Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When Mark Waid's run on Daredevil has finished, will Daredevil be dark again?

With Mark Waid soon finishing his run on Daredevil, am interested to hear what you think what direction Marvel will Be taking Daredevil next. Am torn that Waid's run is ending, as Its been one of my favourite Marvel series for a long time. One of the reasons why his run has been great is because of the light hearted tone thats made the character enjoy himself. It's been a great change from the dark and gritty Daredevil stories.

So, when Waid is done, will Marvel continue to tell Daredevil stories that are light hearted? Or will they decide to return to the characters roots and make him dark again? As much as Waids run has been a hit with Marvel, I think that Marvel will decide to publish stores that are dark and gritty again. The main reason for this is do with the upcoming Netflix series, which is apperantly going to dark and gritty. Surely Marvel are going to tell stories similar to what the Netflix show will be airing.
    I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers... I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And we have, man, we have, all of us. Homes, and our families, normal lives. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it's giving us something. It is giving us a chance.

Dark and gritty Daredevil is the best Daredevil
    We need better comics

The only dark and gritty story from Daredevil that I've ever read is The Man without fear by Miller. I see what you mean, as I loved it. But am still gonna miss Waids run a lot though.
    I look around at us and you know what I see? Losers... I mean like, folks who have lost stuff. And we have, man, we have, all of us. Homes, and our families, normal lives. And you think life takes more than it gives, but not today. Today it's giving us something. It is giving us a chance.

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

Bendis Daredevil is the best Daredevil. Miller DD is also amazing. Diggle DD, not so much.

Extraordinary Member

The new run will probably imitate Frank Miller (and Bendis imitating Miller) more than Waid did. I don't know if they will go as gloomy as the title was before Waid, because it was being made fun of for constantly rehashing "Born Again" and finding new ways to make Matt as miserable as possible. Also the whole setting of Miller-style Daredevil is kind of dated - his New York is not the New York of today.

I think we might see something like Scott Snyder's Batman, which is heavily influenced by Miller but tries to update it to a more modern city and more modern fears.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

See, I still think that Waid's DD is plenty dark. It just doesn't hit you over the head with it every single page. Consider the current arc with the Purple Man's illegitimate kids running wild in San Francisco-- it's been a pretty brutal story.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    See, I still think that Waid's DD is plenty dark. It just doesn't hit you over the head with it every single page. Consider the current arc with the Purple Man's illegitimate kids running wild in San Francisco-- it's been a pretty brutal story.
    I think when people describe it as not dark they're talking about two things that set it apart from the previous 30 years of Daredevil. One is that it acknowledges Matt has a pretty good, fun life in many ways. And the other is that it doesn't look dark and grim. It can do dark and grim stories and make Matt's life miserable as usual, but fundamentally it seems to come from an optimistic place in a way we hadn't seen since the ending of Born Again.

BANNED

you know, i hope the next volume of Daredevil is a bit darker.

i know it's loved by many, but Waid's run bored me to tears to be honest.

BANNED

With the new daredevil tv series coming soon and it's stated to be very i marvel like more dark than agents of shield, cap 2 and the latest age of ultron movie we'll definitely see daredevil return to darkness which is a shame since you can do much with a lighthearted action adventure take on daredevil

The uber-dark, moody Daredevil is played out. Most of it just consists of aping what Frank Miller did with questionable results. That's why Waid's run has been so much fun to read and why it's had me interested in the character again for the first time in years.

That said, I'm guessing Marvel will probably let the Netflix series set the tone of the book. Which means he'll be the usual angsty, tortured blah blah blah again and probably back in NYC. Which means I'll have another book to drop from my list.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I think when people describe it as not dark they're talking about two things that set it apart from the previous 30 years of Daredevil. One is that it acknowledges Matt has a pretty good, fun life in many ways. And the other is that it doesn't look dark and grim. It can do dark and grim stories and make Matt's life miserable as usual, but fundamentally it seems to come from an optimistic place in a way we hadn't seen since the ending of Born Again.
    I'll agree on the "it doesn't look dark" as Samnee's art and the brighter pallette doesn't scream "grim'n'gritty", but almost every issue of DD I've read since Waid started has this subtext of Matt walking on the razor's edge of another nervous breakdown. Superficially, it seems like fun to be Matt because he's putting up a good front, but that's because he's in denial about his life, which is why Foggy was checking him. Then, with his move to San Fran, things seemed better for him-- at least after they got Foggy out of danger to continue his treatment-- but since he's been there, he's had The Shroud using him as a pawn/punching bag in a gang war, revelations about his family life and the lies he's believed, and the Purple Man's kids running wild destroying anyone in their way. There's been some pretty heavy stuff going down, but Waid's assuming that we don't need to be told how hard Matt has it every other page.

In Waid's DD, we've had: murder, grave-robbing, decapitation, cancer, more murder, racist conspiracies, dark magic, organized crime wars, family secrets involving violence and post-partum depression, and mind-controlling, psychopathic teens run amok. This isn't bright stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    The uber-dark, moody Daredevil is played out. Most of it just consists of aping what Frank Miller did with questionable results. That's why Waid's run has been so much fun to read and why it's had me interested in the character again for the first time in years.

That said, I'm guessing Marvel will probably let the Netflix series set the tone of the book. Which means he'll be the usual angsty, tortured blah blah blah again and probably back in NYC. Which means I'll have another book to drop from my list.
    Well said. If DD becomes grim & gritty again I'm done with the book again...

I've loved Waid's run on the title. Miller's run is the definitive version of DD, I think, but I really think any attempts to ape him are doomed to come off as unoriginal and weak. And I agree, Waid's DD is hardly a "light" take on the character, it's just that he's trying to give Matt some kind of positive attitude even in the face of all the misery and conflict in his life. I sincerely hope they replace him with someone of quality, and someone with a unique take on the character.

Btw, when is his run ending and where was this announced?

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    Btw, when is his run ending and where was this announced?
    It was noted in Marvel's Feb 2015 solicits that it was the last arc by Waid. it did not say how long the arc will be....

Greetings, Chicken!!! Mantis Girl 94's Avatar

I wish it was like the first 6 or 7 issues of the original series. Then I would buy it forever. More Cat-man, Ape-Man, Bird-Man please!