PREVENT him from being able to resurrect Harley. This allows the vice-president to step in and shut down all superhero operations, destroying the heroes of this world, in accordance with the Gentry's wishes.

Who is Chris Smith and other than the fact that he killed the president, why is he important?
    He's the first government-employed superhero.

A character called Nora O-rourke solved Algorithm 8 and discovered something important. And was killed by unknown assailant for it. But why?
    Algorithm 8 is the mathematical formula for predicting the future, given to Harley by the time-travelling Captain Atom - essentially Atom bestowing his level of understand of time on Harley. She solves the algorithm, and as such, understands what is about to happen in the future - that Atom has been removed from the universe and CANNOT resurrect Harley. She is killed before she can use his knowledge to prevent Peacemaker from assassinating Harley.

What was the point of showing the Question beat up random bad buys?
    In addition to playing into Ditko's philosophies, that scene is him finding out about the secret formula, Algorithm 8.

Why was he fighting Nightshade? Aren't they both good guys?
    Nightshade's still working for the government, the Question has long since gone rogue and is sticking his nose into businesses the government would rather he not (the conspiracy) and have set their agents on him.

Captain Atom's scientists were killed by a "Sergeant" but who specifically? And why? What was the point? The Atom had already left.
    They made him leave with the aforementioned black hole. They were killed to ensure their silence. The Sergeant is Sergeant Lane, seen inducting the heroes later in the issue, in the past, when Harley forms them into a team. The metal hand denotes him as the Charlton Comics character, Sarge Steel.

What was the point of the scene with Nightshade and her mother? It contributed no insight into the narrative or the mystery.
    No, it didn't, it was just furthering the Nightshade/Silk Spectre parallel.

What the heck was the point of Captain Atom disemboweling his dog? And stupidly wondering why he did so....as it killed him? His commentary provided little insight into what is going on.
    He's not in his right mind, trying to grasp the new view of life his powers have given him. But, narratively, it showed us that he was capable of killing something, and then bringing it back to life, which was what Harley planned for him to do to him.

At the end it showed what I assume was a young future president kid killing his Dad, (Vince Harley) accidentally after being surprised in his dad's art study. What is the point of this scene, since we know the kid grows up to get his head blown off anyway? How does this move the narrative forward? Again, what is the point? What does this have to do with a threat to the multiverse?
    That is indeed what the scene shows. Harley is responsible for accidentally killing his father, the hero Yellowjacket, and essentially triggering the end of the "golden age" of heroes. It's a desire to bring about an age of peace that he basically strangled in the crib thanks to this accident that drives his whole scheme, which is the plot of the issue. This scene is the scene that makes the whole issue make sense.

And for God's sake, why is Jesus Christ depicted on the 4th last page? Or is that the future president? And if so,..... what's the point? The president is shot so why spend so much time on flash backs of a character who ends up assassinated?
    That's the future president. This is the scene of Captain Atom, from the future, appearing to him and granting him understanding in the form of Algorithm 8 (Atom is seen reading the "cursed comic", of course, so the possibility exists that he is or will become an agent of the Gentry also, and so may be putting all of this in motion with malice aforethought, which the vice-president and Lane then simply see through). Harley says while talking to Atom that the symbol on his ring - not the number 8 that Atom believes it is - is a reminder of where he was when he first gained understanding. The impulsive response as a reader is to think that, rather than 8, it must be an infinity sign - that's something we've all seen before, and this issue is full of talk of metaphors for infinity and time being non-linear. But as we find out on the final page, it is neither - it his the image of his father's domino mask, from that horrible moment in his childhood, which he has chosen to wear as a reminder of his father's gravesite, where understanding dawned.

So.... there you go. I guess the basic problem you had was that you didn't understand that the president orchestrated the plot of the whole issue. I'm not lecturing, I'm not even gettin' at you - because I used to respond the same way to Morrison stories. Something just clicked one day and I "got" them.
    Last edited by Chris McFeely; 11-20-2014 at 02:11 PM.

BANNED

What the heck does this story have to do with the Gentry and the crisis going on in the Multiverse?
    They destroy worlds. Each #1 has ended with the Gentry winning.

We don't know.

Who is Chris Smith and other than the fact that he killed the president, why is he important?
    He's the Peacemaker and he was part of the president's algorithm 8.

A character called Nora O-rourke solved Algorithm 8 and discovered something important. And was killed by unknown assailant for it. But why?
    Because she knew the truth about the algorithm and the Gentry's agent couldn't allow the heroes to win.
    It shows him getting clues to learning the Vice President is corrupt + you see how his world view has changed.
    Blue Beetle and Nightshade work for the Government, they don't know they're working for the bad guys.

Captain Atom's scientists were killed by a "Sergeant" but who specifically? And why? What was the point?
    Lol to keep it a secret. It was clearly explained in the dialogue.

What was the point of the scene with Nightshade and her mother?
    Nightshade's mother has super powers and she sensed the evilness around. + it was a homage page to Watchmen.

It showed how screwed Captain Atom was, but more importantly it showed he can resurrect people. Which is what the President wants, the President will sacrifise himself and the Atom will copy a good President messiah.

At the end it showed what I assume was a young future president kid killing his Dad, (Vince Harley) accidentally after being surprised in his dad's art study. What is the point of this scene, since we know the kid grows up to get his head blown off anyway?
    It solves the Yellowjacket mystery and demonstrates' the President's motivation and you see the fall of a good ol' fashioned superhero.

How does this move the narrative forward? Again, what is the point? What does this have to do with a threat to the multiverse?
    The Gentry has attacked yet another world, but will Captain Atom come back from oblivion and resurrect the President?

Captain Atom goes to the past and show's the President the plan (Algorithm 8) and that ends up being the reason why Captain Atom gets created. The point is to show the president realizing his plan.

