View Poll Results: Geoff Johns's Green Lantern circa Dec 2004 to May 2013 / What is your verdict?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-Stars: Easily One of The Greatest runs I have ever read

33 51.56%
  • 4-Stars: This was really good

21 32.81%
  • 3-Stars: It was okay

3 4.69%
  • 2-Stars: I was more underwhelmed than anything

3 4.69%
  • 1-Star: I'm trying to find my lighter or match so I can set this on fire

3 4.69%
  • No Comment: I haven't read it, or I really have no opinion(s) whatsoever

1 1.56%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
    Fine up until the emotional spectrum was introduced. Then it crashed and burned, The fanboys kept buying it though until Geoff left.
    Yes, clearly the people reading it and enjoying it were the fanboys.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

It started off rather slow at the beginning to me, with the constant beating over the head of the flashbacks with his father dying (I get already people!), but it definitely picked up steam once we got closer to the Sinestro Corps War arc and was riding high until Brightest Day were it kind of petered out for a while. Picked up again I feel with the Third Army story but dropped with the First Lantern storyline as well. However, it had a fantastic and satisfying finish overall and I'm ultimately glad I read all of it.

I do maintain the highest point for me of the run was Blackest Night, which is also my favorite event comic of all time (and some of my favorite tie-ins to any event as well). I say the run is a 4 out of 5 to me.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    Yes, clearly the people reading it and enjoying it were the fanboys.
    Damned sure were. The kind of people who if Geoff made a big smiley face on all 20 pages, they'd run out and pay $4 for it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post

The fanboys are always to blame.
    They don't create the problems, They perpetuate them by supporting them financially.

BANNED

Damned sure were. The kind of people who if Geoff made a big smiley face on all 20 pages, they'd run out and pay $4 for it.
    Right, because the tens of thousands of readers each month are all fanboys, only you have the clear Insite as to what is a good comic and why people buy the comics they like. The comic world is lucky to have you.

Johns did an amazing feat in revitalizing the Lanterns and letting them grow into it's own family of books over the years. I haven't read too much of his actual work, but there were plenty of great moments to go around. Geoff's writing did lose its luster by the end, but it's good that he left when he did.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    1 star. I wasn't interested in the characters, and especially not the Mary Sue take on Hal Jordan, I dislike the emotional spectrum and entities, it was incredibly redundant, being Lantern Corps of one color vs. another color ad nauseam, and it went on WAAAAAAY too long. There is actually quite a bit of it I'm probably not the most qualified to weigh in on, because I stopped reading the books, but I always kept Green Lantern in my peripheral vision, and I never liked the plots or concepts I was hearing about. I got back into the franchise in earnest again the minute he left. Seriously.

That said, I do think Ivan Reis is a great artist!

Oh, and to be fair, I like that he brought back the Guardians and the Green Lantern Corps. That was the best thing he did, in my opinion. By that same token I hate that he made the Guardians evil. That was seriously WTF.
    You can't even give Johns credit for the Guardians. They came back under Winnick when Kyle gave up his Ion powers. And the Power Battery got fixed by Joe Kelly in Legacy.

Only reason I gave this run two stars was because of the artists (love Doug Mankhe) and the initial hope I had for this run despite not liking GL: Rebirth.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Rebirth was fine if occasionally infuriating and his first 9 or so issues were very underwhelming. Between One Year Later and the end of The Sinestro Corps War is was really, really good. After The Sinestro Corps War, however, it was basically pretty good but Blackest Night was so shockingly bad that it badly tainted everything that came before. I dropped all GL titles after Blackest Night and never looked back.

So, overall, it just about scrapes by with a 2/5 as there was some decent stuff in there but the bad parts were really, really bad and just dragged the whole thing down. Some pretty great artists throughout though.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I liked the whole thing quite a bit. Post-Blackest Night had a noticeable dip in quality (still enjoyable) and once the nu52 started the writing and stories got better once again; and of course it ended extremely well.

It's a 4/5 for me.
    But are you the only metal that's liquid at room temperature?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    You can't even give Johns credit for the Guardians. They came back under Winnick when Kyle gave up his Ion powers.
    The Guardian were babies when Kyle resurrected them. It was Johns who restored them to their natural ages.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FishboneX View Post
    Right, because the tens of thousands of readers each month are all fanboys, only you have the clear Insite as to what is a good comic and why people buy the comics they like. The comic world is lucky to have you.
    LOL. I love this post.

Best Lantern run of all time and Geoff Johns at his high point, 5 stars for me

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    1 star. I wasn't interested in the characters, and especially not the Mary Sue take on Hal Jordan, I dislike the emotional spectrum and entities, it was incredibly redundant, being Lantern Corps of one color vs. another color ad nauseam, and it went on WAAAAAAY too long. There is actually quite a bit of it I'm probably not the most qualified to weigh in on, because I stopped reading the books, but I always kept Green Lantern in my peripheral vision, and I never liked the plots or concepts I was hearing about. I got back into the franchise in earnest again the minute he left. Seriously.
    So...Geoff Johns committed the sin of being more into Hal Jordan than he was into John Stewart, and therefore his entire run on Green Lantern was bad...

That's what you really want to say, right?

Oh, and to be fair, I like that he brought back the Guardians and the Green Lantern Corps. That was the best thing he did, in my opinion. By that same token I hate that he made the Guardians evil. That was seriously WTF.
    No, actually, it wasn't. It actually made sense as Johns was sort of building up to it for several years. But, like you said, you hadn't even been reading the comics at all until after he left, so.....

Plus, as such, Geoff also gave us the Templar Guardians, who are awesome little guys, and I love them.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 05-11-2014 at 08:41 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Oh. So, they were all just mindless fanboys who had fallen under Johns' spell and as such were compelled to go out and buy these comics because they just didn't know any better. I mean, God knows that if I didn't like it, that must mean that nobody smart could have ever liked it.

You do realize that this is exactly what hipsters say in order to convince themselves that they're smarter than everyone else, right?

This post couldn't get more hipster-y if it tried.