• I'll wait to see how white fox is

7 2.25%
  • Daken

31 9.97%
  • Other (please include below)

41 13.18%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

"I would have been the ruler of the world, if it wasn't for that meddling kid!"
    Baron Helmut Z.

jolt.jpg
    Last edited by mugiwara; 11-25-2014 at 04:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    If you remember that stuff I'm guessing you remember Gene Day as well?

And yeah, Deadly Hands...it's shows up but it's always more money than I'm willing to spend. Same thing with the Savage Hands Tresurary Edition

I'm like I want these comics, but I'm not spending 60 buck for 'em!
    I'm about 8 issues short of a complete run on Deadly Hands. And like you I'm trying to get them for the low . Oh yeah and I really liked Gene Day's work as well. It's just something about that Moench/Gulacy/Zeck run that really kicked MoKF into high gear for me. I'm not far from having a complete run there either.

has anyone mentioned the gorgon yet?
    although he is a little overpowered at times (which i hate) he is kinda awesome

Shang Chi for me.

Astonishing Member Shinglepants's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dzub View Post

has anyone mentioned the gorgon yet?
    although he is a little overpowered at times (which i hate) he is kinda awesome
    I love the Gorgon, I've only seen him show up a few times but he always whups ass. Wolverine, Elektra, Phobos, Shang-Chi, he's basically bested the greatest hand to hand combatants in the world, plus a god!

Amazing Member

As the only Asian character who had his own ongoing (and a very successful one, at that), I would have to go with Shang-Chi. Sure, he's your stereotypical Bruce Lee-influenced kung fu archetype, but he fits that role so well. And despite how some portrayals have him babbling fortune cookie nonsense, Shang always spoke proper ("normal") English in his original series, and his side plots occasionally dealt with issues of racism. Even his low tolerance of being referred to as "Chinaman" by his close colleague, Black Jack Tarr, is a testament to this. Plus, he has some genuinely "manly" moments compared to most other male Asian characters in Marvel, in contrast to someone like Amadeus Cho, who's portrayed as a bit of a wimp when it comes to physical challenges. There's also Jimmy Woo, but he seems to be entirely irrelevant when not in an Atlas book.

Sunfire also has his moments, but more often than not, he comes off as either a jerk or useless. Then there are villains and antiheroes like the Mandarin, Gorgon, Silver Samurai and Radioactiveman who are increasingly irrelevant in the company of their more infamous peers. This may be a personal opinion, but there are very few female Asian characters in Marvel that I think deserve to exist. The popular ones, for example, range from those strictly a product of sexual fetishes (looking at you, Psylocke and Mantis), to Wolverine's groupies (Jubilee, Armor, etc.). If you ask me to name a female Asian in Marvel that meets the same level of respect as say, Lady Shiva, Cassandra Cain or Dr. Light (Hoshi), I'd have to do some digging. Maybe Colleen Wing?

Secretly in the Shadows Starleafgirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    Sunfire also has his moments, but more often than not, he comes off as either a jerk or useless. Then there are villains and antiheroes like the Mandarin, Gorgon, Silver Samurai and Radioactiveman who are increasingly irrelevant in the company of their more infamous peers. This may be a personal opinion, but there are very few female Asian characters in Marvel that I think deserve to exist. The popular ones, for example, range from those strictly a product of sexual fetishes (looking at you, Psylocke and Mantis), to Wolverine's groupies (Jubilee, Armor, etc.). If you ask me to name a female Asian in Marvel that meets the same level of respect as say, Lady Shiva, Cassandra Cain or Dr. Light (Hoshi), I'd have to do some digging. Maybe Colleen Wing?
    Nico doesn't count?

Sounds like Marvel's trying to change all that with Silk and White Fox. They're very new right now, but I think they're going to be respectable for a long time to come...
    Prεtty Pεnny
    I have no speech. No name. I live in the action of death. The blood-cry, the penetrating wound. I am destruction.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7.../penance-1.jpg
    <----------------------------------->

Keep the snark to a minimum. ~ The CBR Community Behavior Rules

"What? I can't promise that!" ~ Starleafgirl

Original Join Date: 10-31-2007

I voted Nico, since she's incredibly powerful (Sorcerer Supreme candidate), lead her own team (Runaways) and very American (she's white in the original pitch).

BTW for some reason I always feel that Kate Bishop is ambiguously Asian (I know she isn't). Jim Cheung only draw one kind of face, so you can't tell anything; But David Aja drew her in a very Asian way, probably because he drew too many Iron Fist before that; Jamie McKelvie drew her in a more ambiguous way, probably because of her black hair which is a rare trait in superheroes that make me feel that way. I mean her eyes aren't small or slant like Nico etc. or something, but you know many Asians don't look like that neither.

Nico, hands down. I loved me some Runaways!

trashcanman123

I vote for James (Jimmy) Woo, agent of atlas. He really got me into that comic. i'm kinda surprised no ones mentioned him, he's like an asian nick fury.

atlas 1.jpg
    atlas2.jpgatlas.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Geno View Post
    As the only Asian character who had his own ongoing (and a very successful one, at that), I would have to go with Shang-Chi.
    Errrr... Daken's had TWO on-goings

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_1981 View Post
    Sorry, but where is Sunfire?

I second this! Sunfire!

Quote Originally Posted by trashcanman123 View Post
    I vote for James (Jimmy) Woo, agent of atlas. He really got me into that comic. i'm kinda surprised no ones mentioned him, he's like an asian nick fury.

atlas 1.jpg
    atlas2.jpgatlas.jpg
    Eternal Khan > Nick Fury

Daken, Nico, and Sunfire gets my vote. Absolutely LOVE Daken.

And yes, it's a shame the lack of Asian characters, and other minority characters in this case. Especially as these stories are suppose to generally take place in NYC where there's a LARGE population of Black, Latino, and Asian communities. But you wouldn't be able to tell at all in these books (or media for that matter).

Let's not forget Neal Shaara, Thunderbird III.