Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Roc Upchurch Off "Rat Queens" Following Domestic Abuse Arrest

"Rat Queens" writer Kurtis J. Wiebe has announced that Roc Upchurch will no longer illustrate the popular Image Comics series.

Full article here.

formerlyknownas

Should the arrest turn into a conviction, I'd be curious to see if Image (and retailers) would dare to solicit trades drawn by a convicted spouse abuser.
    I know it's unlikely, but I wonder if in a case like this if it would be justified to bring in another artist to redraw those first ten issues.

BANNED

Well this is terrible both for Roc's Wife and the Series but I dont know I am more curious about how rights work with Image.

But yeah seperating the Artist and Series from the Person, I don't know if its going to be as good without it being Roc & Wiebe.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by formerlyknownas View Post
    Should the arrest turn into a conviction, I'd be curious to see if Image (and retailers) would dare to solicit trades drawn by a convicted spouse abuser.
    I know it's unlikely, but I wonder if in a case like this if it would be justified to bring in another artist to redraw those first ten issues.
    Nah, i think the trades will sell fine. They did the responsible thing by getting rid of the guy, and I doubt fans(most wont even know) will still support the product. Retailers really are not as in tune with the day to day comic stuff as people think. Many just focus on what sells and move on.

BANNED

Yeah Swift Action is kinda a protection against blowback.

Rights on Image books belong completely to the creative team. Image only publish the work, they don't own it. Upchurch won't lose any ownership of the work he's done, unless he and Wiebe come to some agreement on their own. As for "creator" ownership going forward, I don't know if it was a 50/50 split or how that will/could change now.

It's certainly hard imagining supporting the book if he keeps receiving money from future issues he's not involved with.

What an ugly situation. I feel terrible for all involved.

All I know is I am hoping for Fiona Staples on this title.

She's a little busy with her own book.

BANNED

Well yes but unless he gets bought out I am pretty sure he would still own rights especially since its in development for a tv show. Now he will probably ceded all decision making control to Weibe but I would imagine he would still get a certain cut.

As for hard to support a book if still keeps making money, I doubt they will ever publish that contract so no way the audience will know. I dont condone domestic violence but I dont think a guy deserves to lose all income off of his ideas either because of it. Assuming of course he is guilty. But yeah this stuff is not all that dangerous as long as it just a comic book but when u move into TV, Movies, Videogames it gets real interesting.

That info would be included in the copyright/ownership legal notice printed in each issue, and going forward would reflect current ownership, so yes, we would know.

Fantastic Member

"We’ve been separated for a couple months now but in this latest incident we decided to take our children out together for Halloween and she attacked me and I lost me temper and fought back. Which I shouldn’t have. I should’ve just walked away. I know…I knew it was wrong. So much so that when I heard the police had come to my friends house where I was staying that I immediately called them back to handle whatever needed to be done."

Yeah between this and when my mother stabbed my father when I was 14 for no reason (we were doing the washing up and then my mother walked in picked up a knife and stabbed him in the back and screamed turned and hit her and then after police were called he was arrested and charged while my mother received no punishment and he had never hit her ever) is why I'll stay single forever. It's just not worth the risk knowing that a women called cripple/maim you for no reason and you have no options.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    That info would be included in the copyright/ownership legal notice printed in each issue, and going forward would reflect current ownership, so yes, we would know.
    Good Point although I think there are ways around that.

Quote Originally Posted by kumagawa View Post
    "We’ve been separated for a couple months now but in this latest incident we decided to take our children out together for Halloween and she attacked me and I lost me temper and fought back. Which I shouldn’t have. I should’ve just walked away. I know…I knew it was wrong. So much so that when I heard the police had come to my friends house where I was staying that I immediately called them back to handle whatever needed to be done."

Yeah between this and when my mother stabbed my father when I was 14 for no reason (we were doing the washing up and then my mother walked in picked up a knife and stabbed him in the back and screamed turned and hit her and then after police were called he was arrested and charged while my mother received no punishment and he had never hit her ever) is why I'll stay single forever. It's just not worth the risk knowing that a women called cripple/maim you for no reason and you have no options.
    Well lets not jump to conclusions there but yeah we dont know the full story.

I'd like to see Kevin MacGuire or Art Adams taking over Rat Queens, both doing nothing nowadays. Get on it Kurtis! These guys will be perfect!
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 11-21-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

BANNED

Be interesting to see if the new artist goes with their own style or mimics. Because the art was pretty integral.

But while Kurtis has done a good job, not sure I can trust two straight white dudes to do a great job on diversity (it can be done takes a lot of work though without some lived experience), no offense so I figure Kurtis should probably be looking at people who are not straight white dudes.
    Last edited by JaggedFel; 11-21-2014 at 04:06 PM.

aww man the art was a draw for me to this book. I hope the next artist is as good.
    We need better comics