Default Batman Eternal, lots to catch up on

Ollo, folks.

Hope you're all well.

Haven't been around for a while (lots of changes at my end: job, country, writing novels, short stories, and fan-fiction (did a 'rewrite' of Man of Steel (I think some of you read that) and I'm currently working on Dawn of Justice and plodding along with Superman as a Muslim and a few other pieces)) and I'm a little out of the loop on The Dark Knight Detective - I fell by the way-side when 'Eternal' started, and the 'Zero Year' arc(s) weren't doing it for me (sorry).

Is 'Eternal' worth checking out?

Actually, I just realised: 'Forever Evil' felt like a mess. Should I re-read it or just let it go?

I'm going to go back and finish off Simone's Batgirl run, but what are the thoughts on the new direction?

Anyway, hope a few of you remember me...

Anyone?

Anyone?

Eternal has it moments, and Julia Pennyworth is the best new character ive seen in a while, but its not cheap. So i don't know. A number of book have skipped ahead of it even, so it not like it isn't skippable.

Forever Evil was what it was. U don't really need to reread it. The only books its really had an effect on was JL and Grayson. And even Grayson kind of let it go. Though Grayson is awesome. U should check it out. One of DCs best books.

The new Batgirl direction is pretty good, but quite different than Simone's Batgirl run. It is a continuation but the tone is drastically different. Its good though.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-21-2014 at 06:01 AM.

BANNED

I don't know who you are but hey. Batman Eternal is pretty great but I'm putting it down until the series is over, weekly series are not good for my budget.

I loved Forever Evil, I even loved Arkham War which most people seem to strongly dislike. Forever Evil is an awesome story though. Trinity War is meh, and I was told to read that one before I read Forever Evil. I don't think it's necessary.

Like Godlike said the new Batgirl is good but vastly different from Simone's run. Even the art style is different. Also, Barbara Gordon seems to get younger and younger every issue.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Eternal is not bad but too long, and some things like the Batwing/Spectre part are out of what a batman book should be for me.
    Julia Pennywoth is a good new entrance.

Forever Evil is a very good story, one of the best of N52 era unless you are a Nightwing fan (like me). The only books affected from it are Justice League and Nightwing, but there are some things that will affect the entire DCU in the future.

Grayson is an interesting book, I think it's a little overrated but everyone here seem to be excited about it. Maybe if the premises was'nt so confused and disoriented even an old Nightwing fan like me could enjoy better this book. Anyway it's worth reading.

Have yet to read the new Batgirl and i'm a little bit worried about this new direction.

Since I replied to your Superman thread, I'll chime in here too.

Batman Eternal has been pretty fun. It's a bit drawn out, but it has a big impact on the other Bat books. Some major events happen in Eternal that play into other books pretty heavily. So I'd say it's worth checking out. It's a good read and seems importatnt.

As for Forever Evil, not a lot of impact on the Bat-line. Though it does give you the set up for Grayson. Definitely check out Grayson. It's one of the more unique books DC offers, Dick Grayson is awesome in it, and it's really well written. It's more spy than superhero, but it's well worth the time. It also had one of the best Future's End tie in stories. So really, put this book on your list.

I can't really comment on Batgirl. It's not on my reading list, sorry.

Incredible Member cheesebiggins's Avatar

I've decided to catch up on Eternal, mainly because of the Amazon glitch that means it only costs just over £1 to buy on my Kindle for the first 21 issues!
    It seems to only work in the UK.

Incredible Member

Eternal is overall a great book, with mostly good storylines, though the Batwing Arkham material doesn't do anything for me IMHO. Is opened the door for some new books, reintroduced Spoiler(yay!!) and introduced Julia who is a strong addition to the cast. As others have mentioned, Forever Evil was good, and it led to another wonderful book, Grayson. Check that one out!

