Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n_RDM View Post
    Good to hear, the MMWs are in my backlog.
    Just searched in Bing images "John Byrne Iron Fist" - there's some damn good art in there. Impressive.

Not sure this qualifies as a "comic" since it is more of a "stand alone" graphic novel, from the 1980s, but the "Love and War" graphic novel by Frank Millker and Bill Sienkiewicz is a work of art. Well written and exceptional art!
    billsienkiewicz_Daredevil.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    Alan Moore & Ian Gibson's The Ballad Of Halo Jones
    Peter Milligan & Phillip Bond's Vertigo POP!: London
    Garth Ennis & John McCrea's stint on The Demon
    Joe Casey's Adventures Of Superman

Also throwing my hat in for Gerber/Birch's Foolkiller.
    Two great choices, I would also say Button Man by John Wagner.
    The Question by Dennis O'Neil

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I really enjoyed Ostrander's 30+issue run on Martian Manhunter in the mid 90's
    I don't recall now who wrote it but the android Hourman 25 issue run late 90s/early '00 was fun
    Sleepwalker's 25 issue run was a good first year, mixed in the backend.
    Punisher by Greg Rucka from a few years ago
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    I don't recall now who wrote it but the android Hourman 25 issue run late 90s/early '00 was fun
    Tom Peyer. It's his best work in comics. I wish DC would reprint it.

Bad Company by Peter Milligan

The Shadow by Helfer, Baker and Sienkiewicz, ran for 19 issues plus 2 annuals, recently collected in 3 trades by Dynamite, probably my favourite run of all time.

Justice inc. A two issue prestige format book from DC by Helfer and Baker again

Crossgen. Everything from them was good but especially Ruse and Sojourn for me.
    Maze Agency
    Micronauts: The New Voyages
    The Prisoner mini-series based on the '60s show
    Titans: Scissors, Paper, Stone
    DC's War of the Gods
    '80s Dr. Strange
    '70s All-Star Comics
    Doom Patrol before Larsen and Morrison
    Atari Force
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Warriors of Plasm was fun with Jim Shooter. Then it started getting way too boringly complicated with technical platitudes under Lapham though he is a wonderful artist. That series ended too soon. I loved the average joe cast.

All-New Member

Steve Ditko's "The Creeper" character always seemed to be under rated to me.

I feel like he's definitely deserving of a reboot.

I started getting into this character when I picked up his first appearance, first mini series, and several reappearances in the 70s all for $50.

So under-rated that it never gets a mention in these threads...until now...Tecknophage. From memory written initially by Rick Veitch with Bryan Talbot doing art, later written by Bryan Talbot. (Very happy to be corrected, my memory is somewhat fallible.) Really entertaining stuff.

In general I have a great liking for Bryan Talbot...it was first reading his "The Tale of One Bad Rat" that convinced me that comics was a wonderful way to tell all sorts of stories, no need to stay in the "super hero ghetto" all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    So under-rated that it never gets a mention in these threads...until now...Tecknophage. From memory written initially by Rick Veitch with Bryan Talbot doing art, later written by Bryan Talbot. (Very happy to be corrected, my memory is somewhat fallible.) Really entertaining stuff.

In general I have a great liking for Bryan Talbot...it was first reading his "The Tale of One Bad Rat" that convinced me that comics was a wonderful way to tell all sorts of stories, no need to stay in the "super hero ghetto" all the time.
    Paul Jenkins and Al Davison finished the regular Teknophage series, and Bryan Talbot wrote the Phage: Shadow War mini, illustrated by his former studio mate David Pugh.

I was actually excited to see that there's an upcoming tpb of the Veitch/Talbot issues. Tremendously underrated series as you said.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Paul Jenkins and Al Davison finished the regular Teknophage series, and Bryan Talbot wrote the Phage: Shadow War mini, illustrated by his former studio mate David Pugh.

I was actually excited to see that there's an upcoming tpb of the Veitch/Talbot issues. Tremendously underrated series as you said.
    Cheers.

Seeing Al Davison mentioned reminded me of "The Spiral Cage"... another work that I enjoyed tremendously, and think deserves an even bigger rep than it has.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Cheers.

Seeing Al Davison mentioned reminded me of "The Spiral Cage"... another work that I enjoyed tremendously, and think deserves an even bigger rep than it has.
    Oh, yeah... fantastic autobiographical comic. It's really triumphant, but not in a sentimental or hoaky sort of way. Davison said he's going to start working on new installments, and I couldn't be happier. I'm not sure if there's a publisher, but I wouldn't be surprised if Richard Starkings puts it out through Image. He's always been one of Al's biggest cheerleaders.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wollodrin View Post
    Scion from Crossgen.
    My favorite comic, pretty much.
    As far as CrossGen goes, Scion was really good, but my favorite title was Negation. Just awesome
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor