Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Default DC suing Valencia over bat-symbol?

lol anyone read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30143924

Think DC has a chance?
    Last edited by Baggie_Saiyan; 11-21-2014 at 10:20 AM.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

BANNED

"DC comments".

I take this story as seriously as the guy writing the article.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandKaiser View Post
    "DC comments".

I take this story as seriously as the guy writing the article.
    Oh haha!! I didn't even notice, I'll update the OP with an article from BBC instead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Oh haha!! I didn't even notice, I'll update the OP with an article from BBC instead.
    XD I was just messing around. Honestly DC does have a case, though Valencia's symbol shows a realer-looking Bat, it's way too similar to Batman's symbol.

This makes me wonder if DC ever tried to sue Bacardi for their logo. I remember seeing Bacardi billboards and advertisements when I was really young and thinking they were promo for a new Batman movie.

XD I was just messing around. Honestly DC does have a case, though Valencia's symbol shows a realer-looking Bat, it's way too similar to Batman's symbol.

This makes me wonder if DC ever tried to sue Bacardi for their logo. I remember seeing Bacardi billboards and advertisements when I was really young and thinking they were promo for a new Batman movie.
    Haha!!
    Fortunately for Bacardi their symbols head is different and has feet, so I can see them getting a way.

Yeah, If DC do win, I am very curious what Valencia will do. Use a different bat symbol or use a different symbol all together.

I wanna be your lover... emac1790's Avatar

Haha!!
    Fortunately for Bacardi their symbols head is different and has feet, so I can see them getting a way.

Bacardi was founded in 1862. IDK how long they had their bat logo, but it is possible that the logo has been around since the start of the company.
    What U putting in your nose?
    Is that where all your money goes (Is that where your money goes)
    The river of addiction flows
    U think it's hot, but there won't be no water
    When the fire blows

First they came for the mutants, and I said nothing. Then they came for the chickens, and still I said nothing... -cyberhubbs

DC is way off on this one, a bat depicted in that particular shape has been on the coat of arms for the spanish city of Valencia since the year 1503.

Here's a link to the wikipedia article passed thru Google translate.

For some reason the English entry neglects to mention the coat of arms.
    Last edited by Geralt of Rivia; 11-21-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by havok1977 View Post
    DC is way off on this one, a bat depicted in that particular shape has been on the coat of arms for the spanish city of Valencia since the year 1503.

Here's a link to the wikipedia article passed thru Google translate.

For some reason the English entry neglects to mention the coat of arms.
    Yeah I was thinking why now?, But it seems Valencia done a new iteration and that seemed to stir up the controversy

valenciaCF.jpg

but for some reason DC are comparing it to the Dark Knight logo:

Spanish-Soccer-Team-Valencia-Sued-by-DC-Comics-for-Bat-Logo-465572-2.jpg

DC or the newspapers?

And there's no problem with Valencia (or Bacardi) if they put the bat inside his logo.

The problem, is that Valencia wanted to trademark his Batman Beyond logo alone and exclusive for them for merchandising.

I don't know if DC (well, probably were Warner Bros lawyers) is right, but it's not just "DC goes mad and sues everything with a bat, even is much older than 1939".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomune View Post
    DC or the newspapers?

And there's no problem with Valencia (or Bacardi) if they put the bat inside his logo.

The problem, is that Valencia wanted to trademark his Batman Beyond logo alone and exclusive for them for merchandising.

I don't know if DC (well, probably were Warner Bros lawyers) is right, but it's not just "DC goes mad and sues everything with a bat, even is much older than 1939".
    But, why bother with the real facts when you can have a click-bait headline and another excuse to haters bash DC Comics, right?

Astonishing Member

It's such a classic example of the corporate mentality. Dear Warner Company - you can not copyright "Bats", and you can not copyright the concept of stylistic symbols.

DC changes their Batman logos all the time, eventually they'll have covered a wide, wide spectrum of the possible ways to create a stylistic logo of a bat. At that point will they suddenly have a case against Bacardi? Will they sue Halloween?

I'm all for rights, even the rights of a big company to defend its hard-stolen artistic creations and characters from blatant rip-offs, but it simply can't be cost-effective to go after everything even remotely similar.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Incredible Member

lol anyone read this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30143924

Think DC has a chance?
    Batman's first appearance was in 1939, while Valencia have been using a bat on their crest since 1919.
    Nope DC has no chance. Sorry DC but you went full retard here.

This is hilarious in many ways, but I'm of a mind that if someone has been using a symbol or logo long before someone else, sorry, you don't have a case. If anything, Valencia should be able to sue DC for capitalizing on "their" logo for 75 years. A fair system would only allow a corporation to trademark something like this if there was no prior, documented, proof that said symbol was already in use.

Still, one wonders how this could possibly affect DC on any level. Was DC planning to start a Bat-Themed soccer team, have it join the MLS, and start marketing merchandise? I get the corporate mindset, but this really makes these guys look like Grade-A fools. Why not let this go? The only possible effect this could have in regards to WB's bottom-line would be to get some kid at a game thinking, "Hmm. A big bat. Where have I seen that before? Ah! Batman! He's cool! I'll go buy some Batman movies/toys/comics!"

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I heard about this story yesterday. To add my two cents worth, I don't think DC has a legal leg to stand on since Valencia's futbol team has been in operation a good twenty years before Batman made his debut.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Can people read my last post?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomune View Post
    DC or the newspapers?

I think not...