I thought Forever Evil was pretty great, I'd give it another read all together if I were you, and it gave us Grayson was has been awesome so far. I haven't been consistently following Eternal either, I've read a few issues here and there and it's an enjoyable book from what I've seen but it's too much for me to keep up with all of it. Maybe I'll get it in trade, but even then it'll probably still be pretty expensive so iunno.
    Formerly known as YMCMB

Welcome back.

Eternal is good clean fun. I won't ruin it for you but it's great to have a weekly Batman book of this quality.

Tec is reminiscent of some classic Bats.

Grayson is doing something unique that seems to play in the wake of Morrison's run.

Forever Evil wasn't for me.

Are you watching Gotham?
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Batman eternal is good but like others have said the batwing/spectre stuff was out there and was meh once that finished it picked right back up though

Whether Eternal is worth checking out really depends on how it ends. Many of the weaknesses of Eternal could be overlooked if the payoff is big. But its not strong enough to survive a flop ending.

I wish Snyder had written a lot more of the issues as the first four were the best ones. Then it slowly goes downhill.

The Arkham Asylum plot was stretched out way too long and was often confusing. (Like what happened to all the Arkham staff? Except for the possessed ones like Milo, you see a couple of staff people in like one early issue, the asylum is looking relatively normal, and then that's it, you don't see them again (you never see Jeremiah Arkham at all), and a few issues later, Arkham looks like something from Silent Hill. Where did they go? and why didn't they tell anybody about the fact that inmates were disappearing or the place was turning into the Amityville Horror?)

Meanwhile, the nano subplot has been hardly developed at all. I guess at some point it will come in to play, but they left that story out on the stove too long.
    Oh you know there's just this man-made plague that turns people into glowing-eyed zombies, take your time, y'all.

The Jason/Batgirl storyline also went on too long. At least the Arkham one had ramifications on future Batman stories, this one was totally pointless. Just an excuse to force these two characters in somewhere.

There are also some really bad characterizations. Who thought making Killer Croc a giant lizard with a heart of gold was a good idea? And Selina being a thief with a heart of gold (who can't stop making stripper pole references), continues to be repulsive and the complete antithesis of the original inspiration for the character. Barbara Gordon as a violent, explosive-tempered, miserable human being. . .with a heart of gold! Yuck. Jason Todd is now the reasonable, sensitive one. . .and he's got Dick envy!

And ultimately there have been very few surprises. Most of the important plot points had been spoiled beforehand some where else. Except for that one issue where you- know-who shows up (which we all knew was going to show up, we just didn't know when and how), there's been no shock and awe whatsoever.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I love Eternal.

The biggest problem with the book is the fact that it occasionally features artists who do not exactly emulate the house style and in fact have styles radically different than the baseline. It is occasionally great but ofttimes off putting. Luckily only a handful of issues are like this.

I liked the Spectre/Batwing arc but my biggest problem with it was that a) Batman has not really delved into the paranormal in the New 52, so it was jarring to see him whip out the Nth Metal gauntlet and b) the story was set up, forgotten about, then brought back just in time for Halloween (it probably could and should have been resolved earlier).

Astonishing Member

^Indeed one of Eternal's strongest aspects is its rotating cast of artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Vil_Dee View Post
    Who thought making Killer Croc a giant lizard with a heart of gold was a good idea?
    You are oversimplifying. Seely's Villains Month and Eternal developed Croc as a figure who has made himself the King and protector of the homeless and rat people of Gotham. He certainly doesn't have a heart of gold as he has no problem killing those who encroach on his supposed turf. He is more like a gang leader.

And Selina being a thief with a heart of gold
    When was she not? Most of the previous volume of Catwoman emphasized the heroine thief aspect of her.

Good to see that Eternal hasn't been that dividing. Will try to read it over the weekend.

Thanks for the updates and welcome backs (and thanks, manduck, for posting on both threads )

I've read the first couple of issues of Grayson - the issue of the facial recognition reminded me of Person of Interest - and there were good interplay. Quite fun so far.

Hopefully I'll catch up on the reading soon and can then start taking part in the discussions.

Enjoy the rest of your week