Default Lots to catch up on

Ollo, folks.

Hope you're all well.

Haven't been around for a while (lots of changes at my end: job, country, writing novels, short stories, and fan-fiction (did a 'rewrite' of Man of Steel (I think some of you read that) and I'm currently working on Dawn of Justice and plodding along with Superman as a Muslim and a few other pieces)) and I'm a little out of the loop on Big Blue - I fell by the way-side towards the tail-end of the Doomsday storyline...did 'Aftermath' happen?

Is Convergence a follow-on to what we saw at the end of the Doomsday storyline?

Superman Unchained was disappointing, overall - it had potential, but I just don't feel that it followed through on some of the ideas that were put forward.

Has it been finalised as to whether Lois knows or not? :tongue:

Anyway, hope a few of you remember me...

Anyone?

Anyone?

BANNED

Yeah I remember you

Yes Convergence,and next years big Crisis event is both teased by the last page in Doomed and he booster told futures end issue.

Unchained was beautiful,but had a slightly irritating way of presenting superman

I think Lois forgot when she lost her brainiac powers

Welcome back adkal! I remember you from many of the other comic boards besides this one, all the back to the old DC boards.

Convergence is the next big event for DC. The end of Doomed does seem to lead into Convergence. I won't spoil anything for you, as the end of Doomed was fun.

Unchained didn't work for me either. I didn't care for the more passive presentation of Superman or the resolution of the whole thing.

I think Lois forgot that Clark is Superman when she lost her powers. I'm not entirely sure where it stands now, as they haven't really come back to it.

As far as the Super books go, Pak is still on Action and it's great. Johns is doing a pretty solid job on Superman, even if it's not revolutionary. Tomasi just took over Superman/Wonder Woman and he did a really good job with Superman. His Wonder Woman was off, but he seemed to really get Superman right in his first issue. He presents a tough but compassionate Superman, kind of like Pak or Morrison.

Also, with Convergence, we'll be getting to revisit various versions of Superman. So we'll be getting pre-Flashpoint Supes, married to Lois with a baby on the way and Kingdom Come Superman. So lots to look forward to there. All in all, the Superman line seems to be pretty fun right now. I think you've picked a good time to come back.

Wondered where you got off to, welcome back man!

So, catching you up on all things Super....

Spoilers to follow.

Doomed's (wow that's weird to type) ending was pretty solid by the standards of the Event; which is to say too busy and rushed (but I wasnt reading Superman or Supergirl, so my opinion is influenced by missing chapters). Heavy on Lobdell's influence. Long story short, Brainiac is defeated, the Doomsday virus is ripped out of Superman by a black hole, Clark ends up in deep space, and Lois loses her powers and memories. Maybe all of her memories from when she was under Brainiac's influence, maybe just the fact that Clark is Superman; either way it hasnt been revisted and likely wont be; she's back to status quo regardless. The public's opinion on Superman has taken a steep nosedive; while under the effects of the Doomsday virus he did some pretty terrible things, and Lois, under Brainiac's influence, made it worse by writing some pretty cruel articles. Between that, Trinty War (Superman "killed" Doctor Light remember) and a few other things, people are not very fond of the big "S" right now.

Shay Veritas was wounded (I think?) during Doomed and put into the Phantom Zone until she could be healed, but the projector was destroyed/lost/something (I forget) so she's stuck until a writer decides to use her again.

Geoff Johns is on Superman telling a story about a new superhuman with a Superman-esque origin named Ulysses. Im not reading it and the sales are not what you'd expect from Johns, but word is its readable. In the January issue (38) Superman is supposed to get new powers and a new costume, but thats not evidenced in the February solicits so who knows what Johns is playing at? Jimmy has lost, or is in the process of losing, all his money and Perry is trying to woe Clark back to the Planet. So once more, a return to the old status quo.

Tomasi just started Superman/Wonder Woman. It was solid. About what you should expect from the title really.

Supergirl also just got a new creative team and new direction. She's been recruited by some strange space-college that trains people to defend their homeworlds (or so they claim) and Kara has been drafted. Its introduced Maxima into the 52, brought Comet back (from Morrison's Action) and features Superboy wandering earth looking for answers. It was actually really damned good and well worth checking out. Oh, Kara also spent some time as a Red Lantern recently, and (thanks to Guy Gardner of all people) learned to let go of her anger. Mostly.

And Action....Pak's Action is dealing with the fallout of Doomed. It takes Clark two months to get back home from space, and when he returns he finds a world that is rebuilding itself and finding pride and purpose in the task, and the people are not overly thrilled to see Superman back. So Clark (not Superman) is helping rebuild Smallville and wondering whether the world needs him to be a symbol anymore. Every writer does this tired old "Does the World Need Superman?" thing and its quite annoying at this point. However, Pak's is better than most because Clark's not wallowing in self-pity and existential crisis. He's still smiling. He's still helping out. He's just thinking that, especially given the negative attitude towards him right now, the world is better off rebuilding on its own right now. Last issue saw the beginning of a new storyline with some serious horror overtones where some monster (or monsters, or telepathic virus, who knows right now?) has closed the town off from the outside world and is doing....stuff. Oh, Lana's parents died during Doomed and Lana is struggling with that loss, and blaming Clark despite knowing on an intellectual level she shouldnt. Basically, she's the mouth-piece for the anti-Superman sentiment. Also sleeping with Steel. Action is still good, but lost its momentum with Doomed, so we'll see if it's able to get it back.

That's pretty much it. Oh, the digital first Adventures of Superman is ending, or already ended, not sure. And in Injustice Year Three, it looks like Clark is still a douche. Not reading either, so I couldnt tell you.

Convergence is a two month thing in April, basically just filling in the time while DC moves to the West Coast. We're getting some old/mixed continuity Superman stories. Convergence itself doesnt appear to be much beyond a stop-gap measure, but everyone is thinking it'll tie-into whatever big Crisis event marks the anniversary next year.

Thats about it. Welcome back!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Thanks for the updates, folks, and the welcome backs - and for remembering me :wink:

Alas, the Lois-sidelining continues, but perhaps 2015 will turn that around somewhat.

Will be catching up on the reading over the weekend (hopefully), so maybe I'll be able to chime in on some of the discussions. I've read some of Johns' arc and haven't been too keen on it.

Hope you're all having a good week

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Thanks for the updates, folks, and the welcome backs - and for remembering me :wink:

Alas, the Lois-sidelining continues, but perhaps 2015 will turn that around somewhat.

Will be catching up on the reading over the weekend (hopefully), so maybe I'll be able to chime in on some of the discussions. I've read some of Johns' arc and haven't been too keen on it.

Hope you're all having a good week
    I know I'm late to the party..but welcome back old friend. I remember you from the old DCU message boards and of course here.

Yes the Lois sidelining continues....a shame. Otherwise New 52 Superman is in pretty good shape.

Hope to see you around