Default Newsarama: "Best Shots Megareview: WONDER WOMAN By Brian Azzarello, Cliff Chiang - the Full Run"

As with the Comics Alliance review, Newsarama has decided to review the entire Azzarello/Chiang/Wilson run of WONDER WOMAN. And also like the Comic Alliance review, this one is a well-written, well-reasoned critical look at the series.

Brian Azzarello's Wonder Woman started with one of the strongest high concepts of the New 52. Its solicitation declared that Wonder Woman was the only force defending humanity from the whims of the cold, unfeeling Gods. And while this does peek through, a better statement would be that Diana is the moral center the Gods lack. Perhaps this is why Diana rarely feels like the book's focus, even when Azzarello tries to draw down on her personal journey. While Wonder Woman may have wound up being the strongest, most artful title of the New 52, it also may be the one that serves its title character the least.
    http://www.newsarama.com/22775-best-...-full-run.html

Mighty Member

Great review! Some really good points, one being probably why Azzarello wanted Orion in the mix . The dog of war vs the God of war... Haha... I'd be impressed if he could write another pun in his life after being finished with Wonder Woman. But still, it -as the review states- gives the book a poetic feel of sorts.

Btw. For those who don't, read secret origins last. After WW#35. Puts the story in full circle mode. Great Athena/Zola transition. Adds some nice sadness to Aleka. Love it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    As with the Comics Alliance review, Newsarama has decided to review the entire Azzarello/Chiang/Wilson run of WONDER WOMAN. And also like the Comic Alliance review, this one is a well-written, well-reasoned critical look at the series.
    Yes it is. Thanks for posting it, SonofBaldwin. It's really observant of small but salient details, and makes a great case even for some criticisms with which I don't necessarily agree.

I thought that this point was particularly interesting:

The problem is, rather than building a foundation for Wonder Woman using Diana as the base, Azzarello explores Wonder Woman's core values by showing us everything that she is not, establishing a staggering wall of dichotomy between Diana and nearly everyone else in her life. War is ruthless, but Diana is merciful. Orion is impetuous, but Diana is measured. First Born is relentless, but Diana is compromising. Though these relationships are crafted with a textured approach to language that fortifies the obvious beats with subtle cues, too often they leave Diana in a position where she must be everything to everyone, and therefore comes off feeling too much like nobody in particular.
    I think this is smart, but at the same time, it doesn't seem to take into account how Diana moves other characters, pulling them across that "wall of dichotomy" towards her side:

--"War is ruthless"...except when Diana evokes mercy in him, causing him to question his most fundamental values;
    --"Orion is impetuous"...but his impetuosity becomes a better kind of boldness, at least for a moment, when Diana's fate in him prompts him to reject his father's order and do the right thing;
    --"First Born is relentless"...always, but because of his admiration of Diana even he starts to move towards love, though it's only his own warped conception of love.

It kind of seems to me like she's not portrayed as "everything to everyone," but as essentially one thing--love--to everyone, and the influence of her love is what makes her truly central to the whole cast of characters.

At least he noted that method of characterization through the supporting cast, something I've been saying since always.

Astonishing Member

Nice, well written review. Thanks for posting the link, SonOfBaldwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanus View Post
    Yes it is. Thanks for posting it, SonofBaldwin. It's really observant of small but salient details, and makes a great case even for some criticisms with which I don't necessarily agree.

I thought that this point was particularly interesting:

I think this is smart, but at the same time, it doesn't seem to take into account how Diana moves other characters, pulling them across that "wall of dichotomy" towards her side:

--"War is ruthless"...except when Diana evokes mercy in him, causing him to question his most fundamental values;
    --"Orion is impetuous"...but his impetuosity becomes a better kind of boldness, at least for a moment, when Diana's fate in him prompts him to reject his father's order and do the right thing;
    --"First Born is relentless"...always, but because of his admiration of Diana even he starts to move towards love, though it's only his own warped conception of love.

It kind of seems to me like she's not portrayed as "everything to everyone," but as essentially one thing--love--to everyone, and the influence of her love is what makes her truly central to the whole cast of characters.
    So very well said!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    So very well said!
    Second that