Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Wii U

Fantastic Member

i do feel however, that wii u is nintendo's "last chance". somehow if they release another console in a few years, mario kart or smash's (pending) impact will not be enough anymore. of course knowing nintendo they might have some new, innovative games that might still help. lets see how splatoon does. because damit if that game doesn't sell, then i say nintendo is in a no win situation. Fans would say theyre tired of seeing mario over and over and over and yet when nintendo brings out something different, they still dont buy it.

I think it'll still be enough, personally. Plus with the announcement of the new Zelda game, fans are going crazy. Wii U's sales have been and will be increasing drastically. There was a sharp increase when Mario 3D World came out, then when Mario Kart 8 came out (the "Evil Luigi" memes helped it too I'm sure). Smash Bros. will be the ultimate seller of the system IMO. Nintendo just needs to remember to bring out games early on that people want. It should not take 2 years to bring out a new Mario game which revolutionizes the series.

Astonishing Member

The new quasi-GameCube controller should help a lot too. I imagine the game pad was a huge turn off for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by daisetsu100 View Post
    i do feel however, that wii u is nintendo's "last chance". somehow if they release another console in a few years, mario kart or smash's (pending) impact will not be enough anymore. of course knowing nintendo they might have some new, innovative games that might still help. lets see how splatoon does. because damit if that game doesn't sell, then i say nintendo is in a no win situation. Fans would say theyre tired of seeing mario over and over and over and yet when nintendo brings out something different, they still dont buy it.
    No, if the Wii U fails, Nintendo will try again with another console. They have the money to fail multiple times, but that happens less often then you think. Even when a console doesn't do very well, Nintendo still finds a way to make money. Its like their superpower.

Remember, the N64 was in a position just like the Wii U, with horrible sales and entire months of dry spells. They still went onto the Gamecube and the Wii after that.
    Life is but a dream

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Endless_Legend View Post
    They really are the Apple of the gaming world.
    Well, exvept for their stuff being cheaper and of higher quality.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Prime View Post
    I'm more excited for the Nintendo stuff that was shown at E3 than the other stuff for PS4 and xbox.
    Agreed. They're the only company that still makes actual game consoles. Or at least that will give me a significantly different experience than I would get just buying Steam games.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by daisetsu100 View Post
    Fans would say theyre tired of seeing mario over and over and over and yet when nintendo brings out something different, they still dont buy it.
    People have said that every Nintendo generation after the NES. Hasn't happened. History does not support this view and never has.

The only reason the Wii U hasn't sold well is because there aren't any titles out for it. The only reason that has happened is the reason I listed earlier. Now we're finally getting titles.

Plus, like many, you don't understand how much money Nintendo is sitting on from the Wii, DS, *and* Gamecube era. They could lose money like they have been for the next decade and still be okay.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Even when a console doesn't do very well, Nintendo still finds a way to make money. Its like their superpower. .
    Yep, this.

They made more profits from the Gamecube than either Sony and Microsoft did with the PS2 and Xbox.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Nintendo still finds a way to make money. Its like their superpower.
    Nintendo is Batman.

Really, the Gamecube did that well? I had no idea... I thought it was kind of lackluster with its game selection (barring Mario Kart: Double Dash and SSB: Melee, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Flatman View Post
    Really, the Gamecube did that well? I had no idea... I thought it was kind of lackluster with its game selection (barring Mario Kart: Double Dash and SSB: Melee, of course).
    That was also the era of the Gameboy Advance, which did really well.

Fantastic Member

I did not have a Gamecube. In fact, other than the original NES and the Wii U, all my Nintendo systems have been portables. However – given that (1) the Windwaker HD remake is one of the Wii U’s biggest games and (2) its prompted a lot of wishlists for other HD Gamecube games – I think its safe to say it’s still a fondly remembered system for many. Heck, one of the many VC complaints is the lack of GC games … though personally I’m just annoyed that the Wii VC is still so much larger two years later.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JCAll View Post
    Nintendo is Batman.
    Shhhhhh! Don't tell!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    That was also the era of the Gameboy Advance, which did really well.
    The Gameboy Advance printed money. But so did the Gamecube.

Thing is: It was significantly profitable on hardware at launch day. It wasn't a loss-leader, ever. Even when they cut it to 99$, it was still profitable.

BANNED

One of Nintendo's big "secrets" (not really a secret) is that all the money that other companies pour into R&D to get better clock speeds and performance and such, they pour into refinement and power-efficiency and lowering production cost (and thus, unit cost)

That's why Nintendo systems are always a little bit underpowered, but always make money. (Although the Gamecube wasn't really that underpowered, it was about halfway between the PS2 and the Xbox in performance)