Spectacular Member

really good issue. I had to read it several times to get it. I would recommend reading it backward after you read it forward, as Captain Atom suggests.

BANNED

I read it a 2nd time and I still don't get the big fuss.

All-New Member

According to what Ninjak said, "I read it a 2nd time and I still don't get the big fuss."
    Probably many others, too.
    Check this link, http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/ under "Multiversity: Pax Americana Annotations/Analysis" and it, hopefully, should clear up your "turned into Jell-O" brains.
    Good luck.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Nicholas; 11-20-2014 at 02:56 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
    According to what Ninjak said, "I read it a 2nd time and I still don't get the big fuss."
    Probably many others, too.
    Check this link, http://heshouldreallyknowbetter.blogspot.com/ under "Multiversity: Pax Americana Annotations/Analysis" and it, hopefully, should clear up your "turned into Jell-O" brains.
    Good luck.
    Cheers!
    My brains are just fine, thank you. I'm not slow. I just thought it was simply okay.

Fantastic Member

There is a chronological ordering of the plot here:

http://rikdad.blogspot.com/2014/11/m...americana.html

Although, note that Captain Atom can perceive and act out of linear sequence, so HIS role can't be placed into chronological order. In fact, the most important thing is that he introduces a younger Harley to the Möbius Strip and an older Harley later introduces Captain Atom to the infected comic books, so there is a time loop there.

This book is a total mind f#!@.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

I found most of the comic a disaster of psychodelic political, social and meta hogwash that for the life of me I can't make sense of.
    The story really isn't very confusing--just about everything you're asking is in the text, and a lot of it is explicitly stated.

Directly relatively little, though especially with the presence of Ultra Comics it's unquestionable that they've been influencing the proceedings. Thematically, this issue deals with the failure of the super-hero concept, much like the other issues, and it seems very likely Captain Atom (and possibly the Question) will reappear later.

He was collapsed into a black hole and "exited reality". He mentioned earlier/later that he couldn't be killed, and as a man who can see through time he would know. Most likely, he's been merely exiled from Earth 4, to appear later in Multiversity.

He's admittedly more of a plot-driver than anything else (it's not a character-centric piece, aside from President Harley and to a lesser extent Captain Atom), but he's essentially the 'pure' hero this world otherwise lacks, or he at least tries to be. He genuinely wants to make a better world, but his blind faith and violent means to achieve his ends render him ultimately ineffectual.

That was the same guy as who killed the scientists, and she was killed because with Algorithm 8, she could pick up where the President left off or prevent his assassination altogether.

It imparted to the reader information about both the plot and the larger world, showed how his personality had changed over time, and showcased the callous brutality that was the damning flaw of this world's super-people.

By that point, Blue Beetle and Nightshade both pretty clearly thought he had gone nuts and needed to be brought down.

Captain Atom's scientists were killed by a "Sergeant" but who specifically? And why? What was the point? The Atom had already left.
    In the original Charlton Comics he was "Sarge Steel", but that's basically irrelevant--the point is that you later see him joining in the Peacemaker's interrogation, making clear he's operating on the orders of the corrupt Vice President. They were killed to prevent knowledge of Captain Atom's demise on the orders of the Vice-President, who didn't trust him and may have known about the conspiracy to kill the President, sabotaging it so he would come to power.

What was the point of the scene with Nightshade and her mother? It contributed no insight into the narrative or the mystery.
    It provides a hint about the VP's involvement in Atom's "death", the mother's dementia and recurring speech is an additional loop, and her references to "the Shadow Dimension" (the Land of Nightshades for the traditional Nightshade, a realm the Multiverse Map clarifies as being in the realm of Nightmare) may become significant later.

Also, point of fact..... the story very clearly does NOT go in complete reverse. The very clear evidence of this is the beginning which involves an interrogation of the assassin AFTER the assassination. And the further interrogation of the assassin on pages 18 and 19.
    Well, it's just going a bit farther forward at first before starting to go back. But it is indeed not totally backwards--Atom shows up again too--the story instead curves in on itself, like a Mobius strip.

He said exactly why he was doing it: after his transformation, he no longer felt the same feelings for the dog he had, and took it apart in the confused hope that seeing its "component parts" would allow him to find his old feelings again (possibly a critique of deconstruction, in that regard). The point is to show how unwell he is, but that like the other 'heroes' he's not meaning to do harm.

It's the scene that informs the rest of the book: it's why Harley went to such lengths to try and save the world and why the heroes were so broken: because he accidentally killed the original and morally greatest super-hero, and his own father at that. It's what shatters him enough to go on the spirit quest that leads to him 'finding' Algorithm 8, the nature of which is shaped at least in part by the domino mask. Additionally, it's been noted that the eye of Intellectron seems to be visible on Harley's fathers drawing board, suggesting that this is where the Gentry interfered with this universe.

Yeah, that's the President, and as well as looking like Jesus, since he's trying to become an "American Christ" of sorts through his death and resurrection as a messiah, he's meant to resemble Alan Moore, since this is a Watchmen reflection. In a lot of ways, Harley is Moore, or at least Morrison's conception of Moore: a brilliant man trying to fix everything by changing the superhero to accommodate it, but despite his brilliance and good intentions, causes more problems than he solves. That's the moment he gets Algorithm 8 and...look, asking why they spend so much time on this guy is like asking why Watchmen keeps flashing back to the Comedian, or why that one movie spends so much time on that dead Kane fella.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 11-20-2014 at 03:24 PM.
    Buh-bye

Nora is actually killed by Iron Arms, a Captain Atom villain. Look in the big investigation page- he has two iron arms, as opposed to Sarge Steel's single steel hand. It's a small thing, easy to miss and I'm not even sure it's actually important.