Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Thanos: A God Up There Listening Spoilers

So this was a neat series that is only available digitally. It was set to explore what Thane and Ebony Maw have been up to since we haven't heard from them since Infinity ended earlier in the year. This comic also contains a lot of Thanos goodness, so much so that you would think it was written by Jim Starlin. There's also some Ego the Living Planet and Black Order thrown in there for good measure if you are interested. The biggest developments were as follows:

spoilers:
    Ebony Maw may just be a figment of Thane's imagination as it seems he died during the battle with Ego. It's not entirely clear as of yet.

Thanos was once able to beat Ego by going deep to his core and retrieving the Galactus Engine and using it against the Living Planet.

Only Thanos and Thane appear to be able to see Mistress Death.

Thane has accepted his role as the son of a tyrant and appeared to take some sort of power from a cube device that melded to his skin.
    end of spoilers
    Currently Reading:

DC: Justice League, Multiversity, Batman

Marvel: Avengers, New Avengers

Wait wait wait... So you're saying that spoilers:
    Ebony Maw is dead?
    end of spoilers

I'm going to have to get this now. I was on the fence but not anymore.

Is it the entire series or just one issue? I thought it was supposed to be an 6 issue mini-series.

Edit: Never mind I looked on Comixology, all the issues are out.
    Last edited by sifighter; 07-01-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahes View Post
    Wait wait wait... So you're saying that spoilers:
    Ebony Maw is dead?
    end of spoilers

I'm going to have to get this now. I was on the fence but not anymore.
    It's not stated outright and the implications would certainly leave some plot holes in Infinity, but if you read it you'll understand what I mean.
    Currently Reading:

DC: Justice League, Multiversity, Batman

Marvel: Avengers, New Avengers

Quote Originally Posted by smoothrunes View Post
    It's not stated outright and the implications would certainly leave some plot holes in Infinity, but if you read it you'll understand what I mean.
    Yeah finished reading it and it raises a lot of questions for sure.

spoilers:
    It did however show that Thane embracing the legacy of Thanos and move in position to be a threat that Hickman's run will have to deal with though.
    end of spoilers

Amazon seems to indicate this will be traded later this year. I will wait for the print version. Sounds very interesting.

I thought this was a pretty poor series. Spoilers ahead:

The "biography" of Thanos is a memory of a random and pretty stupid attack waged by Thanos on Ego, which tells a lot less about Thanos than pretty much any story of him we've read so far. Also, did Thanos think this through for one second before attacking Ego with a few dozen ships? We also get the usual Galactus bashing serving to highlight how much of a badass Thanos is supposed to be, empty pseudo-deep phrases, and an issue in which we basically learn nothing about how Thane came to be and only get weak and pretty cliché character development.

Can't wait for Starlin's new story because this was really nothing like what he can write.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    I thought this was a pretty poor series. Spoilers ahead:

The "biography" of Thanos is a memory of a random and pretty stupid attack waged by Thanos on Ego, which tells a lot less about Thanos than pretty much any story of him we've read so far. Also, did Thanos think this through for one second before attacking Ego with a few dozen ships? We also get the usual Galactus bashing serving to highlight how much of a badass Thanos is supposed to be, empty pseudo-deep phrases, and an issue in which we basically learn nothing about how Thane came to be and only get weak and pretty cliché character development.

Can't wait for Starlin's new story because this was really nothing like what he can write.
    Don't tell me Thanos beat up Galactus again please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ite View Post
    Don't tell me Thanos beat up Galactus again please.
    He didn't, but the narrator insists that even Galactus "perhaps" feared Ego, and wanted him "as far away from him as possible", while mighty Thanos isn't afraid of anything and actively chased Ego. In fact, "fear itself bows and grovels before Thanos". Zzzzz. Later on, we get "Ego the wanderer -- he who had faced and defeated Galactus the world eater and Odin, All-father of Asgard, and countless more... Felt panic! The living planet had attempted to best Thanos by physical force and failed, and so now, in fear [...]".
    Last edited by ShaokhaN; 07-03-2014 at 02:18 AM.

BANNED

He didn't, but the narrator insists that even Galactus "perhaps" feared Ego, and wanted him "as far away from him as possible", while mighty Thanos isn't afraid of anything and actively chased Ego. In fact, "fear itself bows and grovels before Thanos". Zzzzz.
    Galactus would destroy Ego lol don't you agree?

He didn't, but the narrator insists that even Galactus "perhaps" feared Ego, and wanted him "as far away from him as possible", while mighty Thanos isn't afraid of anything and actively chased Ego. In fact, "fear itself bows and grovels before Thanos". Zzzzz. Later on, we get "Ego the wanderer -- he who had faced and defeated Galactus the world eater and Odin, All-father of Asgard, and countless more... Felt panic! The living planet had attempted to best Thanos by physical force and failed, and so now, in fear [...]".
    Yeah, that changed my opinion of this series. That's horrible dialogue and jobbing Galactus is eye rolling.

BANNED

I really enjoyed the series. The art was fantastic in all but the 5th issue and the story was quite good even though it leaves the question of Ebony Maw unanswered (alive/dead?)

It's not Starlin's Thanos, that's for sure, but as a followup to Infinity (and to a lesser extent Thanos Rising) this is an enjoyable book and worth picking up.

BANNED

If what said is true, then explain spoilers:
    Ebony Maw appearances in the Mighty Avengers title when he convinced Dr. Strange to unleash that demonic army ?
    end of spoilers

My take is that Ebony Maw isn't dead at all, but rather playing Thane, just as he played Strange. He wants to create the legacy of Thanos that Thane himself doesn't want to become. By messing with his mind and the images from Trynka he seems to be succeeding.
    Last edited by Ciriaco; 07-05-2014 at 11:51 AM.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ciriaco View Post
    My take is that Ebony Maw isn't dead at all, but rather playing Thane, just as he played Strange. He wants to create the legacy of Thanos that Thane himself doesn't want to become. By messing with his mind and the images from Trynka he seems to be succeeding.
    This is the most likely thing.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier